Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Philips Norelco 1150X/40 Shaver 6100
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ingrid Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Style Name: Without Beard Trimmer|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on March 19, 2012
It can be used wet&dry.Charging quickly in 3 min.It costs only 69.99$ ,which maybe the best shaver in this price series.
review image review image review image review image
VINE VOICEon September 15, 2010
I've been pretty pleased with this shaver. It's not the top end of the new Philips Norelco line, but it also isn't $300+ and in that regard it provides a very nice counterpoint to today's blade shaving systems. I've dabbled here and there with electrics over the years but have mostly stayed with the disposable-blade system. Yet over the past few years I have become increasingly disenchanted with the cost of the disposable blade systems - every iteration in the disposable razor "blades race" brings increasing prices of the blades and lessening durability along with the "new, 23 blades and shaves your dog too!" For me, it's at the point where the cost, year over year, is essentially even or better with this razor.

As for the razor itself, it has done a nice job for me - not perfect, but nice. It seems to do a better job with shaving cream (I use a gel), but that may be largely imagined because it glides so much more easily. Philips claims that the best results will be seen after several weeks of regular use - and I'm getting close to that, so we'll see. The higher end shavers might do better with floating heads or multi-pivot as opposed to the two-dimensional pivot of the heads on this razor. It hasn't been a big problem, but I think it is probably holding it back from that truly close shave - or at least from not having to do multiple passes.

In these several weeks, I've run the razor on one charge. I have found it to be exceptionally easy to clean - much better than electrics of yore. Plus, I'm a shower shaver and it works just fine in the shower - it is not happy as a purely dry shaver. Overall, I think it is a very solid entry at this price point.
VINE VOICEon September 14, 2010
This item replaced my husband's Norelco from 20+ years ago and boy is he impressed! Charges fast on a very useful station that suctions to the surface it's on and is easy to remove and replace. Quiet when turned on, the heads seem to float over the skin with an extremely light touch that he enjoys - all with NO pulling or snagging of whiskers or skin. A wonderful shave that is quick and no longer such a painful chore. Great shaver!
on September 13, 2010
My first electric shaver was a corded Norelco 2-head razor, state of the art at the time. Since then, I've bounced back and forth between Norelco, Braun, and whatever the current generation of Gillette happen to be (I'm fairly sure I have a handle and at least one or two blades for nearly every Gillette model going back to at least the 80's).

I liked my last Braun enough to have the internal battery replaced when it died the first time. When the new battery gave out a few years ago, I started looking for a replacement and found a Norelco arcitec 1050 on sale at Target (shopping hint: the weeks before Father's Day are the best time to find a deal on an electric razor).

I thought it would be no problem adapting, but I had painful razor burn and seriously considered taking Norelco up on its money-back guarantee. At this point, I should mention that I've had a beard much of my adult life and so usually shave only my cheeks and my neck, with is both the most sensitive area and the hardest place to get a clean shave with any kind of razor.

I toughed it out with the arcitec 1050 and eventually got used to it. The 1050 still has one annoying drawback: it is difficult to throughly clean. The 1050 is one of the models with flip-out heads which makes it easy to rinse but is not designed for disassembly. The result is that longer whiskers get jammed up inside the heads and no amount of rinsing or compressed air will dislodge them. The only way I found to do it was sitting at my desk with a bright light and using a set of picks tiny enough to fit between the individual blades and un-clump the whiskers.

Naturally, I was curious to see if the Philips Norelco 1150x/40 SensoTouch had any improvements.

The head of the 1150 is a completely different design and is an improvement over the 1050 head:

-- The foil is a combination of slots and round holes, instead of just slots. I think I'm getting a closer shave and it's doing a better job of catching longer whiskers (I don't always shave every day - one of the prerogatives of retirement).

-- There are instructions included showing how to completely disassemble the head, if you need to do so.

