Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,883 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,080 reviews
on February 27, 2015
About a year ago, my boyfriend and I adopted a six month old kitten and of course, we needed a carrier for her, so we got a smaller Petmate carrier. As she grew, we realized it was getting a little small for her. We took her on a trip to Florida in it and although she could lay down fine, there was absolutely no room for her to stand. When we adopted our second kitten last September, we knew that we had to get something bigger so we could put both of the cats in it if we needed to.

At the end of November, we decided we were going to Minnesota for Christmas and were bringing the cats with us, so I got on Amazon and started looking at carriers. We were debating between this and the Aspen Pet Taxi Fashion Kennel, also by Petmate, because it was a bigger version of our old one. Both of the carriers we looked at were of the larger size, NOT small. The size of this carrier was the 24". We liked the Aspen Pet Taxi because it had two compartments on the top for holding treats, which was great, but we ultimately decided on this carrier because of the two door option. I must say, this was absolutely the right choice. The top door allows more light in and makes the carrier feel more open instead of a cramped little compartment. Also, the two door option allows us two different ways to put the cats in, which we have found using the top door makes life much easier (not as much struggling!). The biggest plus is that not only can a cat sit up in this carrier, both of our cats fit comfortably in it with plenty of room to move around. The cats stayed in the carrier for the majority of the trip to Minnesota, but I think that had to do with them feeling more comfortable in the carrier than out in the open car since we would leave the carrier open at home and let them explore as they wanted.

I bought this carrier for only $28, which was an absolute steal in my opinion, and am waiting for the price to come down closer to $30 to buy another one since it would be nice for each cat to have her own. The only downside is that because it is so large and the cat has room to move around, it is very unsteady to carry it since the cat moves her weight back and forth from the front to the back. However, this is a very small issue that does not affect my rating of this carrier. As far as the price goes on Amazon compared to other stores (PetSmart, PetCo, Walmart, etc.) it is about the same everywhere I looked, maybe a little cheaper on Amazon. Overall, I would HIGHLY recommend this carrier, not only for cats but for smaller dogs as well. Even at $36, it is still a good deal.

UPDATE:
Since I've had some comments about having two cats in one carrier, I thought I'd clarify a little in my review. The one cat was a year and a half and the other a six month old kitten who wasn't full grown yet. We only had the carrier doors closed when we were getting in and out of the car and when we were in high traffic areas. Other than that, the cats had free roam of the car and access to a litter box but chose to sleep in the carrier together most of the time. Once our kitten had reached adult size, we bought another one of these carriers and currently use both when traveling or taking the cats to the vet. We could probably manage to use one carrier for both cats when making short trips, the vet's office for example, but the carrier can get quite heavy and hard to carry with two cats inside.
review image
55 comments| 166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 5, 2015
As you can see, my cat loves the carrier. The top loading and side loading is great. The screw-together format for the top and bottom keeps the carrier together much better compared to the 'clip' together that other carriers have.
review image
0Comment| 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2015
Having just adopted brother and sister kittens that are so adorable they deserve nothing but the best, I chose the Petmate two door top load pet kennel. When the two kennels arrived I felt like I had won the lottery. There are so many to choose from and I wanted one that was safe, secure and attractive and the Petmates checked the box on each level. To get the 5 month old kittens used to the kennels, I put them on the floor, side by side, with the front doors open. It only took minutes for them to look them over and decide to walk inside. I had also ordered MidWest Quiet Time Pet Beds (fleece~~22" x 13") for them and they fit perfectly. The side-by-side kennels reminded me of travel trailers (which they are in the end) so we call the space they occupy the "Trailer Park". The kittens are often in their "trailer homes" napping and I feel sure when I need to take them to the Vet's they won't be as spooked as if it was brand new. I heartily recommend you consider this product and the bed as well.
review image
0Comment| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2012
Good sturdy pet carrier but much smaller overall than the 24 inch kennel. I would suggest going up to the next size if you have an adult cat over 8 lbs., especially if you have a long drive to the vet or they need to be in it for an extended period of time. This is a good size for a kitten or toy size puppy.
review image review image
77 comments| 513 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2016
Just got this today, I finally got something better suited for my large cat. We are a military family so move often and this will work great for our upcoming move this summer. I was having a hard time finding something I liked, was a decent price and big enough but not too big. I was skeptical on ordering this, afraid it may be too small or end up with the wrong bolts as many reviews stated but everything worked out great. Make sure to order it from Amazon as the seller and i think that takes care of the bolt issue some were having. Size.. I can't say exactly his weight but i know he's about 15lbs, he has plenty of room to stand up and turn around if he'd like, with some toys. He's never had a crate before but surprisingly seems to like it, I have it left out for him to come and go as he pleases so when its time to shut him in maybe it won't be so traumatic (He has a very hard time traveling!) Love that the top opens up as i know that tends to be easier to use when they are a bit panicked (like at the vet). He's 7 years old and set in his ways so I'm glad to see he's taken a liking to it. I'll post some pics to hopefully help others with size questions as i found photo reviews the most helpful for me
on May 15, 2012
I wish I got this a long time ago. The plastic is a lot thicker than I thought it would be, I didn't imagine this to be as heavy duty as it is. I hardly ever use the side door, the top door is so much easier. Gone are the days of shoving my cat in upside down and sideways and narrowly avoiding claws in my face. With the top loading all I have to do is pick up the cat and drop her in without her even realizing what happened. It is also a pretty big carrier, so if you have a larger cat I would suggest getting this. My cat is a female maine coon mix so she weighs almost 10 lbs at her skinny weight. The other cat carriers made for typical house cats were too small for her. This is maybe a little big for her but it's better than the one that was too small. The top loading door is also pretty sturdy, I was worried that it would bend when I picked up the carrier but I've had no problems with it moving at all.
33 comments| 363 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2013
I purchased the 24" carrier for my cat and after putting it together, realized that the top loading door did not properly close. One side of the pin that is supposed to lock in was not long enough to lock into place. We looked extensively at it and it was clearly a manufacturing issue. This is a problem because if both sides of the top door do not lock into place, when you pick up the carrier (even without an animal in it) the unlocked side gives/opens slightly and a stressed animal could easily push its way out and escape. We returned to Amazon and they were great and quick with sending a replacement. We received the replacement and the top door locked into place just fine but on this new one, the front door (completely different door style than the original one we received) would not easily open and close. The coil would jam so you'd have to really put some muscle in to ensure the door was locked into place. Seems pretty clear to me that the manufacturer has some quality control issues. If this were a $20 cheapo carrier, I could maybe looks past it but considering it's almost $40, I expect more from it.

