Industrial Deals Beauty Textbooks Shop women's shoes nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. New LG V35 ThinQ | $699.99. Save with Prime Exclusive Phones. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Philips XL Airfryer, The Original Airfryer, Fry Healthy with 75% Less Fat, White, HD9240/34
Style Name: White - Digital Airfryer XL|Color: White|Change

on August 15, 2016
New and "revolutionary" cooking appliances are introduced weekly but this device lives up to its hype. The concept is simple..a minimalist convection oven....but Philips makes it work. Having tried a less expensive knockoff, only to return it, this unit at this size beautifully browns everything from fish to chicken to steaks to fries quickly and simply. Cleanup is a breeze and the fryer parks neatly under my upper cabinets. It has displaced my pressure cooker as my go-to kitchen appliance.
UPDATE AT 6 MONTHS: Sadly, I must correct my initial report on this appliance. On New Years Eve, my "go to" appliance erupted in flames, causing our guests to flee, and my kitchen to nearly incinerate. After looking at my pictures of the aftermath, Philips proclaimed the problem: not theirs. The fire, they determined, was caused by some external source. Not only will they not deal with my damages, but they will not even replace their defective unit.
Let me say that I am not a newbie as far as air fryers are concerned. I have owned 3. The first showed the promise of the appliance but was too small. The second was well sized but, being a reconditioned unit, was prone to turning on by itself(lights going on and bells sounding while otherwise turned off. I installed an outlet switch to deal with its curious habit of turning on unattended and deemed the problem one of the unit being reconditioned....not properly manufactured. I should have taken those quirky behaviors as a warning but I did not. Instead, upon finding a deal on a new unit, I replaced my reconditioned airfryer with a new one. That unit nearly took out my kitchen.
My bottom line is beware of this unit until some form of overheat protection is devised. Philips is clearly in denial that there is a problem worth solving and their attitude may/will prove costly to some other purchasers.
review image
532 people found this helpful
|1010 comments|Report abuse
on May 23, 2017
We bought this Oct 2016, and the non stick coating inside the container, and on the pull handle has started to peel off in a bad way!! It is a HEALTH HAZARD!

It used to fry and grill to our satisfaction, We would use it 3-4 times a week, mainly for french fries, fish sticks, fried chicken sometimes.... BUT it has a manufacturing fault it seems like it. Take a look at the pics I am posting. It is unusable anymore.

Philips XL Airfryer, The Original Airfryer, Fry Healthy with 75% Less Fat, Black, HD9240/94
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
388 people found this helpful
|44 comments|Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 29, 2015
Saw this on an info commercial by accident. Researched it on Amazon and found out there was an XL model. Have no experience with any other model than this XL model, but can't imagine even for a single person that anyone would want anything smaller. In fact, I wish it was a little bigger. Not sure unless you are doing pies or fries that this product is geared toward an entire family. For two people cooking a meal such as halibut with asparagus and some sweet potato fries it is perfect. The whole air drying technology is new to me. I have the NuWave Oven, have a convection oven, etc... But, I have to say unless I am cooking something that won't fit which has not been the case so far, I have no plans on using my NuWave Oven any time soon. This Airfryer cooks fish, chicken and meat, etc. in half the time. I do admit there is a learning curve as the first batch of zucchini fries did not make it. Advice: start off low balling the time and then check it and then increase in small increments. Then I just write down the total time to know how long to cook it next time without the hassle. Chicken wings that took 40 minutes in the oven take 24 minutes in this and come out way better. Four stars as for XL model it should have been slightly bigger. There is a learning curve. It is not just turn it on and go, but overall I am very well pleased with the product. I have not tried the other brands. Philips is considered the standard for this type of product. I could have went with a lower cost item but after extensive research this was truly the only option. And it does what it says and is a healthier way to eat and saves on electricity especially if you have an electric stove like me. Out of a typical 7 day week, I will use this product at least 5 of the days for one to two meals a day. Easy to clean. Buy all the attachments as you will need them especially the grill tray. Oh, and don't use butter as you will have a mini chimney blowing white smoke in your kitchen...skip the butter or put it under a vent as it gets cloudy.

