Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,059 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,096 reviews
on March 14, 2012
I have used these batteries for a couple of weeks now. I can tell no difference from the original Canon batteries other than these last longer. I use 2 batteries at a time (grip), and have snapped ~1,000 shots without the battery bar going down once.

These batteries are packaged well and shipped very fast.

It took about 2 hours to get to a full charge out of the box. If you are looking for T2i batteries, look no further!

**UPDATE**

I have had these batteries for a few months and still feel the same way as mentioned above. I have been using the batteries without the grip (1 battery at a time) and seems to get about 20-30% more shots than the stock Canon battery. Recharge time is about 2-3 hours from dead. Spend your savings on lenses, not "Canon" branded batteries.
44 comments| 188 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 23, 2013
I just bought this battery, and decided to do a side-by-side comparison between a 3 week old Canon battery, and this brand new battery.

First off, both batteries were tested on a Canon T3i, at 1920x1080 24fps, with a Sandisk Ultra 16GB class 10 and a Transcend 16GB class 10 as the SD cards of choice. Also, both batteries were tested with continuous recording, 'til each battery died.

The Canon battery lasted approximately 90 minutes, while the Photive battery lasted approximately 86 minutes. So, it holds up within just a few minutes against a brand name battery, which is amazing for the price.

However, there is a catch. The battery meter does NOT show the battery life. It will go from full to dead with absolutely no indication. Not even the halfway mark. As it states in the title, keep a watch/timer handy to keep track of your battery life.

Other than the guessing game you may play with its life, it's well worth the price tag given how long it lasts. And the fact that you can shoot 2 full 16GB cards worth of video without changing batteries is big plus.

I would recommend going with the STK battery, as it lasts about a minute longer, and costs $2 less. And neither of these batteries report to the battery meter.
66 comments| 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2014
These Photive batteries are an adequate replacement for the Canon LP-E8 battery. I had purchased a genuine Canon battery via Amazon, which turned out to be a dud. It does not hold its charge as long as the original battery that shipped with the camera.

Next I bought two of these Photive batteries for the price of one genuine Canon battery. Some reviewers have stated that they do not get any warning before the battery runs out. My Canon Rebel T4i *does* give me the flashing "low battery" warning icon, so I don't notice any difference in usage between the OEM battery and these.

The Photive batteries are charged using the Canon charger for the LP-E8. If you order these, inspect the contacts very carefully. I ordered two Photive batteries. They both fit into the charger just fine, but one did not want to go all the way into the camera! I looked closely, and the case of the battery was constructed so poorly that the plastic flared out, making it too wide to fit into the recess that accepts the battery contacts. I was able to fix this problem myself, by using a sharp knife to press the extra glob of grey case plastic to fit behind the black plastic that surrounds the contact points. So I am spared having to send this back for a replacement. Whew!

(See my photos for better understanding.)

If you order these batteries, please inspect them very carefully and be sure to use them before disposing of any packaging and shipping materials, should it become necessary to send it/them back. Other than that hiccup, they seem to work just fine for me. A cheaper alternative to the OEM battery from Canon.
review image review image review image
on July 31, 2012
Like most people in my field, I do insane amounts of research before I buy anything camera related. Lenses alone take me about a month to fully research before I drop the money to buy one. While I have bought knock off batteries for my Panasonic HVX200 (the original batteries are $160 while the knock offs are $50), and have had both positive and negative results, I was hesitant about buying knock off batteries for my Canon T3i.

I film weddings for a living, so anyone who works this profession will tell you that you need to be ready at the drop of a hat, and this means fully charged with good, long-lasting batteries. I know there are some reviews on there that discuss the technical side with numbers, I'm going to discuss what happened on my first wedding day shoot with these batteries:

Before I bought these, I was using two original Canon LP-E8s and a set of 6 "high capacity" AA batteries as back ups (which were completely useless, giving me about 20-25 minutes of power). When I first got the Photive LP-E8s in the mail, I threw them in my T3i and fully discharged them so I could recharge them fully with no memory complications. I was thinking, "hey, there were $14 for two batteries, if they last an hour, that's all ready twice as long as the 6-AA 'high capacity' batteries I had used at my last gig." I started the day with the Photives and shot all the way through preparation with the bride. I was impressed when I got to the church and the batteries were still kicking... I was flabbergasted when they finally died right as dancing started at the reception, giving me roughly 7 hours of use (turning it off an on, I have multiple cameras for different shot designs).

