Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon counterpart counterpart counterpart  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18SW_gno

on December 15, 2009
This player is better than 2 older model Philips DVD players I have (5140, 3140). Also, my remote was a slick black one, not the gray one shown that came with older models. The whole player is very thin and slick.

This one plays music CDs (normal audio CD or mp3 files), DVDs in PAL or NTSC format (including avi files on a data DVD as well!). Note PAL is the standard in England (Phase Alternating Line) and NTSC is the standard originating in the USA and Japan (National Television System Committee). With these two video encoding standards playable, you can play just about every DVD available. Also, you can put MP3 files and video files (avi, mpg, mp4, etc.) on a USB device and play them directly off of that plugged into the front of the player. VERY Convenient! I love it!

Also neat is that it remembers where DVDs were (DVDs playable on all players, not data DVDs with avi files). So you are watching your favorite movie, your spouse has a DVD to watch for work. No problem, pop out your DVD. She watches here movie. Pop yours back in, and it starts right back up where you left off! (or you can pres PREV to start from the beginning). Really a nice feature!

You should change the region to 0 (region free - accept discs from any region of the world, which is not the same as PAL/NTSC standard). I saw a couple of prior reviewers were confused by this distinction. This player can play both PAL and NTSC formats, as well as any region encoded discs once you make the change below.

To change your unit to be Region Free:

Be sure there is no DVD/CD in the unit.
Close the tray door.
Press Setup on your remote control.
Using the circluar control around the OK,

To see your current firmware version (and region code):
Press setup
You will be on General Setup Page
Press 1 3 7 9
44 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 27, 2010
I ordered this player specifically to play British DVDs. All the reviews sounded great. But when I tried to play a Region 2 DVD, I got a region error on the screen. Most of the reviews said their unit worked right away. I was confused and read all the documentation over and over but no comment on how to make this player region free. I then read another Amazon review that said I needed to change the zone from 1 to 0 (my region code on the back said region 1). Why did my player not work while other's did? So I followed these instructions and now the Region 2 DVDs play fine, including my region 1s.

To change your unit to be Region Free:

Be sure there is no DVD/CD in the unit.
Close the tray door.
Press Setup on your remote control.
Using the circluar control around the OK,

Press setup
You will be on General Setup Page
Press 1 3 7 9
VINE VOICEon January 13, 2010
I like the video quality of this player. There are several unique features distinguish itself from others in the same price range.

1. USB port for external hard drive or memory card: But it only works with FAT32 file system. If you have a huge hard drive in NTFS, it won't work. Still, it is a convenient feature.
2. Region-free: It doesn't come as region free. But search the web, you will find the instructions to unlock it to be region free.

My only complaint is that there is no optical output. I cannot hook up the audio to a home theater system. But I may be asking too much for a player less than 50 dollars. The audio has then to come from TV. The surround round will be lost.
on May 11, 2009
I've had this player for maybe over a month now. At first it seemed like it was very loud while loading British DVDs, that quickly stopped. Once while shifting from Region 2 to region 1 it kinda freaked out.

After that bit of moodiness in the beginning, it's been working great! I use it for American, British, and Japanese DVDs.

The biggest delight/surprise in this player was it's USB drive. I ended up plugging in a Western Digital 500GB portable hard drive, and using the USB on the DVD player, I'm able to watch AVI files! Doesn't read OGMs or anything else that I can tell. Oh well, still awesome!

*it's been over almost 2 years and this DVD player still kicks ass! I still have a TB drive hooked up to it. the only bummer is nowadays I have files with multiple audio and subtitle tracks- which the player does not read. Boooo.
on January 14, 2011
I bought two and have used them for about 8 months. Last week, I threw in a Disney DVD I bought in Czech Republic and in the upper left corner of the screen were the words "Region Err". There was no other error message. I put the same DVD in my JVC multi-region player and it worked fine. I tried to contact the seller by email, but no response.

Two weeks later - After doing some research, I discovered that my machines were not set to be region free from the factory. I was able to do the following to play my Czech DVD:

Turn on the DVD player and open the DVD drawer.
On the remote, press Setup.
Click the right arrow 3 times to select the Preferences tab.
With the tab selected (Don't press OK, press 1,3,8,9,3,1.
This displays the region setting.
Press the up or down key to select "0".
Press OK.

To check the current region setting:
Turn on the DVD player and open the DVD drawer.
On the remote, press Setup.
With the General Options tab selected, press 1 3 7 9.

I changed my rating to 5 stars as everything works great now.
on December 27, 2009
This ia great little player for the money. I wanted to get a multi disk player but opted for this one since it handles DVIX, AVI and MP3 files from a USB port. This is the greatest idea in the world for a DVD player. You can download videos from the internet like from Youtube or any other site that allows you to save video in AVI format. Then store them on a DVD disk without recoding them to DVD format, which allows you to save many more movie files on the disk due to AVI's being smaller in file size. You can also send them to a flash drive and play them back on this unit from that source.

I can now store multiple movie files on a DVD, large flash drive or even on my Maxtor external HD and play them back via USB. I plan to rip all the DVD's I own and store them on my external and make a giant data base of my favorite sitcoms, movies and TV shows and access them from the external hard drive. No need anymore for searching through hundreds of DVD disks to find the shows I want to watch. They will all be on the external hard drive for easy access. It's like having a giant movie juke box. Now I can be my own TV station and set up my evening of viewing pleasure without having to go from one DVD set to another to look for what I want to watch.