I am attaching pictures that show the size of the standard tray for a Airfyer XL. The plate is 7-3/4 inches square. In these pictures I made BBQ Chicken Wings and Sweet Potato Fries. Both items were frozen prior to putting them in the Airfryer. I used my own BBQ sauce, did nothing to the fries. The fries cook for 10 minutes and the wings for a total of 24 minutes. Fries were crisp and the wings were tasty and moist. I used the airfryer double rack accessory Philips HD9905/00 Airfryer Double Layer Rack with Skewers for Avance, X-Large, Silver that I bought separate since I was cooking two items at once. You have to lay down the fries lengthwise so they don't slip through the rack. I gave a friend some chicken wings and he literally said, "These are really really good." Needless, to say he is actually purchasing a Philips Airfyer as well now. I used frozen chicken wings with Target's brand Archer Farms Hickory Smoke BBQ Sauce. Put the sauce on the frozen chicken wings as the sauce immediately sticks to the chicken wings as it is frozen. Then cook for 10 minutes at 360 and then turn add a little more sauce and cook for 10 more minutes at 360...crisp, delicious, tasty, moist wings. I have never eaten so many chicken wings in my life...but I crave them now and so do my friends.

UPDATE: I have used this product extensively for some time and what I have noticed happen on occasion so just be aware of it. If you pause your cooking session to say flip over the chicken, etc. if you take too long, the time will reset. It will still have your settings, but if you are cooking for 24 minutes and you pause at 10 minutes to flip over your food the machine has been known to go back to 24 minutes when you resume cooking. It doesn't do it every time so I am assuming it is based on the length of time it is on pause? not sure. But, I have noticed this to occur 2-3 times so far out of numerous times I have used it.

Depending on what you cook such as BBQ Chicken Wings it is not so easy to clean the trays as you will see in the pictures, but I like the way the chicken wings come out so for me it is worth it. It hasn't deterred me from using it.

Here is using the grill tray Philips HD9911/90 Airfryer Grill Pan for Avance, X-Large, Black with the double rack in the XL Airfryer doing fresh halibut. Yummy, came out perfectly cooked and flaky. You can grill it for 10 minutes at 360 or less at 390.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
966 people found this helpful
|1414 comments|Report abuse
on October 15, 2017
Someone told me an excellent suggestion - use Reynolds PARCHMENT PAPER directly under the food to be cooked. If not at your grocer, you can get it on Amazon. No mess to be cleaned up in the fryer; just toss the parchment paper. After cutting off the necessary size of the Reynolds parchment paper, perforate it by poking about a dozen slits/holes with tip of a sharp knife to cook the food evenly. Or you can get 200 9" diameter circular perforated parchment papers for a reasonable price also on Amazon. Philips - take note.
Pass this suggestion forward!
298 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on March 5, 2017
I spent a lot of time looking at other brands and decided that the Philips was worth the extra price. We have used it almost every day for two months and are overjoyed with it. Many other reviewers mentioned problems with the coating coming off, excess smoke, and noise. We have had none of these concerns. We have cooked many various items including steaks, full chickens, sweet potato quarters, bacon slices, prepared scallops and fish, egg rolls, grilled cheese sandwiches, and bagels. Everything has been great except we have not been able to bake frybread (bannock) {please let me know if you find the trick}. {edit: found the trick. 300 degrees 24 minutes. Not quite perfect but close enough}
-We have it on the counter beside the range and turn the vent fan on; no smoke, no odours.
- We soak the basket in the pan filled with soapy water while we are eating, give it a quick once over with a soft kitchen brush, or sponge, rinse it and reassemble it. It is a lot faster and easier than washing multiple pans and baking dishes.
-We bought the XL model. Although there are only 2 of us I am glad we did so. You couldn't get a 5 pound chicken in a smaller one. Tonight we are cooking pork chops and sweet potatoes and will have great left-overs for tomorrows lunches
- It might use a lot of electricity, but it is much less than warming up an oven and frypan. It is economical to operate.
Is it a healthier way of cooking? Probably, but who cares? I can prepare a full course meal in less than an hour, it tastes great and there is very little clean-up!!
249 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on July 23, 2017
I purchased this air fryer during the lightening sale because Gordon Ramsay endorses this model. It arrived and at first I was a little intimidated by it then I thought I'll start with potatoes. I used some gold potatoes I had at home for baking and cut them into identical sized French fries, soaked them in water for 30 minutes before air frying, sprayed the basket with cooking spray, placed the soaked potatoes in the air fryer and 22 minutes later had the best French fries of my life!!! Being a lemon pepper chicken wing lover I decided to do chicken wings but I didn't have the party wings so I used full size wings, washed and dried them then coated with lemon pepper seasoning and a little salt, again sprayed the basket and cooked them, they also came out delicious!!! My family has loved everything I've cooked in it. Today I cooked chicken breasts, bone and skin on and they came out divine. I purchased the Air Fryer to aid in weight loss by lowering the amount of fat from regular frying and calories and I have not been disappointed yet. I saw a comment that said the reviews were bogus because they weren't from verified purchasers so here you go, I purchased mine on July 11th and haven't stopped using it. One of the issues I think people have is they still feel they need to add a lot of oil but you don't, I don't use any except to spray the basket. I hope this helps anyone thinking about purchasing an Air Fryer, I can't wait to try more recipes with mine!!! Philips Airfryer, The Original Airfryer with Bonus 150+ Recipe Cookbook, Fry Healthy with 75% Less Fat, Black HD9220/28
review imagereview imagereview image
352 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on October 30, 2015
I'm so disappointed. I have used this twice, first for meatballs which turned out great and then yesterday for potato chips which turned out amazing! BUT, after only washing it three times (top rack dishwasher), a huge hunk of the non stick coating has come off of the tray!

