Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on January 19, 2012
cannot tell you how much researching and wasted time i have spent debating for the perfect set of headlights to replace my stock bulbs. the sad fact is that bulbs are bulbs, any after market bulbs are going to be an improvement than the ones you have in now. if your someone looking to drop $50 to $100 for greater output gains there are many options out there but for me, functionality, reliability and at a great price was my overall goal. it came down to the battle of Silver Star, Philips and GE. i have tried them all with my top picks being Philips X-tremes and GE nighthawks, silver star are a great product but they are still over priced and do not last as long as i would expect from a company that says they produce the best replacement bulb. silver star ultra's are more a performance looking bulb with a tint of blue/purple look to them. i was overall happy with the X-trmes, offered a true bright white light with a more centered beam that increases a wider and longer visual display a night. do not expect 80% brighter or any other gimmicks that persuade you towards one band over the other, if i had to give a percentage of gains, would say 30 to 40 percent brightness. for being the cheapest out of all three and for the gains i got, i was impressed. i would recommend these bulbs to anyone wanting a simple solution to enhance driving visibility without breaking the bank.
346 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on June 10, 2017
I recently installed these new bulbs in my 2006 Saturn Ion sedan, and have been impressed about the increased brightness and visibility on the road. I really don't understand the technology to be honest, and it looks like some kind or rear projection to me. But they do work well as advertised. I know some of these newer bulbs don't last as long as the older designs, but for me it is too soon to tell. My small town has very poor street lights, and many streets are very, very dark, so I feel much safer now and have always been afraid of hitting someone's pet or a child - now I can breathe easier. By the way, changing the bulbs on my Saturn car is quite easy - the headlights come right out as an assembly, so it is just a matter of pulling out 2 metal 6" pins that hold each one in place and then a simple job to put in the new bulbs in the back of each unit and then reinstall the units - nice and easy and it's not necessary to pull out any wires.
2 people found this helpful
on September 29, 2013
Like many other reviewers and purchasers, I spent a lot of time reading online about which bulb is the best and for what reasons (candlepowerforum - danielsternlighting -etc). After reading entirely too much I decided to buy a pair of these bulbs when they were on sale for ~$26 w/free s&h. I have a 2004 Dodge Ram and I had a pair of Sylvania Silverstar bulbs in it - these are an old pair of Silverstar bulbs stamped Nov 2005 for production date. Yes...Nov 2005 in a truck that is driven 1 hour to work 2-3 times a week and I leave for work at 4:30 am. Anyway, I expected to find that the Philips bulbs would be brighter than a 7+ year old pair of headlights. But to my surprise the bulbs did not appear to be any brighter when using either the high or the low beams. On a drive down the road the X-treme powers did appear to have a more focused beam. The width - spread did not appear any different. I also did not notice any difference in the illumination of objects down the road. Street signs did not appear to lit up as well, but in general the signs were lit up well enough that someone would not have to react at the last second. The X-treme power bulbs do have a more yellow look to them than the Silverstar bulbs. I did notice a cleaner cut off with the X-treme power bulbs and the Philips bulbs are much tougher than the Sylvania - thicker, larger, appear more rugged and sturdy.
I ended up placing the Silverstar bulb back in the truck and decided I will run the Silverstar bulbs until they finally fail. I did a second comparison on with these bulbs against the Sylvania Xtravisions in my 2001 Dodge Ram (also a 9007 bulb). The Xtravisions are about 6 months old and get the same drive time as listed above. I did a side by side comparison again and the X-treme Power bulbs are noticeably brighter than the Xtravisions. The X-treme Power bulbs also have a whiter appearance than the Xtravisions. As mentioned above, the Philips bulbs are noticeably larger and more rugged looking than the Sylvania bulbs. Again, the light was more focused with the X-treme Power (crisp cutoff - not as much noticed reflected glare). The X-treme Power bulbs may have outperformed the Xtravisions in distance - but there seemed to be no difference in side to side width.

Overall, if you are in need of a good set of headlights to replace an old OEM set or burned out set these would be a good bulb and likely an improvement over most other brands/models. In my opinion, these bulbs performed better than the Sylvania Xtravisions, and for that reason I left them in the second truck (2001 Dodge Ram) I tried them in. If you can purchase these on a good sale, they would be an even better buy. I will likely replace the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs in my 2004 Dodge Ram with another set of Silverstar bulbs - mostly for the 'whiter' light appearance as the Silverstar and X-treme power bulbs performed similarly - again in my opinion.
4 people found this helpful
on December 7, 2015
Brighter than the stock 2010 CR-V bulbs @ 5 years old, that is for sure.
Dim headlights have been one of the very few complaints we've had with my wife's CR-V, especially compared to the other cars in the household with HIDs. I was skeptical that a simple bulb change would put out substantially more useful light, but I have been proven wrong. For now they get 5-stars; we'll revisit if necessary if they don't last a reasonable length of time (say, at least 2 years).
3 people found this helpful
on November 28, 2012
So I purchased these Phillips 9003 X-treme Power bulbs after reading all the great reviews. 1 week prior, I received a pair of Phillips 9003 Vision Plus bulbs that I ordered here on Amazon as well. Those bulbs had good reviews too but were still quite disappointing. They were a minimal improvement over my factory bulbs which had turned dull and orange. Since I had purchased two pairs (two cars), I am returning the unopened pair so I could upgrade to these X-treme Power bulbs instead.

