Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 31, 2008, 4:11:04 PM PST
nomdeplume says:
In his book, the author more or less admits to being a a huckster. He offers resources for online hucksterism. There is no reason not to assume that he hasn't used these tactics to fill his "Reader Reviews" with a bunch of log-rolling, 5-star phonies. I am very serious about this. We'll see if the Amazon editorial board will let MY review be published, since it somewhat questions the validity of Amazon's user reviews. To Amazon: You have my info, feel free to contact me!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2008, 3:07:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2008, 3:08:13 PM PST
Critical eye says:
I think you're probably on to something. The real reviews seem to hate the book. As did I. The book is just one of the author's many get-rich-quick schemes. I think he probably even made up his alleged prior successes, just to write about them in order to actually be successful. I mean, what is the biggest seller on the market? Everyone wants to be rich, so the biggest seller should be the information on how to get rich. I think that is why he wrote this book.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2008, 9:15:26 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 4, 2008, 9:15:26 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2008, 2:35:04 PM PDT
Nomad says:
First thing I thought of as well. Why couldn't Mr. Ferris let the book be reviewed on its own merit rather than post phoney bologna?!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2008, 4:16:40 AM PDT
Emerson says:
They Published your review so all the world now knows how you think.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2008, 8:50:16 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 22, 2012, 7:04:49 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2008, 11:30:43 PM PDT
A. bukres says:
Do you have any proof of him posting phony reviews? Do you think it became a best seller book because of the number of 5 star reviews here or do you think there are many 5 star reviews because it's a popular best seller book? This is your chicken and egg question.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2008, 8:28:12 PM PDT
C2017 says:
I've noticed that every time I write a negative review it is viewed poorly by Amazon.com readers. I feel I have a valid opinion or I wouldn't bother rating a book but there can be both 5 star and 1 star reviews that are very good.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2008, 2:24:15 PM PDT
C. Meier says:
I think we are all reading too much into this book. Get a life! So the dude gets rich off an "inspiratonal" bestseller. So what? Ferriss just proved the precendent of his book as we all bought it. That doesn't make him bad or us ignorant. We're all just looking for an edge to get what we want and he figured out how to do it, legally and without hurting anyone knowingly. If we're stupid enough to buy, then shame on us!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2008, 2:55:46 PM PDT
Dain says:
Well I have not yet read the book, but from reading the posts here I've come to find that it's about online business, which I suppose is pretty obvious. Starting the business online is a difficult thing to do; one of the hardest is to get people to look at it. I'm sure books, especially self~help ones are the same. Not everyone can get the "As seen on TV" logo for advertisement. It's expected to have fake reviews for publicity, but I'm sure everyone here knows someone that truly loves something that they despise (especially if your a parent. Haha).

Wither being 5 star to 1 star, just by looking at the review numbers and the star rateings, you can see that like many things in life, it's loved and hated. . . but it's also a self help book. Many fail, few succeed or even give good information. As a few people have posted, the book speaks of getting others to do the work for you, so perhaps that's where all these reviews came from, maybe not... but the basis of the book (or so I gather from the posts) is to do just that. Make others do the work. 5 star reviews on amazon are free, I'm sure some (maybe most) are real, just as the 1 stars are. But also think to the fact that some people could just hate the man, and so post a false 1 star review as well.

The point of Amazon is so people can get something off their chest or praise a book they've read or thinking to buy. Amazon hasn't failed in that aspect. Just because 500 people on Amazon like something doesn't mean you will, you could be with the 50 that don't (just example numbers...).

Not saying everyone complaining is wrong by any means, I won't buy the book, probably check it out at the library from reading what I've read, but then again maybe not. If I do and like it, perhaps I'll buy my own copy. But seriously insulting each other for opinions given is rather childish.

I'm new to replying on Amazon.com review boards, but I've come to find the reviews (like 70% of them) are good and insightful upon how the reader thinks of the book. I usually ignore the ones that seem to commercialized... like "As Seen on TV". The other 30% are people screaming about how ignorant another poster is, or perhaps another author trying to promote their book.

