BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon drwho drwho drwho  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL17_gno

Philips Sonicare Essence Sonic Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush, White
Color: White|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on January 24, 2017
Hey folks, it’s a $20 Sonicare toothbrush - what a deal! I checked the price at Sam’s and it was $130 for two, or $65 each. This might be an older style but very similar to the one I have been happily using for years. What I received was the Essence, model #HX5611/01 which came with a standard brush head and a charger base. It is made in China and has a NiMH battery. It does have a two minute timer only. It comes with a two year warranty that can be extended by by six months if you register online.

There is the problem of the gunkiness that develops between the brush head and the handle. It is alarming when you change the brush head, but I’ve always cleaned it with a Qtip and moved on. However, now that I have a new unit I wanted to see if there was a better solution. I read and tried the tip about cutting a finger off a latex glove and slipping it over the bottom of the head to cover the gap at the screw on connection joint (I call this the condom approach). Well, it is cheap, but difficult to do successfully (I tried three times) and it looks a bit tacky. It works until the severed glove finger (aka condom) starts creeping up on the brush head. However, I believe I have a better option.

Like any type of water-related connection (think garden hose), some type of washer or gasket is needed to seal the connected parts. I have no idea why the Sonicare people don’t provide one, but give this a try. For about $3 you can buy 10 “O” rings at the hardware store. I chose the #30 size which seems to give a snug fit. Unscrew the toothbrush, slip the “O” ring on the handle part to the bottom of the screw threads. Then screw the brush head back on and viola!...a watertight seal. Problem solved and you have enough “O” rings to last a lifetime!

I’ve attached a photo showing the different techniques. The Sonicare on the right is my old unit. The new one is the left, still with its severed glove finger condom (green gloves were all I had on hand). I’ve installed the “O” on the older unit for illustration purposes, you should be able to see the black “O” ring installed between the head and the handle. Another “O” ring is displayed on the old toothbrush so you can see what it looks like out of the package. Good luck!
review image
1616 comments| 915 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2015
As a general dentist with over 30 years of experience, I see the positive effects that Sonicare toothbrushes have on my patients oral health. Less adhered bacteria translates into less gum disease, tooth decay, and tartar build up. My previous Sonicare used the diamond clean brush heads and failed after 4 years. The Essence employs a more hygienic brush handle base which does not accumulate toothpaste scum as did my previous model.
22 comments| 907 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2015
this is the "old school" sonicare. It does a great job cleaning your teeth, but as others have noted, the handle collects fluids and gets disgusting and moldy inside so needs constant cleaning. Still, it's way less costly than the newer models, so if you don't mind the maintenance, it's a good option. I solved the gross-gunk problem by taking a disposable glove, cutting off one finger, cutting a small hole in the tip of the finger, and slipping it over the toothbrush, covering the space where the brush and handle connect. This is where the seal is not tight enough. I then used medical tape to tighten the seal further. So far, so good.
1717 comments| 863 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2016
Friends:

This product has helped me avoid fees from a dentist for many years and I still do not have a single cavity in my mouth at age 53........

Google my name to Learn more.....

Arthur von Boennighausen
review image
on September 30, 2017
This new Sonicare replaces my circa 2003 sonicare that could no longer hold a charge. It takes the same head style and works the same. The other one in our household has benn with us for a couple of years and works the same. Two observations:

1) the blue grip surfaces on the handle are soft and the two-year-old handle is showing signs of fraying. I'm not sure that the grips are necessar, and even of they are, they could be a bit more durable.

2) this handle develops the same black oxide from the magnet on the inside (maybe it is mildew, like everybody says). I haven't tried the rubber glove trick. Might be worth it.

Anyway, both handles work like the original Sonicare and seem to hold their charge.
on June 3, 2017
I've had this replaced twice now in the first 6 months. Wouldn't hold a charge. Wouldn't beep to indicate it needed charging. Overall the customer support is excellent and the returns didn't cost anything. So far the 3rd one is working properly but so did the second for a couple months. My partner has the same model about 6 years old. It still totally charges in a few hours or overnight and lasts more than a week. Even when mine has worked it hasn't worked like that.
on September 28, 2017
Very bad design. The inside of the brush head and the inside of the handle gets very disgusting in a short time; brush head is a huge hunk of plastic, and the thing is really noisy in the mouth. I tried to like it, but finally stopped using it and bit the bullet and bought the Philips Sonicare 2 Series Plaque Control Sonic Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush from AMZ. Normally $49.99, caught it on a sale for $39.99. Vastly superior, well worth the extra $20 (even $30). Thought about switching to Oral B altogether, but I like the "traditional" toothbrush head on the Philips. Strongly suggest avoiding this.
on October 3, 2017
Purchased on July 24, as of Oct. 3rd the charger is no longer working. When the battery runs out, I am SOL because the return window expired on Aug. 25. This is the 3rd Sonicare I have used. The first was years ago, similar thing happened, so I returned it. When it happened again with the replacement, I threw it out. Fast forward many years, thought maybe it would be different this time, but not. Piece of junk.
on November 30, 2016
The one I got is not listed on Sonicare. Site. The Model number on the bottom of the box is HX5611/01. The closest they list is HX5620. So I have to forget about the 6 month warranty extension card from inside the box which is good to 12/31/2019.

The toothbrush itself seems to work fine but I have to ask if this is a knock off? Is there any Warranty at all?
on October 10, 2017
I had received some Sonicare replacement head toothbrushes and needed the toothbrush that the brushes are designed for. I wasn't too keen on the electric toothbrush idea...okay call me old fashioned...my children love this product...if it helps remind them to brush their teeth ..I'm ALL for it.
Thanks Amazon for this item fitting my budget, its a great value.

Philips Sonicare Essence Sonic Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush, White