Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon counterpart counterpart counterpart  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on September 11, 2011
Worked fine for almost 1.5 years, then would not load DVD. Just quit working. Will never purchase another Philips product.
33 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 27, 2010
I bought this on Black Friday for a good bargain. My regular DVD player had finally died, and for about the same price as I could get a nicer DVD player, I got this Blu Ray player. I think it is a great deal for the price with one caveat.

Disc-wise, I really like it. There are some complaints here in the comments that it is slow to load, but I found it to be pretty fast. (Faster than my old DVD player by far, so I don't understand what people are griping about.) It plays just about any kind of disc I have from DVD to Blu Ray to Music CDs to the old DivX. I have tried them all and can verify this.

Unfortunately, I do not have a Hi-Def TV, so I cannot tell you how well it performs on high definition sets. It does work well with my older TV via the 3-color, 3-prong AVS cord. Even with an older model TV, I can tell a bit of a difference in picture quality over by older DVD player, particularly with the Blu Ray discs.

The one complaint I had was that I was under the assumption when I bought this model that it was potentially Wi-Fi capable, or at least internet capable via the Ethernet cord. It does have an ethernet port (and the wording of the description on Amazon is deceptively vague on this point), but you can't access anything on the internet via livestream (this includes Netflix). I even called customer service, and they told me the same thing. I think the only thing the ethernet port is good for is to connect to online content from the Blu Ray disc. So, if you are wanting to livestream Netflix or whatever, forget about it with this model. Luckily, I have a Roku, so this wasn't a big issue for me.

But for just a basic disc player, I recommend it with the internet caveat I just named.
on December 5, 2009
We actually picked this up at Sam's Club very cheap and have been impressed with the quality. We have an older TV and can only go to 1080i resolution but it seems excellent, I can't imagine the picture being anything but perfect on a new TV with the HDMI cable included. If you aren't concerned about the streaming features, having a wireless connection, or internal memory for BD Live features, you will probably enjoy this as much as we do if you can find it at the price we did (<$100). I don't have anything to compare load time to, but I can't imagine needing it to load any faster. We have absolutely no bugs and are on firmware version 1.000 still.
on August 18, 2010
I bought this Blu-ray player as an upgrade from our 2-year-old 1080p upconverting DVD player. I've watched several Blu-ray movies, both live action and animated, and the picture and sound quality are both great (I don't have a home theater system so I haven't had the chance to test the sound in that respect). DVDs also look noticeably better, though not as good as Blu-ray discs. I have generally had good experience with Philips products and this has not disappointed me so far.

My only complaint: I tried updating the firmware by downloading the update from the Philips website and following their instructions, but it didn't work and I wasted 2 DVD-Rs in the process. I had no problems once I connected the player to the internet and directly downloaded the update.
on July 10, 2009
This unit is a great unit and is superior to Sony & Panasonic models. First it plays all the DVD recordable formats. It loads DVD and blu-ray very fast. It has 5.1 analog outs as well as HDMI and standard 2 channel audio. It has distance settings for your speakers when using the 5.1 outputs. The image quality is excellent. I have compared it to both top line Sony and Panasonic models and find it superior to both. It is a great buy.
0Comment| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 28, 2010
I bought this player in early 2010, at Sams Club for a bit over $100.
The new thing now is internet connectivity. This doesn't have much. If that's what you're looking for, then newer products are likely more to your taste. But if you're looking for an excellent blu ray player, then you won't be dissapointed for the price.
Two movies: Wall-E and the Godfather on blu ray were both spectacular. Sharp and crisp picture on both. You can actually see a magnification effect through Michael Corleon's glass of club soda! Sound is excellent.
Loading time is good, but not great.
Finally, this will play anything I put in it. A simple set, that provides an excellent experience. If you're looking for a start up Blu ray, then you can't go wrong.
on June 9, 2010
The video quality, audio quality, and menu navigation are excellent and can compete with the best of them (especially considering this is one of the last actual Philips products). The only real issue I have with this product is that the software/firmware support is horrible. I've reported several times and issue where if you are using a Philips HDTV and this player with the TV set to Unscaled video format, there is a green bar on the left and bottom borders of the screen (this is in both menus and movies). Their response is "they will look into it", this was January '10, last firmware update was late '09.

Back to the product though. If you are looking for an inexpensive, high quality Blu-Ray player, you can't go wrong with this player. If you don't mind paying a little bit more and want actual software support, Samsung, Toshiba, or Sony may be the better way to go.
on April 19, 2011
The problem with this Philips BD player is that Philips hasn't released a firmware update in almost a year. Without updated firmware you never know what BD will actually work. I'm currently a Netflix subscriber and I had to change back to just DVD because 1 in every 3 or 4 BD will not play. If buying a BD player I would check the companies websites and see who releases the most current firmware. I wish I would have done that.
on January 18, 2010
This puppy works seamlessly with pretty much any kind of Blu-Ray disc. Other brands (like Samsung, Sony, Vizio or Panasonic) have a tiny restriction on the compatibility. But with this Philips model, so far, there is no issue I know of. It does not have the fancy "slick" looking but it simply works!
on September 18, 2009
Besides being a fast loading excellent Blu-ray Player. This machine plays all recordable DVDs, unlike the competition. It is available for a bargain price well under $200. Highly recommended!