Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now Ellen

Color: Black|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on December 23, 2015
I was surprised to see this Sonicare toothbrush under $40, and went ahead and bought it. Here's what I think after 5 months:

Pros:

* Seems to clean pretty well. Leaves teeth feeling shiny. Nice to have that fresh from the dentist feeling every morning.
* My brother has what appears to be pretty much the same model for several years and it's still going, so durability is good.
* My dental hygienist recommended it.
* The included brush head is durable and lasts longer than 3 months, at least for me.
* Comes with a coupon for $5 off replacement brush heads.

Cons:

* Replacement brush heads, even with the coupon, cost a lot. My brother got one of the cheaper knockoff replacement brush heads and I can see little strands of bristles hanging out. (not frayed, but almost falling out) So I'm going to wait for a deal on the genuine ones.
* The included brush head is pretty small in comparison to your average manual toothbrush, perhaps 60% of the size. You can buy bigger (and softer) ones. See photo which compares it to a Colgate 360 manual toothbrush.
* The instructions say to brush for 2 minutes on the fronts and backs of your teeth, but neglect to mention the chewing surfaces - probably the most important part of your teeth to brush!
* After a few uses, it changes from a "gentle" introductory mode to a more "powerful" mode. It is quite a bit more powerful, and I wish I could change it back. Even the gentle mode is too much for my girlfriend, who promptly said she's never going to use it, and will stick with her manual Colgate 360 brush.

Tips:

* You don't (and probably shouldn't) press down when brushing with this brush - it might harm your enamel. (and will wear out the head faster)
* All Sonicares are basically the same unit, with fancier and possibly unnecessary features at the high end. The higher end ones are thinner and lighter though.

Overall, recommended at this price. There's currently a $10-off coupon at Amazon, so you can get it for $29.95 now.
review image review image
33 comments| 582 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2016
My first electric toothbrush and I can definitely notice a difference in how clean my teeth are. I disabled the easy mode when I got it. Runs for 2 minutes and each 30 seconds it stops for a split second to let you know to move to the next area of your teeth. Straight forward and I'm glad I bought it.
on September 6, 2016
It works well! Love it!
review image review image
on April 26, 2017
This is at least my 4th Sonicare but it is Sooo loud, deafening noise, when turned on. I thought it was bad connection with the brush head, so tried another head and the same loud like a jack hammer right next to my ears.
on November 9, 2016
I am flat out astounded at the wonderful cleaning I receive from this Sonicare toothbrush. Having used an electric toothbrush for years, I thought I was getting a good brushing. NOT! What a surprise after using the Sonicare one time. I felt like I had just left the dentist's office after a thorough cleaning. I am thoroughly sold on this! This Christmas I plan to buy additional units for all my family. What a SUPER product!!
This model is a considerable improvement over the previous model I owned for years before the battery went kaput. That old one would grow black mold in the magnet cavity which I had to clean with bleach. There is no such cavity in this model. After brushing with this toothbrush, my mouth feels as if it has had a cleaning by a dental hygienist.
on January 11, 2016
I am a long-time Sonicare user and have been very pleased over the years, apart from the cost. When it came time to replace my flexcare, I thought I'd try this new no-frills base model. As other reviewers have noted, I found that this newer model's vibration and noise level more than I could bear and returned it. I'll likely stick with Sonicare, but spend the extra $$ for what I'm used to. #firstworldproblems
on April 28, 2017
Love my toothbrush. I have had it a long time now and it still works perfectly and is sleek. My last Sonicare was bulky and trapped bacteria inside- ick! This one is much more compact and I have not had those issues! The price was also awesome.
on June 15, 2016
Great for the price. Did not like the toothbrush head that came with it (was used to the head that comes with the more expensive version that I had before that broke) but just swapped out the head for the diamond one and works just as good as the $150 sonicare I had before. Only difference between this one and the more expensive one is the three different settings which I never used anyway.
on May 4, 2017
I've returned to this review to change it. At first, I thought this thing was under-powered. In fact, it was doing this slow ramp up to full power. This new (to me) design is as good as the old one I've used for years and years. Hence -happy-.

Below is the now superseded review.
----

It does the job but feels anemic compared to my original pre-philips sonicare tooth brush. Sadly, the dog ate that one and now I'm using this one. I works, but isn't nearly the machine the old school one was.

I'd probably be happier with this thing if not for all those years with the previous style. That was a great toothbrush.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.