Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 127 reviews(4 star, Verified Purchases). See all 663 reviews
on March 13, 2016
After almost forty years with a razor and cream, I bought this Norelco recently to simplify left-handed shaving with a broken right arm. Part of the reason I resisted electric shavers for so long is that the one time I tried one, I had a horrible experience, like scraping my face with broken glass. I was emboldened to order this one after experimenting with my son's electric shaver, which seemed to work fine and caused no discomfort. I am happy enough with this purchase that I expect to continue using it at least as often as not after my arm is healed. With practice it shaves almost as close and quickly as a blade, without the mess or the need to coordinate shaving and showering to ensure a moist face. The heads flex in a few more directions than my son's low end Norelco, making shaving just a tad more convenient still than with his. I made sure when buying it that it would work directly from the power cord in a pinch; however, unlike some of my older battery powered devices, the "battery low" indicator has so far prevented the unpleasant surprise of a dead battery.

The closest thing to a negative that I can find with this gadget is that cleaning it is not quite as convenient as the advertising might make you think. Yes, you can pop the head open and rinse it, but you still need to take the thing apart every few days and clean the individual pieces. Otherwise, those gunked-up innards will make shaving less effective and be no sight for the faint of heart.

On the whole, however, I'm quite satisfied with this device. You wouldn't need to twist (or break) my arm to get me to buy it again.
22 comments| 199 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2017
First off let me say that I've hated shaving since puberty. But since my wife won't let me grow a beard, my wife gave me this as a Christmas present to replace an ancient Norelco I had for 20+ years. Philips has made great strides and some shortcuts with their shavers (at least with this model). The first thing I notice is that it has smooth and quiet operation, but the trimmer when released must be pushed back down manually instead of with the release button. Not a deal breaker, but I'm used to closing it with the button so I keep trying to use the button to retract it.
The reason I only gave it 4 stars is be careful in that for me, if I go too low towards my wattle this shaver will take flesh instead of stubble. Or as it's called 'shaver burn'. (maybe because the blades are new and sharp for now). So if you have sensitive skin this shaver may not be for you. But for the most part, I find that it gives an acceptable comfortable shave as long as I'm careful not to shave too low on my neck.
The one feature I absolutely love is the ability to rinse and clean out the shaver under the faucet. I don't miss always taking apart my shaver to clean it. You won't have to unassemble this one every time in order to clean it.
on April 27, 2017
I gave this shaver to my brother. I don't know if he still using it or not? When you get in the 80s, and sometimes hard to change, especially shaving. I have used a Phillips Norelco shaver for at least 30 years and would not go back shaving with a regular razor. I would write mine five stars, just to award deluxe model.
on April 19, 2017
This is actually a bit heavier and more solid than I expected.....which is a good thing. A lot of shavers are now very cheaply made and weigh almost nothing as a result. In the hand it fits well and can be held in many different ways to shave different areas. It can be used wet or dry and also while plugged in, which is rare nowadays, but a huge plus since there is no charge amount indicator, so if you run out of charge, you can still shave without having to wait for it to partially charge. It does not handle long facial hair well at all.....if you don't shave at least every other day, this is probably not for you. It also does not get really close in one pass (takes 2 or maybe 3 with my 1-2 day growth). which is about the only reason for only 4 stars.
on August 22, 2016
This is a solid product at a fair price. I've had a number of Norelco electric razors - I tend to replace them instead of replacing the blades because the price of a new unit is only a bit more then just the blades. This one does not work wet or with shaving cream, it only works dry - but you do clean it by running it under hot water. Also - it takes 8 hours to fully charge the battery, the slightly more expensive units just take an hour - but this does work either charged or plugged in and so0me of the others only work charged. I have always found the Norelco products to be the best electric razors on the market, I've also used Braun, Remington and Panasonic, and this one is certainly good - but not great.
on March 11, 2017
First shaving experience with the Philips Norelco Shaver 3100 was fairly impressive, given that my beard growth was 3-4 days in length. Overall, reasonably close shave. Had some minor razor burn afterwards, but that's to be expected when using any electric razor for the first time. Was pleasantly surprised with its performance on the 'upper lip area' --- better than my Remington shaver (no lip snagging/pinching).
Really appreciated the water rinsing cleaning feature for the razor head ---- accomplished in under 30 seconds. Will rate this razor 4 stars for now, and may add on another star, after continued positive future shaving performance.
on April 3, 2017
Been a Norelco user 30 years. This one shaves good as any. Takes 8 hours to recharge & needs recharging sooner than earliers. I see this as evidence of reduction in mfgr-ing cost.
on April 25, 2017
I expected a somewhat more powerful device. It does however still provide a quality shave and is easy to use and clean. I just thought it would be more powerful.
on March 25, 2017
Nice shaver, it's getting harder to find a decent shaver that you can plug in, and count on it working with optimal power.
on December 29, 2016
Holds a charge for weeks with daily use. Seems like a weak motor (so quiet) that I must shave every day or risk it bogging down.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.