BCA Month Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Dirty Heads $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Philips Sonicare Essence Sonic Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush, White
Color: White|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on January 24, 2017
Hey folks, it’s a $20 Sonicare toothbrush - what a deal! I checked the price at Sam’s and it was $130 for two, or $65 each. This might be an older style but very similar to the one I have been happily using for years. What I received was the Essence, model #HX5611/01 which came with a standard brush head and a charger base. It is made in China and has a NiMH battery. It does have a two minute timer only. It comes with a two year warranty that can be extended by by six months if you register online.

There is the problem of the gunkiness that develops between the brush head and the handle. It is alarming when you change the brush head, but I’ve always cleaned it with a Qtip and moved on. However, now that I have a new unit I wanted to see if there was a better solution. I read and tried the tip about cutting a finger off a latex glove and slipping it over the bottom of the head to cover the gap at the screw on connection joint (I call this the condom approach). Well, it is cheap, but difficult to do successfully (I tried three times) and it looks a bit tacky. It works until the severed glove finger (aka condom) starts creeping up on the brush head. However, I believe I have a better option.

Like any type of water-related connection (think garden hose), some type of washer or gasket is needed to seal the connected parts. I have no idea why the Sonicare people don’t provide one, but give this a try. For about $3 you can buy 10 “O” rings at the hardware store. I chose the #30 size which seems to give a snug fit. Unscrew the toothbrush, slip the “O” ring on the handle part to the bottom of the screw threads. Then screw the brush head back on and viola!...a watertight seal. Problem solved and you have enough “O” rings to last a lifetime!

I’ve attached a photo showing the different techniques. The Sonicare on the right is my old unit. The new one is the left, still with its severed glove finger condom (green gloves were all I had on hand). I’ve installed the “O” on the older unit for illustration purposes, you should be able to see the black “O” ring installed between the head and the handle. Another “O” ring is displayed on the old toothbrush so you can see what it looks like out of the package. Good luck!
review image
1616 comments| 911 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2015
As a general dentist with over 30 years of experience, I see the positive effects that Sonicare toothbrushes have on my patients oral health. Less adhered bacteria translates into less gum disease, tooth decay, and tartar build up. My previous Sonicare used the diamond clean brush heads and failed after 4 years. The Essence employs a more hygienic brush handle base which does not accumulate toothpaste scum as did my previous model.
22 comments| 907 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2015
this is the "old school" sonicare. It does a great job cleaning your teeth, but as others have noted, the handle collects fluids and gets disgusting and moldy inside so needs constant cleaning. Still, it's way less costly than the newer models, so if you don't mind the maintenance, it's a good option. I solved the gross-gunk problem by taking a disposable glove, cutting off one finger, cutting a small hole in the tip of the finger, and slipping it over the toothbrush, covering the space where the brush and handle connect. This is where the seal is not tight enough. I then used medical tape to tighten the seal further. So far, so good.
1717 comments| 863 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 30, 2017
This new Sonicare replaces my circa 2003 sonicare that could no longer hold a charge. It takes the same head style and works the same. The other one in our household has benn with us for a couple of years and works the same. Two observations:

1) the blue grip surfaces on the handle are soft and the two-year-old handle is showing signs of fraying. I'm not sure that the grips are necessar, and even of they are, they could be a bit more durable.

2) this handle develops the same black oxide from the magnet on the inside (maybe it is mildew, like everybody says). I haven't tried the rubber glove trick. Might be worth it.

Anyway, both handles work like the original Sonicare and seem to hold their charge.
on November 30, 2016
The one I got is not listed on Sonicare. Site. The Model number on the bottom of the box is HX5611/01. The closest they list is HX5620. So I have to forget about the 6 month warranty extension card from inside the box which is good to 12/31/2019.

The toothbrush itself seems to work fine but I have to ask if this is a knock off? Is there any Warranty at all?
on October 10, 2017
I had received some Sonicare replacement head toothbrushes and needed the toothbrush that the brushes are designed for. I wasn't too keen on the electric toothbrush idea...okay call me old fashioned...my children love this product...if it helps remind them to brush their teeth ..I'm ALL for it.
Thanks Amazon for this item fitting my budget, its a great value.

Philips Sonicare Essence Sonic Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush, White
on October 15, 2016
I used to buy a set of two of these at one of the big-box stores. But one of them died - the battery would not charge. Without reading the description of this one carefully I found this one a little lacking in features: 1) there is no place to hide the extra cord; 2) it does not have the 30 second beep that indicates you should switch to the next quadrant; 3) the handle is wide/straight and not at all contoured to fit your hand; 4) it's heavier than I like.
BUT it works, unlike the other one that died after just 6 months.
on August 8, 2017
I've had electric toothbrushes in the past but this is a whole different level. My teeth practically feel polished after each use. I've also long had a couple areas on my teeth that tend to be prone to plaque, no matter how much I brush. After using this brush a few times I can feel the difference. I was a little skeptical about this but I am 100% sold. I'm actually planning on buying these as Christmas presents for a a couple friends of ming. Love it.
on August 29, 2016
I got to be honest here, I had never used one of these before, several of my friends have them and recommended Sonicare as the one to buy, I put this off for as long as I could until I finally went from it and started my research, I can't just buy the one they told me you know, savvy shopper here, lol. And at the end of all my research this was indeed the best one to go for. I've had it for a couple of weeks now and I gotta say this is AMAZING! My teeth are way cleaner than they used to be and it takes me a fraction of the time to clean them!
on May 12, 2017
Replaced my wifes old version of this same thing. Cant beat it for the price. If you werent already aware that all electric toothbrushes drip down and get gunky than I dont know what to tell you. Use hot water and a Q tip every few weeks and take the head off and wipe it down. Works great and cant beat it for the cost. Not sure how any more expensive ones are that much better. Im still sold on Oral B myself per circular motion instead of back n forth BS but the wife likes this one.