Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc August Greene All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon counterpart counterpart counterpart  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18PP_gno

on February 11, 2009
Before finding this flash, I tried bouncing external SB600 flash off ceilings, and also tried various diffusers like Gary Fong's Puffer and Light-Sphere to soften shadows, but the exposure is much weaker and harder to get it right that way.. This works very well for intra-oral dental and macro photos. Works great, TTL and everything, on Nikon D90. Came with bunch of adapter rings, but did not need it for a 18-55mm Nikkor lens. Build quality is okay. It's all plastic and feels very light, but very well made for the price.

Update: lasted only a year and a half. I've upgraded to a Sigma.
11 comment| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 14, 2010
SO I was in need of a cheap ETTL ringflash to use with my NIkon D5000. I already have a lester dine ringflash for another one of my lenses and was tired of switching the ring flash. This flash comes ready to go out of the box. It had a seamless control thru my camera settings eliminating the need to work thru seperate numbers on the flash itself. saved me time energy and effort. So all in all its twho thumbs up! Highly recommended for thoswe users who are new to DSLRs and require a ring flash.
on July 15, 2011
While this unit isn't as nice as the Sigma unit, it's 1/2 to 1/3 of the price, and for my occasional use has worked great with a D50, D90 and D5000 and Sigma and Nikon Macro lenses. My D50 required some flash compensation, but not a big deal, I just dialed in 1 stop or so of flash comp. This is not the sturdiest, most fully feature unit out there, but mine has held together OK. Of course I've tried to not be too reckless with it either.

I've now tried it on a D300, and it worked OK, but when the camera times out and goes to "sleep", touching the shutter release doesn't wake the camera back up. Powering the camera off and back on re-enables the meter and shutter release, so if this happens just power the D300 off and on and it should be ok until the camera times out again.
on May 18, 2009
I wanted a ring flash to take pictures of some items I wanted to sell on eBay. My regular hotshoe flash left harsh shadows. This model serves the purpose, but it is not built well. I would recommend it for the amateur, but not a semi professional or the more demanding user. The plastic is thin, the rotating ring that attaches to your lens does not rotate easily, and the battery compartment is very tight, so you may have to fiddle with the batteries to get them to make good contact. It doesn't compete with the more expensive units from Canon or Nikon, but costs far less, so I can't complain. You don't need a powerful unit for close-ups.

Adorama communicated by sending emails of order and shipment, and sent the product promptly, so no complaints there.
on September 18, 2011
The first thing I thought when holding this is...man when is this going to break? It's been two years now and it hasn't yet. I've taken some pretty cool pics with this and love having it around for my Sigma 105mm Macro lens. It has basically 0 option..on and off that's it. I would definitely buy this over again VS the more expensive ones.
on July 17, 2013
I use this with a Nikon D5000 to take dental images. Close ups of teeth and Mirror shots (f16-f29). Not used for anything further than a full face picture (f8) The light balance is always great, center histograph. I bought this ring flash about 1 year ago in order to have something to use during a hands-on dental photography class and figured I would replace it after learning what flash would work best with my camera. Well, I never changed it because this flash, with my camera, did as well or better than some $300-$500 ring flash units. The setting of the camera is specifically set for close ups, aperture priority, and white balance set to this flash. The instructor was surprised and impressed.
on February 18, 2016
Out of the box would not work. Installed working batteries and followed the set up instructions by attaching it to hot shoe and attaching adapter ring to lens. Oh, and read that it's not compatible with Nikon D800. Would've been nice to know that before I bought it. Sent back
on September 6, 2010
Very light and works good but kind of cheap feeling. I don't think that affects it's performance though. I bought it to use while taking macro shots and it works fine for that. I would buy it again if it I needed one.
on October 23, 2015
This unit is pure garbage! Great potential but garbage none the less. Batteries would not fit into the chambers. Once I did get them in the unit would not even power up. I might have gotten a bad unit but I wasn't going to take a second chance. Construction is flimsy. That's about all I can say since it was DOA.
on August 2, 2014
While it worked, it was good at reasonable distances, but I got less than 100 exposures before it just stopped working. The TTL worked well as close as 0.5 meters, closer takes more manual care. If you don't mind a short-term, basically disposable, unit it might be okay at a low enough price, but I'm going to spend a bit more for a more reliable unit to replace it.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.