Sometimes when we download videos from the internet and play them back on a TV they are pixialated due to the extra large size of the TV screen verses the computer monitor. Phillips has thought of everything with this player. They have a zoom button on the remote that not only zooms to a larger size but it also zooms to a smaller size to accomodate this problem. You can shrink the viewing window down to 1/2, 1/3 and even 1/4 size so that all your videos look great on TV. I have found that most of the videos I have played on my standard TV (I don't own a HDTV yet) look great at the 1/2 zoom setting which is still quite large on my 27" screen. I would say that the 1/2 zoom displays about what a 19" screen TV would be. The 1/4 zoom shows a screen about the size of a portable DVD player.

The unit also plays MP3's, so just hook this baby up to your stereo and load in a flash drive, DVD with hundreds of MP3's on it or hard drive with a ten thousand songs and let it go. The other nice thing that this unit does with CD's is that it will rip a song from any CD and send it to a USB device. I have used this option already, when I wanted only some of my music files to take to a party and didn't want to take the entire disk with me. I just chose the tracks I wanted and ripped them to my flash drive and away I went. Awesome idea! Phillips rocks! I have not found another player that will do all that this one does and at such a great price. I can't believe Phillips can do this for $30 and no one other manufacturer has the intelligence to do it with their DVD players. This is the wave of the future. Soon they will no longer need DVD or CD disks. Everything will be USB devices. Why wait! Jump into the future with this awesome unit now.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because it will not read files off of an external HD that I have that is not powered by an AC adapter. It's a Seagate free agent drive and for some reason the unit does not find a single file on it. It's a 500 GB drive too, and I could have stored hudreds of videos on it. It does read every flash drive I have and my Maxtor one touch which is powered by an adapter.
on October 15, 2009
Tired of watching my Region 2/PAL DVDs on my computer and looking for a better way, I typed in "multiregion" in the search box and came up with this gem. And it couldn't be any easier to use-- unwrap, plug in, attach HDMI cable, put batteries in remote, set screen language to English, and play. I immediately tried one of my German DVDs-- it worked great, without a hitch. Then an American Region 1/NTSC-- ditto. Excellent picture and sound quality. As a bonus, the remote has some discrete buttons for features that are sometimes buried in menus with other DVD players. Highly recommended.

December 9, 2010 addendum: It's still working great, with rather heavy use. Reliable.
11 comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 7, 2009
After reading mixed reviews (mostly positive), I purchased this player refurbished. After I opened it up and hooked it up, I was immediately pleased. My 32" Vizio VW32L does not scale well, so wide screen movies were windowboxed with my old player. This player upconverts both DVD video and audio cds.

The USB feature was really simple to use. I had a hard time getting my external hard disk to be readable, but then realized it had to be formatted with FAT32. I've since used that drive and USB jump drives with no isses to play both DivX and XviD videos.

There was one hiccup I experienced last week: the color was completely askew (black was pink, green was blue). I unhooked the HDMI and plugged it back in a few times only to have the same result. I tried component hookups, and they looked clear, but only outputted at 526p.

After resetting the player a few times to no avail, I finally unplugged it for 10 seconds and plugged it back in. That did it. Everything is fine now. I hope this doesn't happen often.

This is the only reason I am giving it 4 stars and not 5: it has the propensity to need a "reset". I am very pleased with this player.

UPDATE:
The off-color error happens infrequently enough not to be a deal breaker, but it's happened five or six times since I've written the review. The only way to get it working properly is to cut the power to it. The power button doesn't fix it.

Still, loving everything else about it.
on September 20, 2009
I purchased this player in January 2009 here at Amazon; I would have waited for some time to get a Blu-Ray when able to afford it, but my old reliable 8-year-old Sony finally gave out on me and I had no choice. I did a little research and got some advice from more tech-savvy people and chose this model for it's low price, ease of use, and ease of conversion to all-region play. It arrived quickly and was very sturdily packed, no complaints about that.

The player does essentially what I want. If you're looking for technical specs or info on how well this plays with high-end TVs or audio, my review will do nothing for you; I still have a standard TV and primarily got this model for the all-region capability. I can say that it took no more than 2 minutes to convert the player, and that I've played several R2 and R3 discs with excellent results. So if you're a foreign cinema fan and looking for something inexpensive so that you can check out the films of the world, this is a good bet.

It does have two small problems which I need to mention and which remove the fifth star I would otherwise give it. First is that the player takes a bit longer to load and access tracks than some others; second is that sometimes it runs a little loudly - this is an intermittent issue. I've had very, very few discs that wouldn't play on this model - there were many that my old Sony couldn't handle - but it's not perfect in that regard (nor would I expect it to be).

In short, a solid recommendation to those whose needs in a DVD player are similar to mine.
on February 9, 2010
I just received my Phillips DVP5990 - Multi Region DVD Player and I just had to comment that this product is great! I lived in the UK for 3 1/2 years and amassed a large collection of Region 2 (PAL) DVDs. I still buy and receive gifts from people from Amazon.co.uk in Region 2 format. I had a DVD player that I had hacked to be region free, but it recently died and thought it was finally time to invest in a region free player. I was very impressed with other customer reviews (though I am leary of the lifespan and will continue to use my other DVD player for the majority of my DVD viewings). I also couldn't believe the reasonable price (I had priced region free players a few years ago and it was astounding how expensive they were). The set-up was extremely easy (plug in the red-white-yellow cables that COME WITH the DVD player to it and your TV, plug in the power cord and you are ready to go). I dropped in a Region 2 just to test it and it worked a treat (no need to select a region or input a hack code to get it set-up for viewing a DVD outside Region 1)! I'm probably going to get an HDMI cable as I have an HD TV, but I just wanted to be sure it worked before I invested in the pricer cable as I knew from another review that it did come with cables in the box). Overall I am completely satisfied with the unit and the price. It is extremely sleek, light and takes up very limited space. Even if it only last 12 months, I will most likely buy the same unit to replace it as it was just so easy to install and use.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse