Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Photographer's Guide to the Canon PowerShot S95: Getting the Most from Canon's Pocketable Digital Camera
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on May 23, 2011
This book is everything it claims to be. The printout of Canon's pdf, hole-punched, in a binder on my computer books shelf does not suffice. Canon's manual is a reference book. White's book serves as a proper tutorial which I read at my leisure and also bring along with the camera if I want. For me it is worth the extra money to have the actual book. I keep the pdf of Canon's manual on my computer for searching fast. White's book is very readable and clear. And the layout and photos are very pleasing, which is important to me. By perusing the book, in just 24 hours I learned so much. I did not understand all the differences in SD cards - see pp 19-24. That in itself justified my getting this book. I already purchased and have been using the eye-fi card from reading a preview of the book. I look forward to learning all about the menus and setting up the shortcuts to my favorite menus. I highly recommend this book. To me it is a required "accessory" for anyone who wants to get the most out of the fantastic Canon PowerShot S95 10 MP Digital Camera with 3.8x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch inch LCD camera.
on April 12, 2011
After reading the Canon manual for the S95 three times, I still felt there were nuances of using its features that were evading me. I was hoping someone knowledgeable would write a more complete and understandable manual for this great little camera. When I learned that Alexander White had just completed such a text I contacted him for a copy. He told me it wasn't quite ready yet but he needed a proofreader for it for which I volunteered and was very satisfied to read the text tutorial I had been searching for. The writing is clear so the neophyte can easily grasp it but there is plenty of ideas included useful for a more advanced photographer. If you own a Canon S95, you really should get this book.
on April 16, 2011
This really is an essential book to have for all Canon S95 owners. Although the manual that comes with the camera deals with the basic technical details, this book takes it a step further with good colour illustrations and text that is easy to read and understand in plain English.

The practical side of photography with this great camera is covered in detail and good explanations throughout and I cannot recommend this book highly enough to everyone with an S95.
VINE VOICEon December 3, 2011
I bought the Kindle version of this book for my iPad. What a great book. Elements of it are very simple for the beginner, but the author also digs deep into the nuances and powerful functionality of the camera. I own Nikon and Pentax DLRs, so I have some familiarity with more complex camera functions. This book quickly brought me up to speed on how to get similar functionality form this powerful little camera. Highly recommend.
on April 20, 2011
I just received my paperback copy; and, from what I can see, everything that you would ever want to know about the S95... and then some... is coherently addressed in this concise, beautifully illustrated book.

As the happy owner of both an S90 and an S95, I can say that, without a doubt, Alexander White's "Photographer's Guide to the Canon Powershot S95," is a masterful reference/ resource... brimming with information that's applicable to either camera.

If you're anything close to being an S95 enthusiast, this book is an absolute "must have!"
on January 9, 2014
I found this book to be VERY useful. The Canon manual for this camera is robust, but as most reviewers have said, is more of a reference. Alexander White's guide makes practical sense of the large amount of information in the manual.

There are many "tricks" that make navigating the menus quicker, or even negating their use altogether. I found adding "Custom White Balance" to the shortcut button to be worth the cost of the book alone!

Very easy to read, super useful tips, and nice clear demonstration pics make this a must have.
on September 3, 2011
I've been using Canon point-and-shoot cameras since the days when APS film was popular. One thing I have always admired about Canon is that all the models I have used featured a consistent user menu. Every time I upgraded to a new Canon point-and-shoot, much of what I already knew was still relevant.

The S95 is a big step up from my previous Canon, and while I found much of the menu system to be familiar, there was a lot that was new. It turns out, after reading this book, there was also a lot about the menu system that I had never really understood.

The book is comprehensive, and it is written in a clear, easy-to-understand style. Other reviewers have mentioned the limitations of the Canon manual, and it's true. The Canon manual is a reference. This book tells you not only how the camera works, but why and when you would want to use a particular feature.

In my estimation, the two appendixes (covering accessories and quick tips) alone are worth the price.
on January 8, 2013
I've owned the S95 for several years but had never taken full advantage of all of the functionality (despite also being the user of an SLR camera). Since reading this book, I have really been able to take advantage of the different modes, etc.

He does a great job of explaining when you would use each setting. I followed along as I read with the camera, taking different pictures in different settings and comparing the outcomes to make sure I understood.
on April 20, 2011
I had the pdf manual provided with the S95 printed. And like a lot of manuals, it's primary use is telling how to do something you want to do.... not what to do in shoot circumstances or when one camera setting is preferred over another. This book does that and more in a style that's succinct and makes for enjoyable reading as well. I bought the pdf before the book went to press and decided I wanted the hardcopy, as well. It is an indispensable tool for getting the most out a terrific little camera. Don't hesitate, buy!! You will not regret it for a second.
on November 14, 2011
This is an outstanding book. Unlike most camera "help" books I've read (or tried to read), there is no convoluted mumbo-jumbo. It is very straightforward, with clear instructions that you can actually follow augmented by terrific photographs showing you exactly what your screen should look like and providing examples that help you differentiate between what one function does and what a similar function does. I am using many more of my camera's functions than before. This inexpensive book is vital for leveraging the real value of the far more expensive camera, so it's well worth every single penny.