I ended up using the Canon batteries for about 2-3 hours. The Photives have become my Day-Starter and main batteries while my Canon's are now my back ups. I have bought two more sets just for safety. If I have a very long shoot, I want to be prepared. Thank you, Photive, you may be a knock off brand, but you saved my butt a few times!
33 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2016
This battery was great at first but sadly did not provide the same length of charge as the original Canon battery ... not to mention that the charge kept getting shorter and shorter each time it was charged... and yes I did drain the battery completely between charge to keep the battery life memory intact! Its just not a very good product .... I was trying to save money going with this but as usual you get what you pay for ....
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 28, 2015
I have two cameras, a Nikon and a Canon and I found that the Photive high capacity battery works very well for my needs. I try to keep three extra batteries for each camera. Now that would be some big bucks involved if I bought only Canon and Nikon batteries. This battery seems to hold a good long charge and recharges about the same as a Cannon battery. Am very happy with this. I feel completely secure to have a couple of these along with me for a photo shooting session.. often shooting a minimum of 200-300 shots per outing..... I give them a thumbs up...
on November 17, 2015
It suits cannon t3i ( 550D called in India ) I Charged this battery fully before my first use. It looks good and it suites camera. but when i switch of the camera for 2 days and when i power on to shoot some occation the battery is drained.

I tested this 4 times by charging again fully and using in camera take 2 snaps and switch off the camera for 2 days. on third day i dont see battery life to poweron the camera.

But i dont see this probelm with Canon original battery pack which came with camera. I used to keep camera idel ( poweroff mode ) for even a month time and when i power on on 35th day it will poweron.

before leaving this comment, i sent message to seller might be my part is defective, but no responce from him hence raise request for refund and updating this feedback.
on September 20, 2016
I found these batteries to perform just as well as the ones that came with my camera. I didn't specifically time them but I never noticed a difference in battery life. They fit well into the camera and really the only way you notice that they're not the originals is because of the printing on the battery. I would recommend getting a few extra batteries because it's always the worst thing when you're out and about getting great shots but you are running out of battery! I always carried like, 4 batteries in my bag so that I would never run out, but these last really well so I never used them all unless I was on a trip that didn't have electricity to charge them at night. Like I said, no complaints about these batteries, they're a great addition to the stash.
on March 11, 2015
Shortly after purchasing this product, I went to Arches National Park. I charged the new battery until the charger indicated it was full. I did have to use the new battery while at Arches, but I was consistently turning my camera off when I wasn't using it, and not using the screen to take all of the pictures (saving battery life). The battery held up fine during that time (about one day). After returning home, I was working on a project that required me to use the live view on the camera and leave it on to make lots of adjustments. True to the warnings in reviews posted by other buyers, the battery suddenly went dead with no warning (however, I had not recharged it since returning from Arches). For what I paid, not a bad product, but it is also not good that it just suddenly goes dead without any prior indication of a low battery. If you are a photographer who can drain a freshly charged brand-name battery in a day, I recommend purchasing back-up/replacement batteries from your camera's manufacturer to avoid the risk of being caught with a dead battery while out in the field.
on January 29, 2013
Photive Original LP-E8 Ultra High Capacity Li-ion Battery For Canon T4i ,T3i and T2i (Canon LP-E8 Replacement)

It's early for me to judge this battery fully so for now I say it's a winner. This battery's manufacturer's claim of 1700mAh is considerably better (50% more stored power) than the original battery in my T4i Canon DSLR, which is 1120mAh.

I have no way to measure real battery output so it might take some time for me to get a sense of which battery--the one that came with the camera or the Photive battery--performs better.

I will update this review when I have something more to add.