Edit- I rarely use this. It does a great job but you really can't put a whole lot in it, unless you pile it up and then it doesn't crisp as well. I do not put any parts in the dishwasher any more and it is cumbersome to clean. It takes up a lot of space in the sink when soaking and you're washing two pieces every time; the outer catch container and whichever food container. I purchased the wire rack as well as the flat pan, I've used them both a couple of times. Even coated with Pam, there's a lot of food sticking. My original two stars stands.
review image
756 people found this helpful
|1212 comments|Report abuse
on September 28, 2017
A grease fire did $90,000 worth of damage to our house. Someone recommended one of these after our loss. It is amazing. Even if I hadn't banned cooking in grease in our house I would still have this over a deep fryer. We use it for, chicken, fries, pizza rolls, frozen burritos, and more. Cooks faster and tastes better than a deep fryer or oven.
31 people found this helpful
on January 4, 2018
Just received this air fryer today, and after unboxing we were going to try fries. Everything was going good after following the instructions and then 20 minutes into it, the air fryer went quiet and wouldn't heat up any more. It still had power but wouldn't heat up. I tried multiple things like unplugging and plugging back in. Let it cool down for a few hours and try it again. It still will not work. Very disappointed in something we were really looking forward to and spent a lot of money on.
28 people found this helpful
on February 12, 2018
UPDATED REVIEW: I liked this airfryer out of the box, but after eight months of regular use, I now know I could have done better. This got the job done, but it's just too small if you want to cook more than single servings. I tried stacking food in layers, which restricted the air flow, so had to cook food in multiple batches - which took forever. Cleaning the basket is an absolute nightmare. The mesh bottom gets filled in with food debris that can't easily be soaked or scrubbed out. After about five months, the plastic exterior of the cooking pan came loose. All that being said, I did like the way this fryer cooked. I decided to go with a 5.8 quart airfryer from another manufacturer (Simple Living) and found myself much more satisfied. Despite the Philips claim that the "starfish" at the bottom of the pan on this fryer makes a difference - I have found it absolutely does not. Not only that, but the other airfryer makes much less noise and has a digital display.
12 people found this helpful