Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 9 reviews
on March 21, 2012
I'll preface this review by saying I'm not a philosopher in the strictest sense: I never studied it in school beyond incidental exposure and a single 101 class, and I'm certainly not a professor. But I don't think you need to be to enjoy Philip K. Dick and Philosophy. There are a lot of cool ideas that dovetail off of those presented in Dick's work and the movies based off of them (after reading Ethan Mills' chapter "Hollywood Doesn't Know Dick" I am careful to draw that distinction!), so if you enjoy either, you'll probably enjoy the book as much as I did.

I did find myself skipping a chapter here and there ("Yes, I get it, I can't prove the world is real - but I only have a 30 minute lunch break, folks, let's get to something new!") but the vast majority of the essays here are novel, interesting, and thought-provoking. I particularly enjoyed "Just Who And How Many Are You?" by Richard Feist, which, in part, explores a study looking at the duality of the human brain. The ramifications of this study are fascinating. The two sides of your brain are far more independent than you probably realize. Different enough to bring up the question: Are you actually two people or one person?

The book delves deeply into the ideas presented in "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" (or "Bladerunner" as we Hollywood Luddites may think of it); by the end of the book I was pretty well convinced that we probably ARE all robots, but that I really didn't mind.

Overall, it's well worth your time and nicely segmented, so if you do get philosophy overload but are still enjoying yourself, it's no big deal to put it down for a couple weeks and pick it up when your brain is ready for another thrashing. If you enjoy questioning the nature of reality, wish you'd looked a bit more into philosophy when you'd actually had time in your life to do so, or enjoyed any of the ideas presented by Philip K. Dick in his novels or the movies based off them, do yourself a favor and check it out. It's a cool read.
on August 11, 2015
This is a wonderful panorama of reviews and analyses of many of PKD's works. The diversity of opinion is illuminating. Whereas I may not agree with all authors' ideas, I credit them their thoughtful presentations.
on January 30, 2015
Being old enough to remember when PKD was alive and writing, I have seen his works fade, then be re-discovered. I liked them then, and have found more depth in them with the passage of time. This collection helps me understand why.
on September 7, 2012
I really enjoy the philosophy and pop culture series. The books provide a lot of insight into the subject matter, as well as show how philosophy interacts with it.