Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Philips Norelco 6940 Reflex Action Men's Shaving System
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ingrid Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEM

on January 13, 2009
I like this shaver because it does just what I need it to do. I get a close shave with little fuss - not quite as close as a blade can give, but with absolutely no risk of a cut - and at about $44 it's much less expensive than almost all the other Philips Norelco shavers.

It's not rechargeable, so you have to plug it in every time you shave, and the cord isn't very long or flexible, so sometimes it will pull out of the shaver, interrupting the shave. Just reinsert it and carry on.

Since it doesn't run on a rechargeable battery the motor never slows down due to declining battery power, and you don't have to leave it plugged in to charge it up. My guess is that it uses less electricity overall than a rechargeable. Of course you have to have access to AC power to run it, but that's only a problem if you want to take it with you on camping trips - not a good idea anyway.
11 comment| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2008
After 20+ years with my original Norelco, it finally broke. I was looking for a simple razor without too many bells and whistles. This is a simple design, does a great job and it is relatively inexpensive. I don't care for rechargable razors simply because I don't like them sitting on my bathroom sink all the time, I prefer one I can put in a drawer when I'm not using it.
88 comments| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2008
As most other Norelco razors are using batteries, this is one of only 2 models (now this one is the last)left that will work on AC ONLY (it has no batteries). A little know fact is that the other battery powered models(this one has no batteries)that also say they work with AC will not work when the batteries die, so they are worthless after about 3 years (according to Norelco). Also, the HQ55 blades are every bit the equal of the HQ8 and HQ9; I have both and the only difference is that the newer versions are a little faster.

Norelco has very little info on this model; be aware that they will tell you that it uses the newer style power cord with the external transformer and that is not the case. It uses the old fashioned plain coiled cord (and no batteries).

Watch for the sale right before Christmas.

Added: I recently took both this model and the earlier version apart to swap some parts into a new 6945. The 6940 has very high quality workmanship and parts, especially compared to the earlier cord only version. It works with the newer HQ56 heads (still made in Holland, the heads not the shaver) and the HQ56 are significantly cheaper than the HQ55. I am increasing the score to 5 stars.
22 comments| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2008
This shaver lives up to the fine Norelco reputation. It gives a really smooth close shave! I'm very happy with it.
on September 2, 2008
This is not a portable razor with all the bells and whistles. It is a plain plug-in unit that works just like they say it would. What more can you ask for?
on October 11, 2009
This is my fourth Norelco razor. My last one was cordless. I replaced the battery roughly nine months ago. The battery is going bad again. With Norelco rotary razors, if the heads do not spin fast enough, you do not get a good shave. I was thrilled to be able to buy a corded razor. No batteries and no worrying about recharging and no worries about batteries going bad. This is a good no frills electric razor that will give most people a close comfortable shave.
on November 20, 2009
Really like this shaver. Of course the reason it is so cheap is because it was not designed with a battery. It runs off an outlet. But when I was getting it, it occured to me that I never shave anywhere where there isn't an outlet anyway! And the lack of a battery gives several advantages too.
No battery to die on you, which is awesome.
(I have a different Norelco model with a battery that's not great. It shaves well but theres no battery meter of any kind, and if you're about to leave the house and you're shaving last minute and the battery dies (we've all been there before) then you're just screwed. Because that shaver, if the battery dies, will not work EVEN WHEN PLUGGED IN. You have to just wait until it's charged, to use it, which could be hours. Crappy designing on Norelco's part there. They should have made all shavers able to run on the power from the outlet while plugged in)
But this shaver is great, no battery to die or go bad over time.
And it's also more than powerful enough, because it uses power straight from the wall.
It's also very light, because of the lack of a battery.
Shaves well too, on par with other Norelco shavers that cost twice as much. Pretty close shave, comfortable, etc.
I like this shaver a lot. If you do not specifically need a shaver with a battery, get this.
on December 27, 2008
I looked around for a basic inexpensive razor. I realized that I hardly ever used my shaver on batteries so why pay for that feature. I figure I can buy a new razor every couple of years at this price rather than new cutting heads for for $30-35. For the price I am happy. The shaver has enough power and I did not expect the smoothness of a $100 shaver. The shaver seems sturdy enough. The shaver met my expectations.
on May 11, 2011
I've waited about 6 months to write a review, because IMO you can't judge an electric shaver until that amount of time has gone by (well you can, if the thing just doesn't work at all from day one, but if it does, you have to see how long it will last).

I'm very pleased with this shaver! No, it will not give you as close a shave as a good blade or a $200 shaver, but it gives a damn good shave and the price can't be beat. And after 6 months, it is still shaving as good as on day one, important because replacement heads are as expensive as the shaver itself.

One drawback: This shaver has poor shavings 'ventilation'. Your shaved hairs will accumulate very quickly inside the head. I recommend removing the screens and brushing the blades every 3-4 shaves, otherwise the heads get clogged and shaving closeness diminishes. This sounds onerous but it isn't, since thanks to the design of the head, it is extremely easy and quick to do. Not a hassle at all.

Finally, this is CRITICAL: On the inside of each screen, there is a center dimple where the blade fits. Hairs will gradually wrap themselves around this dimple and they are very hard to see. When this happens, the shaver will work BARELY AT ALL, as the wrapped-around hairs will reduce blade-spin. After about a month, i came THIS CLOSE to throwing the shaver out, until i realized what was happening. It took about 2 seconds to twirl-off the hairs, and then the shaver worked fine.
on January 7, 2009
Bought the product from Amazon.com seeing all the reviews about the product and since it was on sale and I got for a good price....

It is essentially a very basic model of the Norelco family of triple rotary shavers. Has no rechargeable battery and works while plugged in.
The first few shaves irritated as this was my first electric razor. However, in spite of continuous usage for 3 weeks, as recommended in the manual, I did not get a smooth/close and irritation free shave. In addition one of the blades started getting hot and the shave was not close enough. I contacted Philips and their excellent customer care people sent me a replacement blades within 2 days and after replacing the new blades I get a pretty close/smooth shave although the irritation of my skin is yet to disappear completely.....

Overall a decent product to start off with electric shaving.
22 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse