Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

on December 23, 2015
I was surprised to see this Sonicare toothbrush under $40, and went ahead and bought it. Here's what I think after 5 months:

Pros:

* Seems to clean pretty well. Leaves teeth feeling shiny. Nice to have that fresh from the dentist feeling every morning.
* My brother has what appears to be pretty much the same model for several years and it's still going, so durability is good.
* My dental hygienist recommended it.
* The included brush head is durable and lasts longer than 3 months, at least for me.
* Comes with a coupon for $5 off replacement brush heads.

Cons:

* Replacement brush heads, even with the coupon, cost a lot. My brother got one of the cheaper knockoff replacement brush heads and I can see little strands of bristles hanging out. (not frayed, but almost falling out) So I'm going to wait for a deal on the genuine ones.
* The included brush head is pretty small in comparison to your average manual toothbrush, perhaps 60% of the size. You can buy bigger (and softer) ones. See photo which compares it to a Colgate 360 manual toothbrush.
* The instructions say to brush for 2 minutes on the fronts and backs of your teeth, but neglect to mention the chewing surfaces - probably the most important part of your teeth to brush!
* After a few uses, it changes from a "gentle" introductory mode to a more "powerful" mode. It is quite a bit more powerful, and I wish I could change it back. Even the gentle mode is too much for my girlfriend, who promptly said she's never going to use it, and will stick with her manual Colgate 360 brush.

Tips:

* You don't (and probably shouldn't) press down when brushing with this brush - it might harm your enamel. (and will wear out the head faster)
* All Sonicares are basically the same unit, with fancier and possibly unnecessary features at the high end. The higher end ones are thinner and lighter though.

Overall, recommended at this price. There's currently a $10-off coupon at Amazon, so you can get it for $29.95 now.
review image review image
44 comments| 661 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 3, 2017
Pros:
Great price (I paid $40)
One speed (this is a big plus for me)
Excellent quality
Same 31,000 brush strokes per minute as other Sonicare electric brushes that cost twice as much
2 years global warranty
90 days money back guarantee
Charger included (100-240V AC, 50-60Hz)
Easy-start feature (for those who are new to electric brushing)
Quadpacer (during brushing it reminds you every 30 sec with a short beep and a pause)
Smartimer (shuts off automatically after 2 minutes)
Comes with NiMH battery (NiMH batteries have no memory). So you can leave it plugged in.
You can buy this model in different colors

Cons:
Rudimentary battery level indicator
Takes up to 48 hours to charge from 0 to 100%
Does not come with a travel case
Does not have a Lithium battery

Final thoughts :
I have been using sonicare for many years. In my personal opinion Philips toothbrushes are far more superior than Oral-b when it comes to plaque removal. I highly recommend this unit over more expensive models beause it does the same good job at half the price. Also I like the fact that it has only one speed (unlike its expensive siblings where you can accidently change speed during brushing). So if your primary goal is to clean and remove plaque then you just need one speed.
Don't hesitate buy it you will thank me later.
on January 11, 2016
I am a long-time Sonicare user and have been very pleased over the years, apart from the cost. When it came time to replace my flexcare, I thought I'd try this new no-frills base model. As other reviewers have noted, I found that this newer model's vibration and noise level more than I could bear and returned it. I'll likely stick with Sonicare, but spend the extra $$ for what I'm used to. #firstworldproblems
on May 11, 2016
I never expected my best purchase of all time to be a toothbrush, but it is. This toothbrush works wonders! I would have gladly paid double or triple the price for this baby. This is a worthwhile investment because it saved me a few hundred bucks already from going to the dentist. I brush my teeth every night but each year when I get my teeth cleaned at the dentist and he always tells me that I need to floss and brush my teeth more. After getting the Sonicare, the next time I went to the dentist, he said that my teeth had next to no plaque on it. The vibrations feels great on my teeth, so brushing-time became spa-time instead of chore-time.

TL:DR - This toothbrush will change your life!
on July 8, 2017
A pretty good electric tooth brush and a pretty good price. These things can get expensive if you really want to go that way. For a first timer, however, this is a great starting place.

I have owned a previous Sonicare tooth brush. A pretty higher end unit. I received it free from a friend who got it from his upscale dentist at the time (good insurance back in those days). That was 12 years ago. It long since died and went to recycling. After that we (the family) went back to simple tooth brushes and dabbled with the battery powered super market spinning brushes.

I finally decided to go back to this kind of brush after burning through yet another set of double A batteries on the cheapo brush. One of the nice things about this is that it uses wireless charging from its own custom stand, and the battery is built in. And you only have to charge it every couple of weeks. So I charge mine over night, then put the charger away until I need it again.

If you have never used one of these, the first time you do use it will feel very strange. You are not likely used to the buzzing feeling on your teeth. However after a couple of times you get used to it, and then don't notice any more.This has a training / ramp up mode where it starts off weaker and then builds up to full power over a couple of days / uses.

So how do they make their money, if this costs so much less then the higher priced units? In replaceable brush heads. They suggest replacing the brush portion every couple of months (or was it monthly?). The cost of a multi pack of brushes is low enough that this isn't a big deal.

If you are looking for a unit like this, then this is a good one to get.The brand has been around a long time. This one feels quality built, and is a lot lighter and smaller than the one I had 12 years ago. At $50.00 (as of 7/8/2017), it is a good enough price that you are not throwing away too much money like you would with an over the top higher end unit would cost you if you do not like it.
on June 22, 2017
Okay product:
This is a great toothbrush until it stops working properly after 1.5 years. What a waste. It would hum very quietly when turned on and did not vibrate much.

Terrible customer service:
When I called in to address the failing toothbrush, the representative got the model number from me and then told me to take off the cap on the bottom of the toothbrush. I explained this toothbrush cap did not seem serviceable by consumers. She said something along the lines of "I don't want to tell you to use a butter knife but maybe use something like a butter knife". I was able to take it off. When it wouldn't go back on and the innards were left exposed, I realized she did not understand what she was taking about. Those were very dangerous instructions and could have caused physical harm to any consumer. At that point, I asked for a replacement and had to ask several several times before she agreed to give me an email address to send my receipt. This flow is unacceptable. If she is following the company issue-resolution flow, Philips needs to rewrite it to be safe and joyful to all consumers.

In the end, I received a replacement. I would recommend buying the cheapest functional electric toothbrush because of its benefits to your dental hygiene. If they can be made to last 3 years or with a longer 3-year warranty, it may be a good investment to spend more to avoid trashing our environment. But currently they break down after 1-1.5 years.

Buyer Beware: Philips Customer Service - some of them do NOT know what they are taking about. Safety first.
review image review image
on February 3, 2016
I have used another brand electric toothbrush for about 10 years so when it needed replacement, I thought I would try the Philips. I was very impressed, the head is nice and small for getting into tight spots and the level of cleaning was better than my old rotating type. It holds a charge for well over a week which saves me taking the charge unit when I travel. All in all - a great brush.
on June 28, 2017
This is a great toothbrush, and I love the happy green color. However, within about 2 weeks, my toothbrush became really noisy with a loud vibration sound/buzz. It continued to get worse, and it got to where late at night, I wouldn't even turn it on, and even in the morning, I would just turn it on at the end of my brush due to the loud noise (regular exposure to anything over 90 decibels will damage hearing over time).

SOLUTION:
I decided to switch out the original head it came with and replace it with one of the heads I had purchased for my older Sonicare toothbrush (which lasted "great" for five years and never got noisy!), and wow, that did the trick!! I'm trying to find that exact toothbrush head on Amazon, and it looks like this is the closest one: Philips Sonicare HX6013/64 Proresults Brush Head, Standard, 3 Count. I can't guarantee that this will work for you, but it did the trick more me--I just hope I can continue buying heads that will work--it's a shame that the original head is so noisy!
on May 1, 2016
WORKS GREAT. My only problem was totally unexpected... It tickles my tongue like the devil!! I thought i wouldn't be able to use it at all (is that why its on sale??), but now i just hide my tongue, and i think i'm getting used to it slowly as well. Very compact base, and i can't even figure out how it charges it without some kind of plug! Forget the color change reminder. That's just how they make you buy new brushes more often to increase revenue. As a doctor, the mouth has a heavy normal flora of bacteria that PROTECTS you from the bad ones. I have never seen any study connect dirty toothbrushes with disease. Its not even recommended for mitral valve prolapse people to take pre-dental procedure antibiotics anymore. A huge meta-analysis (combining several clinical studies on the same issue), could not find any statistically significant relation with infected heart valves, and I have MVP too.
on October 12, 2016
I had an Oral-B/Braun electric toothbrush for literally 10 years and I just didn't feel like it actually cleaned my teeth.

So, I read up on the clinical studies that were done comparing Sonicare to Oral-B/Braun and depending on how you read it, they both come out equal to some extent.

That said, I love this brush and it gives my teeth a very clean feeling compared to the old Oral-B/Braun brush I replaced.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.