Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Photographer's Guide to the Fujifilm FinePix X100
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

on December 19, 2011
This book is not only a comprehensive guide to a great camera, but it is also a model of clarity. Alexander White has written a book that includes everything that an expert photographer wants to know, and at the same time, he has written in such a clear and thoughtful style that it will guide even the relative beginner who wants to learn how to use this advanced camera. He has a knack for anticipating the questions that the reader will ask and answering them ahead of time. I think it's a "must" for anyone who want to get the best that this camera offers.
on January 28, 2012
The Fuji Finepix X100 is a complex camera with the potential to take really great photographs. Unfortunately, this camera comes with a manual that tells you about the camera's settings, but almost nothing about how to actually use those settings. One other reviewer called the camera's manual "useless". That's a pretty good description of it.

That's where Alexander White's book comes in. Yes, he repeats much of what is in the camera manual, but he goes on to organize it in sections that a photographer might want to digest one at a time. He leads you from the basics to a thorough knowledge of the camera. He even tells you how to download the (critical in my opinion) firmware upgrades from Fuji's website.

Yes, you can find this information online, for free. But let me ask you, what happens if you forget how to set the camera up for a certain type of shot when you are on the road or on vacation with it? Simple. Reach in your camera bag for this book. Use the excellent index, find what you need, make the settings, and take your photograph. Wasn't that easy?

I don't think you'll regret buying the Fuji X100 or this book. 5 stars, Dr. White!
on June 5, 2013
After struggling thru the owners manual of my new X100s. I found this book written for the X100, and based on other reviews it seemed to be of help to owners of the S . I am delighted to report that it was a great help and whilst it didn't cover everything on the upgrade it certainly explained the different workings and philosophies of the Fuji cameras. I jumped ahead in my understandings in leaps and bounds. Great book for those new to Fuji X series cameras. I will buy his book when it covers the X100s as well , which I presume will follow soon. Highly recommend .
on March 20, 2013
Very concise, illustrated guidebook for Fujifilm X100 owners. The book explains in full detail the operation and inner work of this fine camera. It will serve well those who own the X100S as well. Great manual.
on February 21, 2012
I bought this book when I was thinking about purchasing an X100, and I am really glad I did. The poorly written manual that comes with the camera (like all digital camera manuals) would have really dampened my enthusiasm for the X100. Instead, reading this book first (then reading it again when I got the camera) really helped me quickly get over the X100's learning curve, and has kept me energized about this camera.
on March 12, 2013
Trying to remember every setting and variation available with the Fujifilm Finepix X100 camera can be quite a task. Although with constant usage the camera becomes more and more familiar, having this well written and thorough guide makes life a lot easier. It is set out in a practical manner, with constant hints and referrals to other chapters that deal with specifics in more detail. I decided to get the hard copy (rather than the electronic PDF version) as it is compact enough to fit in a medium sized camera bag, and so can travel with me on field use if required.
I generally read up before hand if I want to tackle specific non standard tasks with this camera, and find the practical guides very informative and useful. I would recommend this guide as a handy back-up and assistant to the camera. It certainly covers a lot more than the manual that comes with this fine camera.
Just a few parts of the book are now out of date due to firmware updates to the camera - but this is inevitable at some stage.
on April 14, 2013
Bought book on kindle, easy reading. Nice format to understanding x 100 features. Purchased to get up to speed on x100s I purchased. Does not cover 100s new improvements. I like the book, found it useful.
on December 1, 2011
I bought this last week when I ordered the X100 from Amazon. It's okay, and I'm glad to have it around as a reference, but so far as setting up and learning the camera, I much preferred the "User's Guide" you can click to at [...]. Ken leads you through each stop on both the setup and shooting menu, explaining what it is and what it does and suggeesting his personal option. I differed with him on only one of the settings, and by the time I had worked my way through each of the steps, had the camera setup the way I wanted it and also had a good working knowledge of its controls and funtions.

Thanks, Ken. I never spend a photography dollar without consulting you.
on February 9, 2012
I like this book. I have the pdf version because it's easier to search. I'll buy the dead-trees version so I can make notes.

As I read this I find my eyes crossing at times. This book is better than the user manual, but not by much. In spots it can be a case of tmi.

To me, the fact that I have to make notes shows that things have been left out or not explained as well as they could have.

Also, while the camera has no pre-programmed modes, the author says the camera's settings will allow for pretty much anything. True enough. But for this to be a truly useful guide in the field, there should be a section of settings based on the subject, say, fireworks or birthday cake or bicycle race. That would have been very useful. Just look up candle light in the appendix and get a five step guide to settings. Simple.

Still, it's a good book - worth having a searchable on-line reference (Kindle or pdf) as well as something to keep on the shelf at home or to tuck in your bag. But this is no "field guide".

As for Ken Rockwell's guides - er, I don't think so. His stuff is free and worth every penny. Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of his, but you never know which Ken Rockwell will show up at any given time. He's either very easily distracted or is playing to his funding sources. He provides good info, but take it with a grain of salt.

Update: The author states that there is no AUTO mode, yet both the shutter dial and aperture dials have A settings. DUH! Secondly, he states that there is NO way to attach the lens cap. I drilled a small hole in mine, threaded a bit of black yarn through it, put a dab of glue on the inside of the cap, and tied the other end to the left eyelet. Lastly, does this guy know about spell-check? Sheesh.

4 stars, but only because there ain't much competition.
on December 19, 2011
This camera comes with a useless guide. This book is fantastic and allows me to make maximal use of this great camera. Highly recommended