Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 25 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 29 reviews
on February 26, 2011
I run a paranormal investigation group in Portland, OR and currently use the SIMA SL-20IR (3 of them), a Sony HVL-IRM and a Sony HVL-IRH2. The best light of all for illumination is the SIMA but with a short battery life (~45 minutes) and a brutal recharge time (~3 hours) they aren't very practical. Both Sony lights and the Phantom give off either a square or round beam of IR light whereas the SIMA is more of a flood light that illuminates the entire area. However, with the battery issues I was looking for a decent light that would do the job.

The Phantom runs on a 9-volt with approximately a 12 hour life making it ideal. It is very light and smaller than I expected which is nice. It does emit a round beam of light but is bright in zero light conditions. I'm still hoping someone can make a light as good as the SIMA but with the battery life of the Phantom or Sony lights.

I own 3 SIMA lights which adds up to around $110 but all three came with a bracket. I ordered the Phantom Lite with a bracket and it came to around $80 so it does save you some money in the long run, just doesn't give you as good illumination as the SIMA's. So if you want to avoid swapping out lights and constantly charging them, the Phantom is a good choice overall. I personally would like to see the Phantom ship WITH a bracket for around $60 but that's just wishful thinking. I would have given the light 5 stars if it shipped with a bracket and the beam of light was more flood light than spot light.

A demo of this light can be seen on YouTube under the channel name PortlandGhosts.
44 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2014
I'm a long time amateur photographer, that just recently stepped into the world of IR/UV photography. I use a converted full spectrum Canon 20D with the (25 light)Phantom Lite Ultraviolet Illuminator and the (25 light)Phantom Lite Infrared Illuminator mounted side-by-side on a StroboFrame attached to my camera. During a recent all night lock-in at the Trans Allegheny Lunatic Asylum I shot several hundred "in the dark" photos and both Phantom lights worked very well. The UV Illuminator did extremely well at fully lighting a standard 10x12 room and did an adequate job of lighting extremely long hallways. The IR Illuminator did equally well in both scenarios. Both Illuminators mounted securely to the flash frame with the adaptors that were provided. During a full night of usage, I did not need to change the battery in either light. I'm quite pleased with the construction and the functionality of these lights! The Phantom Lights enabled me to capture some awesome pictures!!! I definitely consider this a good value purchase and will purchase a second set to use for stationary lighting. Many Thanks!!!!
on October 25, 2012
Prior to purchasing this light I had a few illuminators that I made. I had high expectations for this one based on what I have seen on youtube. When I received the product I found that they have changed the design to this black cased one. The leds are closer together and the light is very dim. Not useful at all for out doors. However my home made ir lights shined just as far and much brighter but only lasts about 6 hours on a 9v battery before it starts dimming. The reason this ir light lasts so long is because it is so dim I think. I would not purchase another of this specific light however I would be willing to give phantom lite one more try with a different product. The product is ok and it would be good for indoor use only. I wish I could have gotten the old model... Your lucky if you get 5 ft outside other then a little dim circle of visibility at a distance and the results of such dim infrared lighting results in very grainy video, which I do not have this issue with the home made ones using triple chip leds. I was looking for something brighter and longer lasting then my lights.
on May 14, 2013
Dont't be fooled by false reviews. This I/R light is very weak, It hardly illuminate up to 5 feet away, and the beam is a very narrow/dim circle. Beside that it gives a very obvious red light that shine from 100 feet a way.

My cctv has 5 small built in LED's an they do much better job. stay a way from this light.
on April 10, 2015
Does not show up "50+ feet" in front of you. More like an arms length. We actually bought cheaper lights and were more pleased with them more so than these. Would not buy again.
on May 29, 2015
lights up alright, if you're filming areas of complete darkness of over 30 feet though, you might want more lights.
on December 27, 2012
Did not really get a whole lot from this light. The illumination i expected, simply was not there. I should have sent the dang thing back, but lost track of things and now it's too late. Would not recommend.
on April 30, 2014
I really wished the light were stronger. It really takes two to three to light a room for infrared camera. Distance is not that far.
on December 28, 2014
Awesome light great battery life and lots of light for my needs.
on January 2, 2011
I bought a 36 bulb Night Vision Illuminator (different brand) that lights up the dark perrdy good, but I needed more light. I saw the Phantom NV and thought it would be a good idea to try a different company to compare quality.
WOW this thing is like a NV spotlight compared to the other one! Strange thing is.. it uses less bulbs. It is more conveinent that is takes a 9V battery too. The only down fall is I think they should throw in a mounting bracket for free instead of selling it seperately.
Casper

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question