Also as I've read the reviews, one person had even said "I have written this review, as the book suggested. To say how I actually view it's material" the quote may not be word for word, but really... free advertisement is the best way to save money, and so more profit for you. Some will knowingly buy a bad book, just to see how bad it is, to find things others have overlooked, or to rid the brain fart upon their own ideas. Just because critics say something is the best ever, doesn't mean you'll agree, professional or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2009, 3:19:44 PM PST
jgcole says:
Dain, your post seems to suggest that a phony review posted by an author is valid advertisement. It's not. It's fraudulent. A review is supposed to give a prospective buyer an idea about what another reader thought of the book. The business is competitive, yes, but that fact does not justify dishonestly posting some imaginary reader's response. I know writers who engage in this practice, and I think it invalidates the review system on Amazon because I can never know whether a review is valid without researching the backgrounds of all the reviewers. And that stinks. Amazon should try to combat this practice somehow, though I honestly do not know how they could.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2009, 12:49:09 PM PST
Very well said by C. Meier

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2009, 5:50:09 AM PST
M. Speiser says:
I've noticed that too, and wondered about it quite a bit.

I came to the conclusion that while there may be some review fraud going on, the majority of it is due to our deeply ingrained "shoot the messenger" reflex of disliking bearers of bad news. People who spend time reading reviews about a book get their hopes up while they read great reviews, and suddenly they find a disagreeing voice that shatters their perfect picture, spawning instant visceral dislike.

Posted on Feb 5, 2009, 12:15:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2009, 12:19:25 PM PST
AkuumaX says:
i havent read his book so i am not sure if he is phony or not.
if he is a phony , so what?
americans actively vote for and support phonies, liars, theives, con-artists, and frauds to run the local, state, and federal governments every year.
yet complain because an author is a fraud... lolz, he isnt forcing you to buy his book.
but we are forced into paying taxes and fees which are not used for the right reasons by these greedy politicians.
lolz what a concept.

i agree with Dain. seems like the author focuses on getting people to do the work for you and making the money.
how many of you work for a corporation?
if you do then your chief officers and boards of shareholders are doing the EXACT same thing.
making major profits off your work.
thats the way america works. i do not condone or agree with that way, but is it better to be a wnner or a loser in that game.

Posted on Apr 24, 2009, 12:22:06 AM PDT
missnae says:
I personally stopped trusting online reviews/rating systems once I found out about Amazon's Mechanical Turk system: https://www.mturk.com/mturk/welcome

When reading reviews now, I am very cautious. My advice is to use all the evidence at hand to make up your own mind about the things you see/read.

Posted on Jan 20, 2010, 8:14:33 AM PST
J. Brookins says:
Disclosure: I know Tim. I'm even mentioned in the book somewhere. However, I haven't actually read the book beyond the parts I consulted with him on. I also can't comment on the reliability of the user reviews here as I haven't spoken to him in some time.

Tim is legit, if unusual. He's not a fraud, and if he's dishonest, it's more the same sort of hyperbole that most authors engage in than any intentional deceit. There is some really useful information and ideas in the book for people who are uninformed, though it's probably a bit light weight for anyone with expertise. From the parts that I read, he isn't selling a get rich quick scheme as much as saying that with the right tools, you can get yourself to a place where income does not directly rely on your personal effort. I don't think he makes the claim that you can get there without a great deal of effort on the front end though.

Posted on Sep 3, 2011, 2:57:06 PM PDT
flatlander says:
If Amazon is going to provide a ratings feature, they should at a minimum make some effort to insure it has some authenticity. I recently reviewed a couple of books which both had been rated only once, both 5-star ratings by Midwest Book Review. Curious, I followed up and discovered that MBR was credited for 64,318 reviews ... and every one was a 5-star!!!!
If any of the 206,599 customers who indicated they found an MBR review to be helpful bought the supposedly "reviewed" book based upon that 5-star rating, this apparent farce becomes a fraud.
Amazon customers who utilize the system in their buying decision deserve better. While most book buyers appreciate the 5-star rating system is subjective, they have a right to expect that the rating system is not abused as MBR has done.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011, 11:17:06 PM PDT
He got you didn't he. How any person buying this book is so naive to thinks it's has a literal meaning has really got to have his head examined, I mean common. You should change your name from Critical Eye to Simple Simon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2011, 7:04:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2011, 6:49:29 AM PST
Can you, do the same? :) Or, not even that....

Luca
1million1year.com
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Jan 31, 2008
Latest post:  Nov 4, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

This discussion is about