There was, however, one unpleasant surprise. I had just assumed that, because I had been using the 1050 for several years, the migration to the 1150 would be painless. This was not the case. I experienced razor burn for the first week or ten days (I've made a point of using it every morning until I finish the review). It was not nearly as bad or long-lasting as when I first used the 1050, but annoying nonetheless. I was also surprised by razor burn this morning when I used it wet for the first time (with a shaving gel) after having used it dry a few hours earlier.

I'm willing to accept that these incidents are a trade off for a perceptibly closer shave and my own experience tells me that my beard growth will adapt. I won't be going back to my 1050 and will still be using my Gillette Fusion occasionally. My advice to new users is to make sure you keep your receipt and all of the packing material until the three-week guarantee time has passed.

Electric razors are not for everybody, but they are a great convenience, especially if you don't need to get up and shower first thing every morning (another prerogative of retirement). If you're looking to try one for the first time or you have one that needs to be replaced, the Philips Norelco 1150x/40 SensoTouch is one of the least expensive ways to give Norelco technology a tryout.
on February 13, 2014
Let me start out and say; what a pile of junk. I have an old Remington 3 Head rotary. it wasn't the most expensive model, but it was good and I had no issues with it. Unfortunately the internal batteries no longer would hold a charge and it time for a new one. I did my research and thought the Philips Norelco 1150X/40 SensoTouch 2D Electric Razor was going to be the one. Man was I mistaken. I'm use to a rotary head shaver and this one is sad. It doesn't have anywhere near the cutting capability; leaving a lot of hair unshaven on my face. I also noticed that the foil heads had nowhere near the same number of holes as my old shaver. I shaved one side with this new one and shaved the other with my crappy Remington and the Remington gave me a closer shave. The blades on the Remington are 6 months old too

The things I disliked about it:
1. The floating head arrangement is cheesy and doesn't float as well as other rotary shaver I've had. They way they pivot really does not contour to you face. It's a limited "2D" shaver.
2. I had to go over my face multiple times to get the same shave I did only once with the old shaver
3. You need the base if you're traveling because it's the only way to charge it.
4. The charge indicators don't tell you when it's fully charged and kinda hokey.
5. Noisey and felt under-powered.
6. The trimmer is a separate attachment and it's pitiful

I really had high hopes for this and it totally let me down. Look for something else to shave with.

***Update: 02/16/14 - I ended up with the Philips Norelco AT830 Powertouch with Aquatec Electric Razor and what a difference. It works well on my face and actually gave me a closer shave. The trimmer is built in and it's quiet. Been using it for a week and very impressed so far with no negatives. Feels better built and more solid then the flimsy 1150.
on May 17, 2015
I bought this several months ago and I do not like it. My previous model was a Philips Norelco 8240xl and even though I really liked the 8240xl, rather than buy new blades, I would just buy a new and improved model. MY MISTAKE. Norelco took several steps backward with this Sensotouch. In all fairness, the Sensotouch does everything it claims and it really looks neat. I should have known there would be an issue when the instructions said "it may take a few weeks for the shaver to adapt to the contours of your face". How about 7 months and I'm still waiting for the contour thing. Maybe if I never used an electric shaver before, I would have thought that this shaver was "the norm" for electric shavers. But remember, I was comparing this to several previous Philips Norelco shavers that I owned.
GOOD: It will shave your face. I really liked the looks.
NOT SO GOOD: REALLY IS NOISY. My previous Norelco's were quiet and hummed right along. The Sensotouch sounded like a thrashing machine.
NOT A CLOSE SHAVE like my previous Norelco's. The shave was adequate, but barely. I used the Sensotouch in a clockwise pattern, a counterclockwise pattern, up and down, side-to-side, all with the same result - not a close shave. (I did clean it after every use)
I would put this shaver value in the $25-$30 dollar category.
on December 9, 2010
I love this razor!

After about a year of searching for a great quality product at a reasonable price (for full-time college student), I am delighted with my final choice.
After just over a minute every morning, my face is clean-shaven and smooth. I love that it's water proof, so I can shave in the shover. I wish I could afford the Senso Touch 3D since it has a few more extra features, but this is a great alternative at this price.

