Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 135 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 140 reviews
on February 5, 2014
Products tested:
Philips AEA2000/37 Bluetooth Hi-Fi Adapter ($24)
Harman Kardon BTA-10 External Bluetooth Adapter ($60)
HomeSpot NFC-enabled Bluetooth Audio Receiver for Sound System ($28)
Black Rx Bluetooth Receiver Conversion Wires ($20)

First they are all very similar to me. I have a home stereo Harman Kardon amplifier and 2 JBL column speakers. My system cost me $1800, so it's not professional grade but it's not junk either. Also I'm 35 and still have good hearing capabilities :) My fiancee and I couldn't tell the difference between all of the receivers in term of sound quality. We tested them for 1h~2h with different music on and the difference wasn't flagrant.

I kept the philips. Why? here are the reasons:

Range:
The range was the best with the Philips, but not by a lot! I think this is because these devices must fit the bluetooth norms. In other words if you're looking for a 100 yard range bluetooth device you shouldn't be able to find it. I went upstairs, in the basement, all the way to the end of the garage with my phone in my pocket. They all behaved pretty much the same EXCEPT the cheapest one that had a terrible range (5 yards) and keep breaking up (could be a bad unit...).

Connectivity:
They all behaved in a very similar way here too. All 4 easy to install and hook up to my phone or my computer. No problem with this.

Once the sound quality, the connectivity and the range were tested there were still 3 candidates left. I chose the philips for the price, the look and the brand name. I would have picked the Harman Kardon for their reputation with the quality of their product but I prefer to save $35 for another device that works exactly the same. Also with the philips, after a while, you do need to push the button to activate it then your phone will hook up to it right away. You may not have to do that with the HomeSpot or the Harman Kardon but I forgot to verify this.

Hope that helps!
33 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2014
I decided to purchase the Philips AEA2000/37 solely because of the price. I am familiar with Philips products and I know they are well made. The AEA2000/37 is no exception. After unpacking the receiver, I simply plugged it into my vintage Onkyo A-7022 integrated amplifier via the supplied RCA cable. After plugging the power adapter into an available outlet on my receiver, I simply synced it with my phone and was listening to music through Bluetooth within a few seconds. The sound quality is excellent in my listening room. I played a few FLAC files and was quite satisfied with the sound. It sounded quite better than my wired PC connection. This unit is small and unobtrusive. It simply just works! I will be purchasing a couple more of these units for my other listening areas in my home. This unit is a great value and a great performer. I would buy now as this unit has been discontinued by the manufacturer.
I wanted to be able to connect my laptop (HP ENVY dv7), my iPad mini, and my iPad Air to my stereo system. Looking over the options, I thought that this might be a good choice so I purchased it. Here is what I liked:

1. It has a very nice design.

Here is what I did not like:

This unit would pair up with all of my devices, but it would not play music or any sounds worth a darn. It was always had a lot of static and the sound would rise and fall while changing tones. It did not seem to matter how close or far from the device I tried to use it.

I guess there was a reason why this device was discontinued. I would NOT recommend buying this unit.
on March 5, 2014
The sound quality is fine. To my ear, it sounds no different than when we used to use a headphone jack to RCA cable on the same stereo system. The distance is much farther than I had expected. I can leave the room and never lose connection. The unit itself feels like decent quality, especially at this price point. I have no complaints what-so-ever. It exceeds my expectations.
on April 5, 2017
This is an outstanding bluetooth receiver. No connection startup issues, no streaming issues, just excellent sound all the time within my required 20 feet of range. This thing goes for over $70.00 from other vendors but Amazon price for this resale item was less than the $29.00 Philips advertised price.
on April 3, 2014
We have a powerful but technologically obsolete Yamaha surround-sound system. We wanted to listen to internet radio through it, without having to hard wire a computer into it. This does it. I tune in the radio station on my tablet, tell the tablet to search for and pair with "headphones" (which the adapter simulates), and voila: instant music! I can also play my itunes library through it. Since this unit has been discontinued by the manufacturer, the cost is quite reasonable.

P.S. We paid $20 for it, not the suggested retail.
on April 6, 2014
got it in 2 days via prime! needed something for the wife and kids to play their music on for the pool area. so i had bookshelf system from like 1990 outside and it had one input. RCA's in the back. I wanted them to be able to bluetooth their music to the stereo without having the phones near the water :/ so i came up with this idea! and it works like a charm!

works great with: iphone5, 5c, 5s, ipad mini, ipad air, macbook, and mac mini.
on April 29, 2014
I was using my 20-year old Onkyo receiver's CD input to play online music from my phone but ended up giving it to my son to use with his turntable and speakers. I decided to do a little research and find an inexpensive way to power my bookshelf speakers without investing in another receiver or powered speaker system.

I found the LP-2020A+ Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049P6OTI/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_9) and this Phillips Bluetooth adapter for about $20 each on Amazon, hooked them up together with my existing bookshelf speakers, and had myself a nice little Bluetooth speaker system.

The setup and use are very easy... plugged it in and it showed up on my phone right away and it has decent range. I'd love a way to configure the name of the device or set a password - but there is not one that I can find. Since I only have one (so far) it is not an issue and so far I have not heard someone else trying to play their music or phone calls through my speakers ;-)
on March 15, 2014
Pioneer wants something ridiculous for their Bluetooth adapter, like $150, so this thing was a no brainer. I bought a three foot 3.5 to RCA adapter to connect this to my receiver, but when I opened it I realized it's got RCA outs so I used nice RCA cables instead.

Other than the fact that I had to pull my whole entertainment center out to install this thing, it was the easiest Bluetooth device I've ever set up. As soon as I connected the power the little blue light around the only button on the whole unit started flashing so I put my HTC One in search mode and it paired in five seconds.

It plays music pretty well for the most part, but I've noticed it stutters and cuts out from time to time. I haven't been able to figure out a pattern yet, so I cane give thus thing 5 stars yet, but if I can get it to play smoothly and consistently like my Oontz Edge (I think that's what it's called, at least) than this will be the best $19 bucks I've spent in a long time.
on May 28, 2015
I really like this adapter - it is the second one that I've purchased. The two things that set it apart from most is that it is automatically searching for a device to pair with upon boot up and, the option of using the RCA audio connectors on the back - far more reliable than 1/8" mini phone jacks.