BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Women's Coat Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Jessi James decker PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Philips Sonicare Essence Sonic Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush, White
Color: White|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on January 24, 2017
Hey folks, it’s a $20 Sonicare toothbrush - what a deal! I checked the price at Sam’s and it was $130 for two, or $65 each. This might be an older style but very similar to the one I have been happily using for years. What I received was the Essence, model #HX5611/01 which came with a standard brush head and a charger base. It is made in China and has a NiMH battery. It does have a two minute timer only. It comes with a two year warranty that can be extended by by six months if you register online.

There is the problem of the gunkiness that develops between the brush head and the handle. It is alarming when you change the brush head, but I’ve always cleaned it with a Qtip and moved on. However, now that I have a new unit I wanted to see if there was a better solution. I read and tried the tip about cutting a finger off a latex glove and slipping it over the bottom of the head to cover the gap at the screw on connection joint (I call this the condom approach). Well, it is cheap, but difficult to do successfully (I tried three times) and it looks a bit tacky. It works until the severed glove finger (aka condom) starts creeping up on the brush head. However, I believe I have a better option.

Like any type of water-related connection (think garden hose), some type of washer or gasket is needed to seal the connected parts. I have no idea why the Sonicare people don’t provide one, but give this a try. For about $3 you can buy 10 “O” rings at the hardware store. I chose the #30 size which seems to give a snug fit. Unscrew the toothbrush, slip the “O” ring on the handle part to the bottom of the screw threads. Then screw the brush head back on and viola!...a watertight seal. Problem solved and you have enough “O” rings to last a lifetime!

I’ve attached a photo showing the different techniques. The Sonicare on the right is my old unit. The new one is the left, still with its severed glove finger condom (green gloves were all I had on hand). I’ve installed the “O” on the older unit for illustration purposes, you should be able to see the black “O” ring installed between the head and the handle. Another “O” ring is displayed on the old toothbrush so you can see what it looks like out of the package. Good luck!
review image
1616 comments| 907 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2015
As a general dentist with over 30 years of experience, I see the positive effects that Sonicare toothbrushes have on my patients oral health. Less adhered bacteria translates into less gum disease, tooth decay, and tartar build up. My previous Sonicare used the diamond clean brush heads and failed after 4 years. The Essence employs a more hygienic brush handle base which does not accumulate toothpaste scum as did my previous model.
22 comments| 903 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2015
this is the "old school" sonicare. It does a great job cleaning your teeth, but as others have noted, the handle collects fluids and gets disgusting and moldy inside so needs constant cleaning. Still, it's way less costly than the newer models, so if you don't mind the maintenance, it's a good option. I solved the gross-gunk problem by taking a disposable glove, cutting off one finger, cutting a small hole in the tip of the finger, and slipping it over the toothbrush, covering the space where the brush and handle connect. This is where the seal is not tight enough. I then used medical tape to tighten the seal further. So far, so good.
1717 comments| 862 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 15, 2017
Not a fan of electric toothbrushes but purchased this one at my dentist's insistence. Not disappointed, especially since the Amazon prince about 25% of the price at two national chain drugstores we have locally. Might be cheaper at Walmart but I didn't look after I found this product at Amazon. It works well, the battery has enough charge for at least five days (personal experience), and the replacement brushes aren't over priced, at least not at Amazon. We actually bought two, one for me, one for my wife. Would I buy again? Yes. This is a quality product. That said, it would have been better if it were easier to clean the body and stand recesses. Saliva (you can drool when using it) drains into nooks and crannies that are difficult to get a cleaning device into. It's an irritant that detracts from an otherwise nice design, but not enough of a bother to change my rating.
on September 30, 2017
This new Sonicare replaces my circa 2003 sonicare that could no longer hold a charge. It takes the same head style and works the same. The other one in our household has benn with us for a couple of years and works the same. Two observations:

1) the blue grip surfaces on the handle are soft and the two-year-old handle is showing signs of fraying. I'm not sure that the grips are necessar, and even of they are, they could be a bit more durable.

2) this handle develops the same black oxide from the magnet on the inside (maybe it is mildew, like everybody says). I haven't tried the rubber glove trick. Might be worth it.

Anyway, both handles work like the original Sonicare and seem to hold their charge.
on October 13, 2017
Wow. This thing is powerful. Typically, one gets an electric toothbrush to avoid brushing too hard. This toothbrush will absolutely not allow that. I keep getting awful sores in my mouth and gums and finally figured out it was due to this. It’s very loud, also. Sounds like you’re in an airplane but inside your mouth. The timer is neat (which is why it has more that 1 star), but overall, I regret buying this. And of course it’s ineligible for return. So not happy. I’ll stick with my Colgate electric brush.
on November 30, 2016
The one I got is not listed on Sonicare. Site. The Model number on the bottom of the box is HX5611/01. The closest they list is HX5620. So I have to forget about the 6 month warranty extension card from inside the box which is good to 12/31/2019.

The toothbrush itself seems to work fine but I have to ask if this is a knock off? Is there any Warranty at all?
on October 10, 2017
I had received some Sonicare replacement head toothbrushes and needed the toothbrush that the brushes are designed for. I wasn't too keen on the electric toothbrush idea...okay call me old fashioned...my children love this product...if it helps remind them to brush their teeth ..I'm ALL for it.
Thanks Amazon for this item fitting my budget, its a great value.

Philips Sonicare Essence Sonic Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush, White
on October 15, 2016
I used to buy a set of two of these at one of the big-box stores. But one of them died - the battery would not charge. Without reading the description of this one carefully I found this one a little lacking in features: 1) there is no place to hide the extra cord; 2) it does not have the 30 second beep that indicates you should switch to the next quadrant; 3) the handle is wide/straight and not at all contoured to fit your hand; 4) it's heavier than I like.
BUT it works, unlike the other one that died after just 6 months.
on June 10, 2016
Finally convinced my husband to try Sonicare after being a hold out for 10+ years. He was skeptical but after a month threw away his regular toothbrush and made the switch 100%, keeping one at home and one in his suitcase for weekly travel. I wish this had the quad pacer feature, but otherwise this brush provides a lot of bang for your buck.

Just be sure not to scrub or brush your teeth. Let the brush do the work and just guide opt over your teeth. Try holding it only with two or three fingers. Aggressive brushing can cause gum damage and you don't want that!