FYI I read a couple reviews saying the size ran smaller than what they thought so I went with this bigger size for my 8lb cat. It's almost too big so hopefully that helps if you're trying to figure out what size to get. Please make sure you test both doors before loading and transporting your animal. I would be nervous using this top load style with a pet heavier than 12lbs because the pins that lock into place for the top door doesn't seem substantial enough to hold much weight.

One other thing I do not like about this carrier is that to attach the top with the bottom piece, it uses screws and plastic bolts. I suppose with the top loading door, having snap closures instead isn't necessarily needed but if you want to be able to take the carrier apart to save space while storing, it's a real pain.
on July 18, 2016
One of my cats is the hardest cat I've ever had to get into a carrier. With this I can place him in the carrier and shut the door before he even realizes what's happening. It cuts down so much on the stress for me AND for him now that I don't have to wrangle him anymore.

Unless you have a very very small cat, I would recommend the 24 inch kennel. I know they say the small one is up to 10 pounds, but my cats are ten pounds and I don't think I would have been able to fit them comfortably in the smallest size.

I had no problems with the quality of the carrier either like another reviewer who said the holes for the door weren't properly placed. My best guess is user error for that one since it's something I actually did as well before I figured it out. When assembling there are very visible holes in the top by the door, but those AREN'T the holes you should be putting the door into. The door hinges go in the little covered protrusions which are spaced wider than the visible holes.

Anyway, all in all this was worth every penny. It makes getting to the vet so much less stressful for both of us.
on July 23, 2016
I have 2 cats, a 10 pound and a 13 pound. The 13 pound one is pretty big, so I was hesitant when I saw the specifications (10 pounds and under). However, I have great news: It most likely will work for most 13 pound cats! My 13 pound cat was able to fit into it and turn around completely. It's also comfortable enough for him to sleep in (which he does for around 2-3 hours a day).

Tip: To avoid a lot of stress when putting cats in carriers, you should always get them accustomed to it first. Just put it around the house with some catnip or something. Best case scenario is they use it as a bed sometimes, but even if they don't, as long as they are around it long enough it'll be fine. They won't struggle or protest nearly as much.

Assembling took around 20 minutes total since I was a bit confused about what to do with the screws, but I figured it out soon enough.

Overall, all around great carrier for a great price, and fits even more than specified.
on June 4, 2016
This carrier met my expectation and actually it was awesome carrying my 12 pound rabbit to and from the Vet or any other place i bring him too... Measurements are true to size and the top opening is convinient . Its very easy to assemble and even my vet was impressed the material and door latch is awesome .