Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on April 11, 2014
One of the things that would make reviews more helpful is information about the intended audience for a book, so here goes. I am a reasonably knowledgeable amateur photographer. I have been photographing for 10 years on and off in both in film and digital. I understand most of the concepts in photography but I am new to the X100S.

This book has been a huge help. Not only does it cover all of the controls and menu settings in great detail, but very importantly it tells you when and why you should use a particular feature. The text is very well written. As a technical author myself, I am impressed by the clarity of writing. I haven't yet had to read a sentence twice.

Other reviews have mentioned that the book can be repetitive. This is true but in a good way; for example when discussing a menu setting, the author might mention that a physical control (knob, switch, etc) can be used in conjunction with that setting. Then when discussing the physical control, the author might mention the effect of some menu settings. This has served to consolidate my knowledge; at all times the repetition has been necessary and helpful.

If you are a professional photographer then you will not need this book; you can almost certainly figure it all out for yourself. If you are anywhere below that standard then this book is 100% necessary. I thoroughly recommend this book. Having spent nearly NZ$2000 on the camera I am determined to make full use of it.

Full marks to Alexander White. I wish all instruction manuals were written as clearly as this one.
4 people found this helpful
on May 30, 2014
When reading PHOTOGRAPHERS GUIDE TO THE FUJIFILM X100S, I kept coming back to one question: Is the author really good at explaining how this camera works or is the X100S so easy to understand that it doesn't require a lot of explanation. In the end, I decided that it was a combination of both.

Most second party guides are a rehash of the manual, while I found that Alexander White approached the process by dividing the book into a few chapters that get you started and then subsequently following up with chapters that go into detailed descriptions on how the various aspects of the camera work. In other words, you can read the first part and start shooting. Then when you are comfortable with the camera, you can return to the book and learn about it in greater detail.

I bought this in both the Kindle and paper format. Each has its advantages. The Kindle version has better pictures than the paper back because you are viewing digital photos in their native form. On the other hand, it's nice to be able to physically hold the manual and bookmark the old fashioned way when reading an instructional work.

Alexander writes in a conversational style that conveys the information in an easy to understand manner. I haven't read any of his manuals before, but would consider buying one if I bought another camera. Unfortunately for him, I think I have found the only digital camera I will ever need in the X100S.
One person found this helpful
Top Contributor: Petson December 12, 2013
Excellent guide, written in clear language, that covers almost every facet of camera operation. Before receiving the x100s I read through the online manual and took notes for all the important sections. Still, it was not enough. After receiving the camera I had no idea why Program mode failed to display program choices or why aperture and shutter speed sometimes, but not always, displayed in the OVF before a half press of the shutter. Thanks to this book, much was cleared up. Both beginners and advanced photographers can benefit. Unlike the manual, reading through the book is painless. Many clear photographs of camera settings and camera shots illustrate the author's points.
Shooting and Setup menus of the camera are discussed in surprising depth, but a few quirks on focusing were omitted: The technique of "mashing the shutter" while in autofocus is very useful in fast street photography. The larger the focus frame size the faster the camera focuses, although a larger box will be less accurate and may cause the camera to back focus.
The Fuji x110s is a classic, and this book really helps one to get a clear handle on operations.
12 people found this helpful
on May 30, 2014
This book functions very well as an in depth manual for the Fujifilm x100s, guiding me logically through all of the capabilities and settings available with this camera, starting with a basic tutorial for setting the camera up for the first shot. The book also explains subtleties, like what it means when shutter speed and aperture are displayed in white versus blue versus red and when and why the focus frame is white versus green, etc. I'm sure there are plenty of experienced photographers out there with no need for this book. But, I've been using a Canon Rebel for about 10 years and I relied very heavily on a lot of automatic features, program shooting, zoom, etc. This camera represents a great leap for me in complexity and this book has saved me many hours of confused experimentation. I agree with other reviewers that the pictures in this book are pedestrian, absolutely boring (sorry Alexander S. White!). After reading some reviews, I had feared that boring pictures would be an obstacle to remaining engaged with the book, but I ordered it anyway because I really needed this kind of thorough introduction to the features of the camera. I'm happy to say that the boring pictures are no obstacle at all and serve their purpose, to inform, just fine. I hope this helps you decide whether this is the book for you.
on May 5, 2014
I cannot say enough good things about this guide. It might not be for everyone, but it was just what I was looking for. My fabulous new Fuji X100s is my first digital camera. I was an avid film photographer long ago, but I knew I'd need a good guide to help me make the transition to digital. Alexander White thinks of EVERYTHING and explains in a way that my brain understands. But this is not a dumbed-down guide just for people who need help getting through a menu tree: White also addresses more advanced concepts of optics, film speed, color saturation, etc. in depth. This guide will tell you everything from how to insert your battery into the charger (and what battery brands work best) to how to reset Kelvin temperatures in the camera (and when that's better than changing your white balance) (and what both of those mean!) He also turned me on to some great accessories that are just right for the Fuji. This is a wonderful guide -- both for digital photography in general and for the Fuji x100s in particular.
on June 30, 2014
This is the book I was hoping someone would produce. I bought my Fuji X 100S several years ago and it takes a semester course to learn all of its features. It is a fabulous camera, but complex. Point and shoot it ain't. This book, however, is an easy read and spells out how to access and then utilize all of the menus and dials and switches satisfactorily. After only three chapters, I actually figured out how to turn the camera on. Just kidding. I recommend this book.
on December 8, 2014
This is a good overall, easy to read, easy to search e-book on the X100 series. Most applies to the X100T, which I own and there is a learning curve. Just playing around with it reveals most features and options, but this book did answer a few questions I had and for the price, it was worth it for a couple of answers. The search feature is best of all in the index.
on April 28, 2014
Recently purchased a Fuji X100S camera which I am absolutely thrilled with. The owners manual, which came with it, no way provides all the information on the use of the camera nor any opinion on the features and their use. This is one of several books on the X100s. I am not a photo book reviewer and tis is the only 3rd party guide I have, so I can not compare it to other volumes. I am, though, going back to it as I learn the camera, and it's providing what I need for now.
on March 2, 2017
Fairly well organized. I was looking for the finer points, but the emphasis is on the beginner. Nothing wrong with that . . . if you're a beginner.
on July 16, 2014
This is an excellent and useful guide for anyone from a beginner to a seasoned professional. I purchased the camera in time for a family trip to China and read the guide on the plane flight over. The tips in the guide helped me take some of the best photos I have ever taken.