Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

Philips Sonicare Essence Sonic Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush, White
Color: White|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on January 24, 2017
Hey folks, it’s a $20 Sonicare toothbrush - what a deal! I checked the price at Sam’s and it was $130 for two, or $65 each. This might be an older style but very similar to the one I have been happily using for years. What I received was the Essence, model #HX5611/01 which came with a standard brush head and a charger base. It is made in China and has a NiMH battery. It does have a two minute timer only. It comes with a two year warranty that can be extended by by six months if you register online.

There is the problem of the gunkiness that develops between the brush head and the handle. It is alarming when you change the brush head, but I’ve always cleaned it with a Qtip and moved on. However, now that I have a new unit I wanted to see if there was a better solution. I read and tried the tip about cutting a finger off a latex glove and slipping it over the bottom of the head to cover the gap at the screw on connection joint (I call this the condom approach). Well, it is cheap, but difficult to do successfully (I tried three times) and it looks a bit tacky. It works until the severed glove finger (aka condom) starts creeping up on the brush head. However, I believe I have a better option.

Like any type of water-related connection (think garden hose), some type of washer or gasket is needed to seal the connected parts. I have no idea why the Sonicare people don’t provide one, but give this a try. For about $3 you can buy 10 “O” rings at the hardware store. I chose the #30 size which seems to give a snug fit. Unscrew the toothbrush, slip the “O” ring on the handle part to the bottom of the screw threads. Then screw the brush head back on and viola!...a watertight seal. Problem solved and you have enough “O” rings to last a lifetime!

I’ve attached a photo showing the different techniques. The Sonicare on the right is my old unit. The new one is the left, still with its severed glove finger condom (green gloves were all I had on hand). I’ve installed the “O” on the older unit for illustration purposes, you should be able to see the black “O” ring installed between the head and the handle. Another “O” ring is displayed on the old toothbrush so you can see what it looks like out of the package. Good luck!
review image
1919 comments| 1,045 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 27, 2015
As a general dentist with over 30 years of experience, I see the positive effects that Sonicare toothbrushes have on my patients oral health. Less adhered bacteria translates into less gum disease, tooth decay, and tartar build up. My previous Sonicare used the diamond clean brush heads and failed after 4 years. The Essence employs a more hygienic brush handle base which does not accumulate toothpaste scum as did my previous model.
22 comments| 946 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 17, 2015
this is the "old school" sonicare. It does a great job cleaning your teeth, but as others have noted, the handle collects fluids and gets disgusting and moldy inside so needs constant cleaning. Still, it's way less costly than the newer models, so if you don't mind the maintenance, it's a good option. I solved the gross-gunk problem by taking a disposable glove, cutting off one finger, cutting a small hole in the tip of the finger, and slipping it over the toothbrush, covering the space where the brush and handle connect. This is where the seal is not tight enough. I then used medical tape to tighten the seal further. So far, so good.
1919 comments| 882 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 8, 2017
This has been the best toothbrush purchase I have ever made. I have never owned a sonicare device before, but my dentist and family have recommended I get one. The first brush just felt AMAZING. It's weird at first just because I wasn't used to the insane vibration but about 4 brushes later I got pretty used to it. This has a timer so you know when to stop brushing, and for those of you who will read this review and not the instructions, I brushed the outer part of my teeth for the full length of the timer, making sure that everything was brushed evenly, so about one minute on one side and one minute on the other. Then after spitting I start it again and brush everything else (behind and top/bottom of teeth as well as tongue). My gums have felt stronger and even going to the dentist just a week after using it, I felt confident that this time they weren't going to tell me everything I was doing wrong... and they didn't!! In fact they told me that everything looks great and I noticed my gums didn't bleed nearly as much when they were cleaning my teeth.

So to sum things up, I highly recommend this toothbrush. My teeth and gums feel amazing. And if you don't think you want to buy this because it's too cheap, just do it, the $200+ ones probably have more features, but if your coming from a non-electronic toothbrush, this will be a huge upgrade for the price.
on December 10, 2017
Title says it all, and there is a reason why dental professionals recommend it.

I wish I had converted to an electric toothbrush sooner. It does take some getting used to as it felt like I was getting a cleaning at the dentist’s office every time I would brush my teeth due to the sound and feeling.

Once I got used to it and saw results, my only regret was not buying one sooner!

My one concern was battery life, having to worry about charging something on top of all my other portable electronics, but a full charge lasts about 4-5 days. Have taken on a week long trip and served well without charging once.

The power (on/off) button will start blinking when it is low on battery. Also, the brush will feel and sound weaker when it is low on battery. I charge it once a week. Some weeks twice a week, overall has not been much of a hassle.

Run time is exactly 2 minutes.
on November 29, 2017
I had a Sonicare that lasted several years and recently it started to not work very well. I decided to replace it with this model and I am very pleased so far. My only knock on this specific product is kind of weird but I was spoiled by this feature using my old Sonicare.

I loved the 30 second timer and This model doesn't have that. I just assumed it did after reading the description and was disappointed when that feature was missing. Yes, it has the 2 minute timer but I used the 30 second one for brushing each region consistently. So, that is why this is knocked a star.
on November 30, 2016
The one I got is not listed on Sonicare. Site. The Model number on the bottom of the box is HX5611/01. The closest they list is HX5620. So I have to forget about the 6 month warranty extension card from inside the box which is good to 12/31/2019.

The toothbrush itself seems to work fine but I have to ask if this is a knock off? Is there any Warranty at all?
on December 9, 2017
I have an older Sonicare Essence. I've had it for over 5 years and it still performs flawlessly. My dentist notes how clean my teeth are since I started using this brush. So when I saw this one on sale and in pink I snapped it up. It's the same as my old one so I can use my existing replacement heads. I retired my old one as my travel brush and use this one daily, same reliable performance, only now in pink!
on December 6, 2017
Bought this one after my dentist recommended getting a Sonicare. I really debated which model to get but decided not to spend a lot, in case I didn't like it. There is an adjustment period to the Sonicare. The first week, I thought no-way, I'd never continue. Too tickly in my mouth. However, once I got used to it, it wasn't a problem. I feel like it does a great job cleaning my teeth and the tickly feeling isn't an issue anymore.
on December 7, 2017
My main issue with this toothbrush is the bristles keep coming out of the toothbrush head and I almost swallow them. It's both gross and kind of scary. I've had this brand of toothbrush for 10+ years and I don't know what's up with them lately, but it's just not cool that the bristles keep coming off. I replaced the head, thinking it was a defective one, but the replacement did the same thing.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.