Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Final Fantasy XIV Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 240 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 247 reviews
on April 16, 2014
I like the setup - but like what other buyers have pointed out...

1. It does sag in the middle. I use a CowboyStudio muslin backdrop and it's very light. But it still sags
2. I've used the setup 3 times, and one of the nut/bolt thingies has already broken through the plastic. It is very light-duty. At my last event, I had to use light-duty duct tape on the stand to keep it from sliding down.

Pros.
- It's friggin tall!! Taller than I expected. You don't have to do that weird thing with the base legs to get that last foot at the top... I shoot pictures of belly dancers and sometimes they use props called isis wings, which extend about 3 feet from their hands... and so when they pose holding the wings straight up - I still have backdrop behind the tips.

If I had the budget - I would skip these item for the more expensive $200 set... but like many, I have a wife, this is a hobby and until this hobby starts paying for itself - just realize that budget products will have shortcomings.. but you can always find a way to work around it.
on January 18, 2012
This was a surprisingly good purchase. The backdrop stand is quite stable for a portable appliance (I have routinely taken mine up to 8 feet with no fear of tip-over). The height is easily adjustable with twist release clamps.

The length of the center bar can be set at about 5 feet by using just two sections, almost 8 feet with three sections, and about 10 feet when all four are installed. At 10 feet across I have draped two muslins for no-wait backdrop changes, I just have the model move five feet to the side.

A bonus is the high quality protective carry case. There is an individual pocket for everything in the kit, and possibly room for a single backdrop cloth (I use a separate bag for my backdrops). The only thing missing here is a shoulder strap for the carry case.

A word of common sense: this is a portable stand for muslins and works well for my home and road studio, but I doubt it would hold up well for the rigors of industrial professional studio work.

I am pleased as I can be with this product.
11 comment| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I bought this after extensive research. There is a wide variety in cost when it comes to these support stands, and usually I like to buy the most expensive item I can afford (with fingers crossed that cost is equated with quality). In this case, however, I decided that since I was mostly going to use this in a studio I had some play in terms of quality. I was only going to set it up once, and then leave it set up. As such, I figured I could start cheap, and make it work regardless of quality. If it was too bad, I could always buy another more expensive support system. Imagine my surprise when this showed up at my studio. The supports were nicely stored in a carrying bag, and were realitivly high quality. The stands are air dampened and are easy to adjust. Needless to say, I was very impressed with the two stands. I was a little disappointed in the four section support bar. When you put all the sections together, it is long, and therefore there is slight drooping in the middle. By slight, I mean perhaps two inches. Obviously, I frame my photos so that you can't see the top of the backdrop but the droop is annoying. Also the support bar is relatively thin, and while it supports a 9 X 12 Westcott backdrop with no problem, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Despite this weakness, I was very happy with my purchase. I could have spent significantly more money and gotten a product not much different from this one. It has held up through more than a few studio shoots, and while I've never packed it up and brought it on location, I am quite sure that I could with no problems. I was so pleased with this system, in fact, that I actually ordered a second one in order to set up a second "shooting bay" in my studio. This makes "two-background shoots" quicker and easier, and allows more time shooting the client and less time messing around with backdrops!
on August 9, 2014
The stand is surprisingly robust though so far I have only used it with 2 or 3 of the top sections but it has supported up to 3 heavy backdrops at one time. I find it time consuming threading the poles through the top pockets on the backdrops (and the support stands tend to move when pulling the backdrops across to change them when attached in this way) so I just attach the backdrops using muslin clamps http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CRKZOM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which also allows me to stretch the backdrops taught and minimize any creases in the fabric.
on December 4, 2014
Terrible. Not sure exactly what kind of backdrop this thing is meant to hold up. Muslin is too heavy. Maybe it could hold up a thin roll of paper. It crinkled a vinyl backdrop of mine because it bends together in the middle and now my entire backdrop has crinkles down the middle. And it was only a 5x7 size, not even big. The bars barely hold together in the middle. I'm always worried they are going to come apart and the whole thing will come crashing down on my baby's head. They don't even snap together, they just kind of fit together. Don't waste your money and buy a higher quality backdrop stand!
on January 17, 2015
Carrying case for the stand started coming apart at the seam with first use.
review image
on January 9, 2016
Great quality stand except the handle on the bag tore upon taking it out of the box. But as far as the stand itself, I really like how the bars lock into one another at the top. This makes for a much sturdier pole which can hold more weight without sagging. The only reason I didn't give 5 stars was because I haven't come across a pole yet that doesn't sag at least a little, but it's by far the best one I've purchased yet, and great for the price. I bought 2 of these because I was happy with the first and when I needed an even longer center pole, I could interlock more of the bars together (using extras from the 2nd set). Win win!
on March 5, 2015
Everything looked good when it arrived. The nylon bag seemed durable and the customized sleeves and rings left the items pretty snug with little worry they would bend or break from minor rough handling. I was impressed with the initial thoughtfulness that went into packaging that I thought I may of found a gem of a stand.

Then I assembled it.

Everything about this is flimsy. I have no confidence in this stand holding up to the test of time in a even hobbyist studio. The hanging rod does not stay very secure and even without the weight of a backdrop, the kit looked very flimsy and bowed and leaned. It was so hard to setup as the unit didn't stay together very well and will require two people to put together in any decent amount of time.

The fastening knobs use a squeezing mechanism like extendable automobile ice scrapers that does not instill any confidence in its stability. If I had to do it over again I would stick with my LumoPro stands and bought a crossbar to fit.
on February 26, 2014
I didn't use this product for photography. I was actually looking for a stand that would hold a custom designed 10-foot banner to sit on a stage as a backdrop for speakers. However, I could not afford the "banner stands" offered by the "banner" companies. I decided to take a chance and look at support stands for video backdrops and ran across this one. I must say that it fit my banner perfectly, and I take it with to events all the time.

The quality, in my opinion is very good. I, along with my husband, are the only ones who break it down and set it up at our events. We do this, not because the quality is poor or anything because it isn't, but to make sure it is handled with care and will last as long as possible. I looped the 10x9 banner to the pole. Unlike Photographers, I do not have the hassel of changing the backdrops over and over again. I could see how this would be a problem if this was the case. In doing so, I purchased a 12-foot PVC pipe that I could store the 10-foot banner and rod in for safe keeping, and used the caps to seal the end. All in all, that pipe and caps cost me about $25. Best of all, the other parts fit snugly in the tote back provided.

This support stand has been a LIFE SAVER for me. I am planning to purchase a second one as a backdrop, as I travel a lot and want to be prepared when speaking. I understand some of the other reviews were not good, and again -- it might be fragile if you are constantly changing the backdrops on the rod. But because this isn't something that I do AT ALL... it works fine for me.
on February 23, 2014
I have to say at first I didn't know if I wanted to purchase this kit because of some of the reviews about it being broken fresh out the box but decided to take a chance on it. I have to say it was a reasonable price and I had no problem with it at all when I got mine in the mail so I give it 5 stars because mine came in the mail with everything in tact, they work just fine for me and I have yet to have a problem with them.