Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 241 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 401 reviews
on July 24, 2012
This has been on my personal hi-def wishlist since HD was invented. Overall I'm very happy with the presentation, and relieved not to be disappointed after the long wait. I'll break my specific observations down by category:

Performance: In short, if you've even heard of Peter Gabriel, you don't need me telling you this is him at his peak. Not that I don't love the more recent work, and see the artistic merit, but he has the fire here, and it's blazing up strong. He assembled an amazing cast of musicians for these shows, and Paula Cole in particular is gorgeous and gives as good as she gets vocally all the way through playing against Gabriel (a true achievment for any singer). It just doesn't get better than this...

Video: A lot of work was apparently invested in cleaning and digitizing the original 16mm film. There is not a scratch or speck of dirt to be seen. Overall it looks great. There's a little image softness especially in longer shots, but it's largely due to the hazy auditorium environment as much as the small image size of the base film stock. A small amount of grain is noticable now and again but that's to be expected with the 16mm original. Colors are vibrant and beautifully saturated.

Audio: There are two audio tracks, an LPCM stereo track and a DTS-HD surround track. Neither is a bad choice for listening. The LPCM track is clean and smooth. The DTS-HD adds some very restrained ambience effects, but nothing that becomes distracting. Personally I slightly prefer the stereo track, but it's a close call.

Overall I consider this BD a bargain at the price, and am thrilled to finally have a superior version in my concert library.

Track listing:

Don't Give Up
In You Eyes

Bonus Tracks:
Red Rain
Steam (remixed "quiet" version paired with tour photo montage)
The Rhythm of the Heat (New Blood Live performance)

Special Features:
Behind the Scenes documentary
Time Lapse film of stage setup
1414 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 26, 2012
Not long ago, I played the regular DVD of SWL and was reminded how amazing the concert was. Especially since I got to see the show live myself. My only disappointment was the quality of the video now on the flat screen. But now, that issue has been solved to with the Blu-ray release of Secret World Live. It's has all the great songs from the original concert DVD, remastered in phenomenal HD sound; and, the video has been remastered from the original 16mm film to blu-ray quality. Now, it's not going to be eye popping HD, but it's the best transfer of film to HD that I've seen. You also get a bonus concert footage of "Red Rain" (which was on the concert CD... but not the DVD).

This is a must have for any PG fan..

Now... Will they do the same for POV?
on November 16, 2016
I have always been a fan of Genesis and Peter Gabriel. I already own his live concert DVD he released a few years back with him performing with an orchestra. I was just browsing on Amazon and was reading up on some of his other live DVD set's. This one caught my eye for one reason that it was Peter in his prime. The other reason being that it has Paula Cole singing back up vocals. I have been a fan of her for many years. Paula has a beautiful voice that stands out over your average backing singer. Check out her solo CD's if your not familiar with her. This DVD looks and sounds excellent. Peter's stage show and lights are amazing. I wish I got to see him in concert for that tour. If your a fan at all take a chance and buy this. You will LOVE IT !!
on January 25, 2016
There is no better Peter Gabriel concert film than this. Yes, the DVD suffers from some haze and fuzziness in spots, but the performances are beyond reproach and are, in fact, the best ever captured on film for Gabriel. Paula Cole, as his chief backup singer, is not only beautiful but also a beautiful and fully complementary vocalist. The entire in-the-round concert is one to treasure, and the performances of the songs "Sledgehammer," "Don't Give Up," "In Your Eyes," and "Red Rain," all from his brilliant SO album, confirm that Peter Gabriel is an artist of extraordinary talent. Do NOT be put off by the caveats and quibbles voiced elsewhere in this "review" thread. If you love great rock/pop music, you will not be disappointed by SECRET WORLD LIVE on DVD. Pounce!
VINE VOICEon July 4, 2014
I was clued into this concert Blu ray by some other reviews for different concert DVDs of Peter Gabriel.
This one was affordable enough, and I like him and his music enough to add this to my collection.
I'm glad I did.
I don't have a ton of concert DVDs, but this one, especially with the excellent soundtrack on the Blu ray format makes this really worthwhile. For me, it's like you're at the concert.
The opening is just really cool, of him rising inside a British phone booth, starting out with "Talk to me".
There are a lot of theatrical level interpretations of the music, and he does try a bit at the dance choreography, but that's not really his strong suit. The music, and the quality of the music on this Blu ray stands alone, and for that, it's well worth it if you are a fan.
on March 24, 2017
I watched the preview of steam and decided to buy it. I was not disappointed. I have liked various songs by Peter Gabriel but never seen a concert by him. You could see that all the musicians were having a great time and it was a lot of fun to listen and watch. Just so many unique moments.Come Talk To Me, Digging in the Dirt, Steam, and of course Solsbury Hill to name a few. Great show.
on August 19, 2012
I bought this concert because I was a big fan of "So". I find Peter Gabriel mesmerizing in this concert and extremely moving especially during the 2nd half when things really get going. When a musical artist penetrates you and you feel their message, you are completely drawn in. The African rhythms only add to the power of his music. Fantastic show.