I put these in to my 98 Sienna and moved the Vision Plus bulbs in to my MPV. These bulbs are a noticeable improvement over the Vision Plus line. You pay more but you get significantly better light output. I can now see the sidewalk which was not possible with my crappy 98 Sienna box type housing combined with the Vision Plus bulbs. I feel much safer now driving at night and that is definitely worth the extra cost. I can't comment on the lifespan of these bulbs but time will tell. I don't expect them to last as long as factory bulbs but I'll hope for the best.

If anyone is curious, the Vision Plus bulbs worked much better in my 2002 MPV since the headlight housings are more up to date and produce much wider light output to begin with.

Conclusion: If you have an older car with older box style glass headlights, go with these X-Treme Power Bulbs. THey are worth the money. If you have a newer car with updated plastic headlight housings, the Vision Plus model would work fine. However, for not much more money, you get decently better light output. I will see which pair last longer since I have the VP's in my MPV and the XP in my Sienna.
on June 12, 2014
Ok I have had these in my car for quite some time now and finally got around to writing a review about them. If I remember some one said that these bulbs had a sort life span. I have had mine for over a year now and they are both going strong maybe I just don't do as much night driving as the other reviewer.
They did make a difference in my night vision they are a bit whiter and shine a bit better then the oem replacement lights. The other issue I had was my lens were turning yellow. After I polished them out and restored them the lights seem to have a a decent difference. I am an older driver and have noticed my night vision is not as good as it used to be but these lights do help and make me feel a bit better about going out at night. Are they going to make a day and night difference no pun intended but no but I'll take what
ever advantage I can get for night time driving.
One person found this helpful
VINE VOICEon December 27, 2012
I purchased these bulbs to replace the 11 year old, original bulbs for a Ford Taurus. Installing the bulbs was straightforward and took about 15 minutes once I figured out how to remove the headlight assembly to access the bulbs. An internet search resulted in much better instructions for the removal of the headlamps than the owners manual.

The color of the light produced by the Philips X-treme Power Headlight bulbs is white, not blue or yellow. This alone is an improvement over the bulbs which originally came with the car which produced a light that was more yellow and therefore didnt appear as bright.

In my opinion, these bulbs are an improvement over the original bulbs that came with the car. The improvement however is certainly not as dramatic as the advertising for the X-treme Power bulbs claims, but still an improvement. However, I think that for the 11 year old car, a bigger improvement could have been gained by replacing the headlamp assembly. The glass of the headlamps is cratered from small objects hitting them over the years and there is a film visible inside the headlamps. So, money may have been better spent on replacing the whole assembly.

For the current cost of these bulbs on Amazon, I think that cost wise the improvement in visibility with these bulbs is worth the expense. However, just dont expect a dramatic improvement in visibility.
on November 22, 2015
I purchased these bulbs to replace stock long life bulbs. They are definitely brighter, however I do not believe the claim that they produce 80% more light. If I had to guess I would say it's probably closer to 20-25% more light. It's very irritating that none of the manufacturers will just be honest about the lumen output and instead dance around the real numbers with vague claims and percentages.

The packaging is ridiculous. I honestly was worried that I was going to break the bulb trying to pull it out of the plastic mold it's mounted in.

I am hoping to get ~1 year of life out of these bulbs with the amount of driving I do. I will update when a bulb dies.
on August 15, 2013
They are exactly what they claim to be: slightly brighter (i,e, hotter) than standard halogen bulbs. They are substantially similar to any of the other 'upgrade' bulbs for which you pay two or three times the price and have to replace almost twice as often. You money is better invested in polish for the headlight covers, but if you are desparate for as much visibility as possible (as I am) but unwilling to invest in good HID headlights, you buy bulbs like these and polish the covers frequently.

If you test the wild claims of improved illumination that all the manufacturers publish, you find that any new standard halogens are significantly brighter than the 4 to 8 year-old halogens that you are replacing. If you compare 'upgrade' headlights to brand new standard halogens, the difference is hardly noticable.
One person found this helpful
on August 24, 2011
Edit - I'm marking these down one star because: The brightness is good, but the GE 9003 NHS/BP2 Nighthawk Sport Replacement Bulb is just as good for less money. These Philips bulbs lasted about four years; but that's with very intermittent night use. They lasted about the same time in my car with DRL's as the one that does not have DRL's.

These bulbs have exceeded my expectations. Formerly, I was using a set of expensive "high performance" Osram bulbs that were held out as the cat's meow in automotive lighting by a certain web forum that portrays itself as the source of expert advice on the subject. Those bulbs did provide good lighting, but they lasted less than two years! That is totally unacceptable to me, as one who grew up with sealed beam headlamps that cost $5 and often lasted ten years. Fast forward to these Philips X-treme bulbs that replaced the Osrams. The brightness is even better. They really light up the road. They are reasonably priced. I hope the longevity will be good - time will tell. So far, I'm very satisfied with them.
2 people found this helpful