Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Photive CYREN Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker with Built in Speakerphone 8 hour Rechargeable Battery (Red)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on January 6, 2014
I got this speaker for my girlfriend for Christmas (and got it at a steep discount thanks to a promotion at the time), so keep in mind my review might be a little skewed in those regards, but ...

It's pretty nice and fun to use. Personally, the aesthetics of it aren't particularly inspired, but a simple rectangular design makes it easy to place up against walls or on top of smaller surfaces. It also helps it to "project" the sound in a particular direction (which I prefer to the "omni-directional" type speakers, IE Jambox). The casing is made out of a rubber-type coating, which not only gives it a good texture for gripping, but also makes it resistant to moisture and dirt, and helps it to keep clean.

For the audiophiles, the bass on this speaker is pretty good; it's nothing you'll feel, per se, but it's enough to give the audio a rich, full sound and make any rock (or metal) songs sound right. Overall, the quality is good enough to make any genre sound right. We've listened to this speaker for a total of 6 or 7 hours now at least, and no matter how it's used, it sounds good. For cooking, we put it up on top of the refrigerator, and the sound manages to fill the kitchen without being flat, constricted, or otherwise "directional" in nature.

This speaker also comes with a variety of controls on it. Of particular note is that it has a play/pause button and a skip button, which means it's easy to setup a playlist or stream Pandora without having to take your phone out of your pocket.

I give this speaker 4 stars for a couple of minor reasons. First, the volume controls are kind of wonky and appear largely redundant. As far as I can tell, each time you turn the speaker off, the volume resets to the maximum level, which isn't particularly loud. Therefore, it's generally easier, and more effective, to control volume through your phone, which translates through the bluetooth. And speaking of bluetooth, getting your phone to connect correctly is sometimes a small juggling act. Now, it could just be my phone (a Samsung Galaxy S4), but my other devices typically have no issues with linking to my phone. If there is a problem detecting or linking to the speaker, this has been solved easily with either a bluetooth on-off cycle, or a power cycle of the speaker.

Still, if you don't have $200 for a Bose bluetooth speaker (which from personal experience, I can tell you is the BEST bluetooth speaker money can buy), this is a good second choice.
on October 7, 2014
This little unit really sounds great. A solid bass for its size, with plenty of volume with no distortion. You can even answer your phone through it, if you want, with its built-in microphone (Bluetooth interface only). iPhones and iPods can even monitor the unit's charge level on your iDevice home screen. Looks great, sounds great, and a good price. No problems at all pairing with our iPods and Android phones & tablets. Comes with USB charger and a 1/8" (3.5mm) x 1/8" stereo interface cable for direct wired input. Any phone or tablet charger with removable USB cord can charge it, or any computer or console with USB plug. No phone operation is available during wired operation. Volume, pause/play, track fwd/bwd and answer call buttons. LED indicator. Charges up twice as fast as its battery usage. I love this thing. It's just perfect for traveling, outdoors, parties, picnics, etc. Audible Bluetooth connection confirmation and low battery warnings. Two 40mm 6-watt speakers plus center passive subwoofer.
on December 21, 2015
Had this for about a year now. Works really well. It has good sound for the money. It isn't for an audiophile, but you should know that from the price. It is pretty durable and has about a 20 ft connection radius. You get beyond that and it will start to lose a stable connection. Stay within about 10-15 feet if you don't want to worry about any interruptions. Hold a pretty good charge and will run for a few hours on a charge.
on March 7, 2015
The sound quality is as good, if not better, than any Jambox I have heard. However, it is outperformed by the Jambox for one reason, and that one reason is that the Jambox does not scream "*BOOOOOP* CONNECTED" at you when turning on the device or "PAIRING *NOT* COMPLETED" when out of range.

Good quality; terrible, terrible interface sounds.
on February 3, 2014
This speaker is amazing. It sounds as good as the $100 plus jambox mini I tested at costco*. Has surprising bass for something that's this small it surprised me in terms of sound and size. Also has great battery life. I never thought something so small could have this much noise
on December 8, 2013
I use this speaker right away I received, quickly pair with my iPhone 5 and let me tell you the sound is real good, the range also is real good and on open space is better but even I was outside the house with my phone and the speaker in the living room still playing with no interruption. Easy to use and easy to set up really love this product. Inside you find a usb/micro cable, cable to use it for aux and a protective bag. no wall charger but you can charge it on your computer or using the one from the phone...
on August 23, 2013
I'm in a hospital, taking radio therapy for my cancer, and I wanted to have better sound quality than the speakers on my laptop or phone can give (I don't like earbuds!) I searched and found this Photive CYREN Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker with Built in Speakerphone & 8 hour Rechargeable Battery - Red, and, after reading the reviews, I decided to give it a try.