The 16mm film transfer is quite good, better than video would have looked at that time. It's a little hazy and soft but lower your brightness do get decent blacks and it takes on a more film-like look.

Having watched this a few times I can with certainty say that you'll need to lower your brightness on your tv...as low as you can stand it in fact, the different hues become so much more visible with richer saturuation (like film should look). Also, I find the PCM stereo soundtrack to be better than the surround track. Bass is better and soundstaging is much better. Red Rain as an extra is only available in PCM stereo and it has amazing bass. I imagine the original track was in stereo so no wonder it sounds better. It may be 18 years later but thank you Peter and Co for a wonderful show. I'll watch it again and again.
on July 6, 2015
I think this is one of the best concerts ever filmed. Peter Gabriel always brought creativity to his performances which really sets him apart from many lead vocalists. The production and choreography of the entire concert makes this one of the most enjoyable and amazing shows you'll ever see...and the sound and tightness of the band is flawless. He played a number of great songs from his catalog. Worth every penny to have this one.
on April 4, 2016
If, like me, you have owned this wonderful performance for years on that grainy DVD copy, and thought there was no hope for a proper high def transfer from that 16mm print, think again! It is so clear! Do not hesitate for one second if you own a bluray player. Buy this now! The sound is also improved, but was always very good in DTS, now DTS HD, on the DVD. Fast service from the seller too. Thanks!
on January 17, 2013
Nearly twenty years after the fact, I have finally, and happily, discovered this show. Peter Gabriel's album "Us" had not impressed me as much as his previous work, and noting how heavily the Secret World tour drew from that album, I had dismissed it out of hand. That was one of the biggest mistakes I could have made, and the power of this performance has made me favorably re-evaluate the album!

For many years I have held the Talking Heads movie "Stop Making Sense" as the gold standard of live performance rock movies, but now "Secret World Live" has knocked it from the throne. Seldom do concept, direction, stagecraft, performance and enthusiasm combine like they do here. At three minutes into the disc, when the camera cut to Paula Cole on that bare, round second stage, I knew that something very special was captured here, and by the time that "Shaking the Tree" was over, I knew that this was a tour de force, worthy of multiple viewings.

The absence of many of Gabriel's earlier hit songs only serves to draw his later more introspective work into a cohesive whole. The play list is just about right.

As for disc quality, I'm talking here about the new release of 2012, on Blu-ray or DVD, so just ignore all of the negative comments about quality in reviews prior to this release. This is the new stuff. I don't care how awful the earlier DVD was, and I will never watch it anyway. It's sad how reviews of totally different products and releases are lumped into the same pile here.

The show was recorded on 16mm film, and an amount of graininess is present, more in some shots than others, but the new transfer is very good, and the sound quality is wonderful. I've scrutinized this performance many times now, and most of the synchronization problems others have noted seem to have been worked out; the few I detect I will attribute to the show being a compilation of performances on two separate nights. Hey, Amazon: how about editing your editorial review for this product? That review is ten years old, and now inaccurate. And as for comments about pre-recorded or programmed music tracks and video, isn't it obvious? Just part of the show, folks.

This disc belongs in your collection. The Blu-ray disc is fantastic, and I have bought DVD copies for my friends.