Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 44 reviews(3 star, Verified Purchases). See all 818 reviews
on April 19, 2015
PROS: More than 4 years later and this device is still going strong. Battery life will last for more than a month on a single charge. The Philips brand brush heads last around six months before replacing (I clean them regularly with Hydrogen Peroxide), and they had better, considering the asking price. Worth noting is that Walmart sells an Equate brand brush head that fits perfectly to this model Sonicare, though the Philips brand brush heads are superior, in my opinion. A little softer and not as noisy during use.

CONS: I've been using the Sonicare for nearly five years now and it doesn't actually clean any better than a good quality manual brush. I'm a non-smoker but like to have 3-4 cups of coffee daily and I still need to see the dentist to get the stains off my lower teeth every year.

Another interesting feature is that the device will turn off after 2 minutes of use (which is the recommended brush time: spending 30 seconds in each quadrant). If you turn the brush off prior to the 2 minutes but turn it back on within a minute or so, it will remember where you left off. So if you brush for one minutes, manually turn the device off, then back on again, it will still cut off after an additional minute. No idea how long it must be off to reset completely.
on April 15, 2012
I own both the Philips Sonicare Essence 5300 and the Oral-B Professional Care 1000 and have used both extensively. They are very different toothbrushes.

The Philips uses sonic technology that causes the brush to vibrate extremely fast without it actually moving much; this subtle quality creates a more pleasant brushing experience than the Oral-B. It also has a longer more traditional brush that I like better for tongue cleaning, and for getting into certain spaces between teeth. I find the brush ends too sharp and uncomfortable to use for gum massaging.

The Oral-B has a round brush that acts more like a jackhammer in that it is much more physical and vigorous than the Philips. I can also apply more pressure with the Oral-B (important for cleaning molars). These two qualities makes it better for deep cleaning. The brush is also softer than the Philips, which combined with the "vigorous" quality makes it better for gum massaging.

Which one I use depends on what I want. I use the Oral-B about 65% of the time, the Philips about 35%. I give the edge to Oral-B since deep cleaning is most important to me, though I'm still glad I have the Philips for light jobs.
on June 14, 2013
It does a great job brushing teeth, and my last dentist appointment was less like that scene in The Shining where blood pours of out the elevator. The timed brushing is making a better person, according to my hygienist.

I have to echo everyone who complains about the mess inside the brush. They still make this model?

I don't know how or why a design flaw like that got out of testing. The cavity between the screw-on top and the handle is like a mini sewer of grey slime that had no place to go and never dries out. On top of that, without some special implements, it's an almost impossible space to clean out. When it occurs to me it's there, I have to wonder if it could ever elevate to a health issue having it there.

So yes, it is worth getting an electric brush, and a Sonicare. I will get one again, but not this model, and I will heed the reviews better in the next model I get.
on December 17, 2013
This model of Sonicare doesn't please me as much as previous ones I've had. I wish it had the feature that buzzes every 30 seconds out of its 2-minute cycle, telling you to switch quadrants of your mouth. Although I move the brush about quite a bit, I'm not quite sure if I've done each section equally. So if you have a bit more to spend, buy the Sonicare with the timer function. It will make your brushing experience more effective.

I am not in love with the "skinny" necks of the brushes. It seems to me that compared to previous versions, they seem to unscrew from the handle more frequently than the previous models I've had. Further, the color ring on each head is a very pale shade. One is a grayish green, the other a gray. I had to write initials in permanent black marker to clearly distinguish my brush from my husband's brush.

The handle holds a charge for a good amount of time. Charging time is not overly long. Sonicare does effective cleaning.
on June 6, 2012
My last Sonicare toothbrush (e-series also) was built differently than this one. The body of this one has two separate pieces that fit together whereas the original was totally round. I have to assume that this is why the toothbrush leaks if you stand it up vertically. No matter how much I clean and dry it, it leaks water and toothpaste--even if I clean out all the insides and take it apart. It gets the charger sticky or the bathroom counter. I called Sonicare and they replaced it with a slightly different (and better) model. Great, but this one leaks too. I called back and was pretty much told that yes, this can happen. I got the feeling that I am not the only one who has this problem. They said if enough people complain, they will have to do something about it. The only thing you can do it keep it horizontal, but of course you cannot do that when charging. Other than that, I like the toothbrush very much.

Also be careful if you like the feature that lets you know every 30 seconds when to move to the next quadrant. It's called quad pacer, not timer. All timer does is shut off after two minutes. I didn't know this and wound up buying the wrong model.
on July 30, 2012
Things seemed pretty straightforward at first, instructions were easy... packaging perfect, and about 1/3rd the price of the models I see in stores!
Second, yes it does an amazing job at cleaning & polished teeth very nicely, though it takes getting used to... even in training mode, it's vibe will resonate through your head! Also, the "training mode" it was in when first used didn't turn off manually as stated, though it did go to 'normal' as it was supposed to.

From watching the wear indicator, I'd say 3 months is about all you would get from a head.
The drawback I just discovered is that the replacement heads are harder to find than other models out there, and they are quite expensive, especially for the compact heads. I can find multi-packs of many other heads for other brushes that average $7-9 per head; I know our economic churning has caused some inflation that I'm having trouble adjusting to, but $15 to $20 each for replacement heads is ridiculous to me.

I'd have given this 4 stars, or maybe 5 if wasn't for the issue with the heads.
on June 10, 2017
It's great but finding good replacement heads has become an issue.
on April 19, 2013
The Philips sonicare toothbrush is wonderful. I really think it made a difference in my teeth and my gums. Actually my dentist noticed the difference after about six months of use. But it's been almost exactly a year since I purchased this from Amazon. Part of the plastic on the main toothbrush handle is broken. I have no idea how it happened, I just took off the old toothbrush part that was ready to be changed and noticed that piece of plastic was broken? I did nothing different than I've done before and the piece just broke off. Now it makes is a Horrible sound And does not make the correct movements as it did before. I'm going to try to find some information out from the manufacturer.

But overall it is an awesome toothbrush that does the job exactly as explained.
on May 22, 2012
I bought this to replace a fairly old e-Series Sonicare that had given me good service, but only lasted a day or two between charges.

The price was good, so I didn't worry too much about losing the half-minute bleeps that made it so easy to brush evenly with the old unit.

My hope was that the switch from NiCd to Nickel Metal Hydride would give improved stamina per charge. However the opposite has proved to be the case. On one occasion, this unit failed to complete a brushing immediately after being removed from the charger (though it's usually rather better than that).

My guess is that I've just been unlucky, and most examples of this product are fine. But if the problems continue, I'll be returning this one as soon as I return to the USA. In the meantime, I've returned to the old one.
on November 29, 2011
Loved the toothbrush right away - exceptional cleaning ability. I still use it - just bought replacement heads.

However, after using it for a week it started to smell. I rinsed it, cleaned it in alcohol, took it apart and sprayed it out - trying to rid it of this smell - it smells like dirty clothes or something foul. I can see why this is the bottom of the Philips Sonicare line and the potential need for a UV cleaner. I never needed that with any toothbrushes in the past though, and the smell seems to be coming from the handle of the brush where the head connects, so the UV head cleaner compartment they sell separtely wouldn't help, I don't think. It's just kind of gross.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question