Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Peterson Field Guide To Eastern Birds Large Format Ed
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

on January 12, 2007
I mistakenly thought that the large print version would be the same as my trusted old Peterson Guide, just in large print. Nope! The format is entirely different and greatly abbreviated. It's misleading to title this text the same as the original. This may be a nice guide for a novice bird watcher for bird feeder identification. I gave my copy away to a shut-in with minimal bird identifying experience.
Comparisons of similar species and views of both sexes and juveniles make this book my first pick to identify a new bird. The drawings, complete with arrows pointing to defining features, speed identification. Although it is large print, which is easy on the eyes, there is really not all that much text. The book is mostly colored drawings showing several birds to a page with their expected location maps and a few key facts. Both sexes and young are shown if they are different and I love the arrows which draw your attention quickly to things that make this species unique from another. Special comparison pages show all the similar warblers together, for example, and highlight the differences.

The advantage of really good drawings over photographs is that individual birds can differ so you may not see a match as easily. Species may change color as they grow, or with the season, they can look very different when fluffed out than otherwise. Photos don't often catch good views in flight and lighting may affect the color you see or don't see. Drawings can overcome all those issues and give you a good representation from different angles, etc. I love good photographs, but find the drawings help me more often in early identifications.

While this book is larger than I want to carry in the field, it has so much useful information packed into it with surprisingly few words, it is the first I reach for at home. For example, it allowed me to successfully identify the young Eastern Towhee that recently turned up under my feeders. This baby's coloring is nothing like its parents and none of the other books or software showed or described it.

While I turn to other sources for in-depth information about a bird, first I have to know what kind it is. Some are easy to identify and other books work fine, especially if it's a common bird. But since this book includes so many types, great drawings, comparisons and arrows pointing out what specifically to look for, it's the best first place to look. Highly recommended identification resource.
on July 24, 2011
I was extreemly happy to find this book in larg print. This was a Birthday gift for My Sister who is a readaholic and has problems reading small print. The book is bold and pictures are simply beautiful.
on July 26, 2007
This easy on the eyes large format edition is a great book for all ages and levels of bird watching. The soft cover makes it light to handle or take with you in the field. The large format makes identifying birds much easier and quicker. Well layed out and practical.
on March 9, 2014
After moving the Eastern US a few years ago, I needed a resource guidebook to help me identify many of the birds that were frequenting my property. Couldn't be happier with it, and keep it on a nearby shelf with a pair of binoculars on top of it.
on December 28, 2015
My dad's eyesight is limited and this book is terrific for him. Large print, large photographs. Detailed descriptions. Very good detail with focus on variants of species.

It's a great combination with his bird feeders. He uses it every day.

I highly recommend.
on March 16, 2015
I bought this as a gift for my sister. I am very familar with Petersen's guides but my sister was not. She loves the large format and the aids identifying similar species. Great book and great service!
on March 28, 2016
I gave this to a friend as a 'gift'. She commented to me she's used it to look up a bird that recently visited her feeder and she was unfamiliar with it. I have other bird books and this is very comparable. The pictures are in color and details about the birds are very good.
on January 29, 2006
I purchased this book for my mother, who is in her 70s. She recently started birding so this was her first field guide-easy to read, large pictures make identification very easy for the beginning birder of any age.
on June 20, 2014
This large format users guide gives the basics in images of birds to help identify or eliminate misidentification of flying friends you might encounter. Indexed, easy to handle, nice binding-and nice price for the experienced and newby birder.