I am so glad I did! It is the perfect blend of convenience, size, quality, and overall performance. The value is good, too, because it does feel like a well-made unit: not cheap to feel at all. I expect this speaker to last a long, long time.
It also works surprisingly well as a speaker phone, if you're in a relatively quiet background environment. It also comes included with a nice protective carrying case, along with a USB charging cable and a 3.5mm stereo connection cable, in case you want to use it with a non-bluetooth device.
I can strongly recommend this little speaker. It gives value far beyond its diminutive size.

UPDATE: June 12, 2014

I've had this Photive CYREN Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker with Built in Speakerphone & 8 hour Rechargeable Battery - Red for about 10 months now, and I'm still happy with it! It seems like the sound quality has improved with use. The highs are still crisp and clear, and the lows sound fuller, but still not "boomy".

The speaker phone function is okay, but you have to use it in a quiet room, because background noise keeps the microphone circuit triggered and you'll never be able to hear the other person talk. (This is called "half-duplex" operation. When you talk, it can send your voice but can't transmit the other person's voice at the same time, and vice-verse.)

Since I have been home from the hospital, we have used this outside several times, on the deck. It has enough volume to provide good sound outside, where some other small speakers we've had sounded shallow and tinny outside. It's as if they need the inside walls to confine the sound to make it sound good. The Photive speaker doesn't seem to be affected by this as much.

I'm also impressed with the performance of the battery. My wife and I like to have music playing at night as we sleep. Since I am still recovering from my cancer(among other things - long story!), I am not working, so we have a rather leisurely schedule. Some nights we go to bed early, and don't get up until late the next morning. On a few occasions, we have awakened to find the speaker shut down due to the battery being depleted, but this is only after more than 12 hours of playing (admittedly at somewhat low volume!) It always charges up and plays the following night with no problem.

I have, on occasion, experienced the "stuttering" that other reviewers have mentioned. I simply shut the speaker off, then turn it back on again. When it reconnects with the "transmitting" device (phone, tablet, computer), it sounds fine again. What causes it, I don't know, but it doesn't happen often enough to worry me too much.

After a couple of months, I had a difficulty with the USB cable not staying in the socket when charging. A new cable took care of that problem, and I haven't had the issue arise again. (As an aside, I can highly recommend the Amazon Basics cables. They are excellent quality for a very reasonable price. Do NOT be tempted by the "6 for $2.95" cables!)

The only other problem I have with this little speaker? It's now $10 cheaper than it was when I bought it! Timing is all-important, I guess.
on December 26, 2014
I ordered this for my wife for Christmas. It's not that big - but the sound is clear and crisp. Low volume, medium volume or full volume this sounds great. The sound is just so crisp and clear.

I wanted to order another one for myself, but I waited to see what Santa brought me. Well the fat man didn't deliver, so I bought a different brand speaker locally on a whim and it looked to be a nice speaker. NOPE. I could not tolerate the muffled tones and occasional rattle sound. I boxed it up and plan to return it in the AM.

I went on Amazon and bought another CYREN like this today for myself and I see the price is LOWER NOW. Honestly, this has to be one of the best BANG FOR YOUR BUCK deals out there.
on December 9, 2014
Bluetooth is a pain in the butt! Okay, I love the speakers, they look and sound great, you can check other reviews for that. But the bluetooth software in these things is terrible!!

First of all, if I use the aux cable to plug in to a device, they STILL say "PAIRING" and then thirty seconds later "Pairing.. NOT Successful", interrupting my music with this obnoxiously loud voice!

Additionally, the bluetooth will lock to devices that pair with it and then NEVER UNLOCK! I used this with my friend's phone once and it then REFUSED to pair with my computer, regardless of whether the friend's phone was in range, turned off, bluetooth on/off or whatever! You have to actually UNPAIR it from the device that last used it just to switch between devices!! Convenient?? No! This sounds like maybe it would be an inherent feature of bluetooth, but I have used speakers and bluetooth mice that can easily switch between devices, so no! Please update the software!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 15, 2015
I really enjoyed this product for about a week....then it stopped working. The power will no longer turn on; once in the past month after fully charging it did somehow turn on and connect and work; but after turning it off, it would not turn back on. Almost as though the power switch no long switches the power on.

Update: if you push the power button over really hard and be careful not to touch the speaker it will turn on and stay on. So not completely worthless, just frustrating.