I gave this product 5 stars for what it is. Yes, the $299 model is amazing, but for the price and the results, this razor is a 5 star in my book.
on January 24, 2012
Bought this when Amazon had a $30 coupon. Also there was advertised a $30 dollar rebate. Just found out that the $30 was the one and only discount and the rebate is void. this was never mentioned on Amazon.com and from what I can see on the net this was a Phillips practice to let people believe they were also going to get the rebate. I would not have bought this shaver having known this. Now I will not buy any Phillips products.
Actually the shaver is great and does a great job but I feel deceived by both Amazon and Phillips about the rebate. Why was the rebate sent with the product? It does say on the rebate form that it was not to be used with other discounts. I take that meant that if I got $5 off the msrp then the rebate would have been void. That is like a car company offering a thousand dollar rebate and after signing the papers they say that since the dealer gave me $500 off,I wouldn't be getting the rebate. Who pays msrp? So how many customers are going to be angry when they start learning that they were deceived. I buy a lot of stuff and when a company says that you are allowed only one discount you figure that it means one of theirs but once again it was not stated that the coupon was a Phillips coupon and that took the place of the rebate. A lot of web sites were touting the $19.99 shaver deal....still can see it on the web. Therefore someone was playing with the consumer. No more Phillips for me...when I use all my sonic brush heads up, I will find another tooth brush etc.
on September 22, 2010
This is a decent shaver, but I didn't find the shave itself to be particularly close compared to cheaper electric shavers that I've had: it's about the same. It certainly isn't as close of a shave as a non-electric razor, but of course you wouldn't expect it to be. I've tried it both ways: dry and wet (with shaving cream), and prefer wet but I really didn't notice much of a change in closeness of shave, just a change in overall comfort.

I've never been a huge fan of 'flexible' shavers, and it took some getting used to, to achieve the best results.

One place where this shaver does not work very well at all, is the neck. Even short neck hairs can be tough to remove with this product.

Cleaning is pretty easy, it's easy to open the main attachment, brush with the included cleaning brush and rinse.

I'm not a big fan of the charger. Yeah, it looks stylish, and it charges fast if necessary (quick charge feature in a few minutes allows it to be used at full strength for a bit), but it feels unnecessarily cumbersome. I prefer the simple 'plug in' charger on other models.

The trimmer does its work great, but you have to remove the main shaver head and insert the trimmer. Not a big deal, but I prefer the convenience of a trimmer included in the shaver itself rather than as a separate attachment.

One comparison I can make is with the much lower priced (~$40) 7310 / 7310XL razors also from Norelco. For half the price, you get as good of, if not a better shave from the cheaper product, with almost none of the inconveniences. The trimmer is better for detail work on the 1150x/40, and it looks far more stylish, but in the end that's not worth $60 more to me.
on April 4, 2011
Before I give my review, let me just say, I have tried all kinds of electric shavers, cheap ones, moderate ones, and expensive ones. For the last few years I have been using a Phillips Norelco shaver. It worked great, it lasted a long time and I never needed to replace the blades. Eventually, after years of use, it stopped working so I was in the market for a new shaver. I purchased a Braun shaver (priced over $200) and I was NOT happy at all with it. It did not get a close shave, it hurt, it was crap. I then knew I wanted to purchase another Phillips Norelco shaver because of how pleased I was with my previous model. The question was, do I get the Sensotouch 2D or Sensotouch 3D? I decided on the Sensotouch 2D and here is why. The 3D model, as explained by the name 3D, has blades that move in 3 different directions. The 2D model, of course, moves in 2 directions. After careful review of both models, I purchased the 2D model. My rating, 5 out of 5 stars. The 2D model has a very VERY close shave, it is very comfortable, and it is made with very good quality. I am extremely satisfied with the 2D model and would recommed this shaver to anyone! I would only recommed getting the 3D shaver if you need all the extras that come with it. The 2D gives such a close, smoothe shave that I would say the 3D model would just be excessive. Thank you Amazon for having such a great price for the shaver and thank you to Phillips Norelco for making such a great product!