Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 65 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 81 reviews
on September 12, 2011
I've practically eliminated the need for an assistant for sessions with this (which is a HUGE money saver). The mount is extra sturdy and adjusts easily, plus it fits my tripod AND my light stands, which gives me extra "hands" when I can't hold a reflector (or have someone do it for me). I honestly don't know how I survived without it for so long!

The only con I've noticed so far is that the clamp is a little bulky and does take up some room in my camera bag, but for all the times it has saved me from trying to explain EXACTLY how I want the light angled to assistants, it is WELL WORTH IT!

Also, be careful how tight you make it for speedlites. I figured out the hard way that, if too tight, you'll snap some plastic on what you're attaching.
on May 16, 2008
They're a little plasticky, but they work quite well. I am concerned about long-term use, but if I wanted big heavy duty cycle swivels I should have bought some. These are a good price, and very likable.

Don't know if other reviewers mentioned this: get some tape on the bottom of the shoe mounts. Your flash contacts will short out on them. Photoflex: 1 star gone for you! What were you thinking?

On the up side, they didn't damage my 580ex's. The short simply caused them to fire.

UPDATE 01/02/2009 - I am astounded at how good these have turned out to be, for cheapies. I tend to be careful with them, because they feel a little flimsy, but I have not yet been able to break them. I have dropped them, thrown them (that was a childish temper-tantrum moment for me...sigh), and popped them into the side pocket of my light bag (where they get bumped a lot) and flown with them. Still going strong.

Twice used as a simple swivel for a big heavy octabox and monolight, which is not recommended from what I hear, and the knuckle tightened right up without strain and held tight.

I also discovered clear packing tape works well to laminate the top of the show where the contacts go - that has held up well also.

I have recommended, and continue to recommend, these to other photographers. I will be buying a few more as my kit grows.
on January 29, 2010
I have two of these, and there are priceless, really. They are a necessity on any job. They have held up so far for 8-9 months. I appreciate the little things, like how the handle can be re-oriented without loosening the clamp. So, for the money, I've been happy. However, there are two things I would like to see change:

1) Make the cold-shoe surface something other than metal, for crying out loud.
Myself and every photographer I know has to put gaffer tape or something over the surface or risk the flash going into "psycho rapid-fire" mode. It's not like it takes a lot of money to put a piece of tape over it, but it's just one of those things that feels ridiculous having to do.

2) Cut down the bulk a bit.
They are light, and fairly small, but with a smaller lightstand bag, it can be a game of tetris trying to fit two or three of these things in one bag. Especially with the clunky knobs; they stick out quite a bit further than they need to, and the handle is a bit cumbersome.

So, all that being said, I will likely buy a few more. Just wish those two things were changed.
on May 3, 2010
Photoflex Shoe Mount Multiclamp

While adjusting the handle (pull out then release wherever desired) the cap at the end of the lever popped out. Soon I have the lever (handle), spring & the cap in my hands. I have reassembled the lever parts for now, but I am not keen on using it. Thankfully spring was not wound tight, else the tiny cap would have been launched far away.

The cap could be glued to the shaft (around which spring fits) carefully such that it would not block handle movement outward. Then again I did not buy this to repair it.

I will stick with Manfrotto 026 Swivel Umbrella Adapter (Lite-Tite).

** Mar 2012. I had returned it with in allowable time for refund then; bought Manfrotto 026.
on July 20, 2013
I have used the Photoflex for a family member's engagement wedding photo shoot. It has held up pretty good considering it is plastic and I like that the brass inserts for shoe mount and connecting to tripod can be replaced if needed. I gave it 4 stars because I was a little disappointed in the shoe mount itself. It only has a little screw to hold flash into place which at times will allow the speedlite to move. If this were to be replaced with a better shoe mount (clamping style) it would be a 5 star product. Over all I would still recommend it for a low budgeted photographer.
on July 20, 2010
Pretty good product. The cold shoe is not the greatest...the screw gets lose every once in a while, but decent.
NOTE: the the customer photos for this product are a great example on how to put ur umbrella and swivel together THE WRONG WAY. So do not follow them as a good. The first photo the umbrella has been put in from the wrong side (the hole for the umbrella is made at an angle so the flash would be pointing right in the middle of it...therefore in that pic the flash and umbrella run parallel and it't not because of the receiver. The second photo the swivel is put upside down...yes the flash point right in the middle of it but the umbrella is fixed to the lightstand. So if u want to tilt the umbrella u cant. This swivel is great if you know how to put it together, works with any flash and with those cheap receivers too.
on July 25, 2009
This is a much needed accessory for mounting speedlights to tripods with umbrellas. I've used this with both the Nikon SB-600 and SB-800 it held them both tightly but it still felt a bit flimsy to me.. Next the size of the "multi clamp" is bigger than I thought it would be.. Lastly and most importantly the reason I only gave it 3 stars is the metal cold shoe (as others reviewers have mentioned) But really Photoflex WTF? Why would anyone make a cold shoe out of metal? I recommend taking the cold shoe off and using the mounting foot that comes with your speedlight (it has a tripod socket on the underside of it, well atleast the Nikons do) if not then I highly recommend putting some electrical tape on the part where your flash contacts the coldshoe of the "multiclamp"
on December 11, 2014
The clamp is made out of a hard plastic, but all the important parts are made out of metal. All the threading and everything that needs to actually clamp is made of metal. I haven't put any serious weight on it yet, so I can't tell for sure, but it seems like a clamp that can take some abuse and seems like it would certainly deliver and be long lasting under reasonable circumstances.
on December 24, 2008
this comes with both a 1/4 inch and 5/8 inch tripod adapter but it's a scary thing to put it on a tripod from my expirience. on a light stand it is very solid however. I'm also not crazy about having an aluminum cold shoe and while I have not had problems with it, it scars me to no end that I'll short out my flash somehow. Also the coldshoe has a little screw that you tighen. I would have much rather had a standard cold shoe like the ones that come with the flash so I could use the flash's own tightening knob but I guess this gets the job done.

If you're reading this chances are you're on a budget so go ahead and get it. It's not fancy but it works.
on July 1, 2007
I'm a novice in studio photography and no way will I have an idea how this clamp would work based on the picture alone. This is one hell of a clamp. This is one clamp that is indeed well made, well conceptualized and well thought of. Highly recommended. I decided to get it based on a 5 stars rating on this site so I feel obliged to give my thanks to all of you who contributed in one way or another to helping others decide before buying an item! I give this clamp 6 stars!!! If you are still undecided about this clamp, I suggest to just go ahead and buy it...it's cheap and again very well made. I am very happy! Even with amazon's excellent return policy, this is one item I am sure you will certainly keep!