Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Color: Black|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on December 23, 2015
I was surprised to see this Sonicare toothbrush under $40, and went ahead and bought it. Here's what I think after 5 months:

Pros:

* Seems to clean pretty well. Leaves teeth feeling shiny. Nice to have that fresh from the dentist feeling every morning.
* My brother has what appears to be pretty much the same model for several years and it's still going, so durability is good.
* My dental hygienist recommended it.
* The included brush head is durable and lasts longer than 3 months, at least for me.
* Comes with a coupon for $5 off replacement brush heads.

Cons:

* Replacement brush heads, even with the coupon, cost a lot. My brother got one of the cheaper knockoff replacement brush heads and I can see little strands of bristles hanging out. (not frayed, but almost falling out) So I'm going to wait for a deal on the genuine ones.
* The included brush head is pretty small in comparison to your average manual toothbrush, perhaps 60% of the size. You can buy bigger (and softer) ones. See photo which compares it to a Colgate 360 manual toothbrush.
* The instructions say to brush for 2 minutes on the fronts and backs of your teeth, but neglect to mention the chewing surfaces - probably the most important part of your teeth to brush!
* After a few uses, it changes from a "gentle" introductory mode to a more "powerful" mode. It is quite a bit more powerful, and I wish I could change it back. Even the gentle mode is too much for my girlfriend, who promptly said she's never going to use it, and will stick with her manual Colgate 360 brush.

Tips:

* You don't (and probably shouldn't) press down when brushing with this brush - it might harm your enamel. (and will wear out the head faster)
* All Sonicares are basically the same unit, with fancier and possibly unnecessary features at the high end. The higher end ones are thinner and lighter though.

Overall, recommended at this price. There's currently a $10-off coupon at Amazon, so you can get it for $29.95 now.
review image review image
44 comments| 588 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2016
My first electric toothbrush and I can definitely notice a difference in how clean my teeth are. I disabled the easy mode when I got it. Runs for 2 minutes and each 30 seconds it stops for a split second to let you know to move to the next area of your teeth. Straight forward and I'm glad I bought it.
on September 6, 2016
It works well! Love it!
review image review image
on February 20, 2016
I bought this one for my son. After a year of use I just had the easiest check-up and cleaning ever. The high speed bristles kept my gums clean and healthy and reduced plaque buildup in hard to reach areas inside my mouth. Use of the scaler (why do I want to call it a calculator?) was sharply reduced. With the smaller brush head I was even able to get behind my rear molars and keep that chunk of tartar I often get from forming over the course of my last two visits.

All in all, I'd call it an unqualified success and I wanted the same for my son.
on April 28, 2017
Love my toothbrush. I have had it a long time now and it still works perfectly and is sleek. My last Sonicare was bulky and trapped bacteria inside- ick! This one is much more compact and I have not had those issues! The price was also awesome.
on January 11, 2016
I am a long-time Sonicare user and have been very pleased over the years, apart from the cost. When it came time to replace my flexcare, I thought I'd try this new no-frills base model. As other reviewers have noted, I found that this newer model's vibration and noise level more than I could bear and returned it. I'll likely stick with Sonicare, but spend the extra $$ for what I'm used to. #firstworldproblems
on June 15, 2016
Great for the price. Did not like the toothbrush head that came with it (was used to the head that comes with the more expensive version that I had before that broke) but just swapped out the head for the diamond one and works just as good as the $150 sonicare I had before. Only difference between this one and the more expensive one is the three different settings which I never used anyway.
on May 16, 2016
I guess it is a good product. It was recommended by my dental hygienist and it does clean well.
However there is a definite learning curve (and I was warned about it).
When you first use it there is an intense feeling of vibration and a very loud high-pitched whine. (I actually used ear plugs for the first week).
To me it felt like having a filling without anesthetic, but I am probably a wimp. However after a week I now find it tolerable. However I am still using the introductory half power mode.
on May 26, 2017
My dentist recommended this brand. I almost couldn't use it at first, because it tickled my mouth so much that I couldn't complete my first brushing with it. However, since then I've learned to tolerate it fine. I found that it helps to keep my mouth shut (lips sealed) while using it, and this reduces the tickle sensation. It takes longer to use than a traditional toothbrush, and so since I am often rushed while brushing I don't use it every day. But it does a great job, and it feels great to have that polished feel like when you come back from the dentist.
on May 11, 2016
I never expected my best purchase of all time to be a toothbrush, but it is. This toothbrush works wonders! I would have gladly paid double or triple the price for this baby. This is a worthwhile investment because it saved me a few hundred bucks already from going to the dentist. I brush my teeth every night but each year when I get my teeth cleaned at the dentist and he always tells me that I need to floss and brush my teeth more. After getting the Sonicare, the next time I went to the dentist, he said that my teeth had next to no plaque on it. The vibrations feels great on my teeth, so brushing-time became spa-time instead of chore-time.

TL:DR - This toothbrush will change your life!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.