- Paperback: 360 pages
- Publisher: New Riders; 1 edition (May 15, 2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0321563174
- ISBN-13: 978-0321563170
- Product Dimensions: 7.9 x 0.8 x 9.9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.8 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 47 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,301,898 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Photoshop CS4 Down & Dirty Tricks 1st Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
All Books, All the Time
Read author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more at the Amazon Book Review. Read it now
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Back Cover
UNLOCK THE SECRETS OF THE HOTTEST TRICKS, AND MOST REQUESTED PHOTOSHOP EFFECTS IN ONE AMAZING BOOK!
Scott Kelby, co-host of "Photoshop User TV" and the world's #1 bestselling Photoshop author, is back to unlock the secrets of an amazing new collection of the latest eye-popping, jaw-dropping, Photoshop special effects-the same kind that made Scott's previous editions of this book one of the top selling Photoshop books in history.
You'll learn some of the most closely guarded Photoshop CS4 special effects-the same ones you see on TV, in magazines, and on the Web. Using Scott's simple step-by-step method, with hundreds of full-color images, you'll see exactly how it's all done. The book is written so clearly, and it is so easy to follow, you'll immediately be able to create all of these effects yourself. You'll learn:
- The latest photographic special effects
- How to fake studio shots (you'll be amazed at how it's done)
- The latest cutting-edge type effects
- The most popular effects used by big movie studios
- The most-requested advertising effects
- Commercial effects that clients go crazy over!
- The most asked-for current Web effects
- Amazing 3D effects using Photoshop Extended
- Plus loads of effects that look hard, but are easy once you know the secrets
And not only that, but the whole book is packed with creative ideas, layouts, and design techniques that will help you unleash your own creativity. It's all here, in the only Photoshop book of its kind. You're gonna love it!
About the Author
Scott Kelby is president of the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP), the trade organization for Adobe Photoshop users, which has 70,000 members worldwide. Scott is also Editor and Publisher of Photoshop User magazine. He's the co-host of the highly acclaimed Photoshop User TV, and teaches photography and imaging workshops around the world. Scott serves as training director for the Adobe Photoshop Seminar Tour and is the technical chair of the largest Photoshop gathering, Photoshop World.
Top customer reviews
His Down & Dirty tricks books are always awesome and a treat to read and use and you learn a lot about the creative aspects of using and learning more about Photoshop.
I have been using Photoshop for over 20 years and consider my own knowledge extensive, but Scott Kelby always manages to continue and surprise me on his even more extensive knowledge of the application!!!
This Photoshop Down & Dirty Tricks books are a must for ANY Adobe Photoshop user at ANY level of expertise or competency!
If you can still find any version of these style books, they are ALL still valid and ALL are a must have to any creative library!
With the publication of this new book I realize his focus is now really on the professional, not on the kind of a user I am. There are some interesting and instructive areas in this book, and Amazon made it completely affordable for me .. but this is not a book that I will bring out often. I generally try and go through all my books when I purchase them so that I know what to pull when I'm involved in a project. There just isn't enough creative stuff in it for my level which I rate as about intermediate.
The GOOD NEWS is that Steve Caplin's Art & Design in Photoshop (also carried by Amazon) is a cracker-jack book. It comes with a CD that includes (among a number of other things) a boat-load of new (to me, at least) fonts which you can install for use with your work, some of it totally in sync with the atmosphere you're trying to create .. I've been frustrated in the past by my inability to bring off a graphic simply because I did not possess a good font.. Additionally, the illustrations in the book are clear and concise.. you really can learn a lot.
I'm keeping Scott's book, but doubt I will really use it much.
I guess that's the true 'down and dirty' part of it. This book screams: "It just LOOKS hard, because you don't know how it was done. So here's how to do it."
(1) Step by step, picture-guided method of teaching. Very easy to follow.
(2) The book covers a variety types of usage of Photoshop tricks, like effects of type, photo, vector art, lots of commercial material, posters, web material... etc.
What I do not like about this book...
The paper!!! Yes, you heard me, it's the paper. I am by no means an expert of paper, but this type of paper is so much harder to flip the pages. They don't really stick to your finger (so you can't easily "clamp" the pages up with 2 fingers), instead the pages stick to each other (so it's not easy to flip pages using the edge of the paper. You might think I'm crazy complaining about the paper, but I found it very annoying, and it just made reading the book that much more unpleasant.
What I wish about this book...
I wish that it came with a CD of the materials (say texture, photos... etc.), so readers can actually follow it step by step; which in my opinion is always a better way of learning.
- The material used in the book has very very strong commercial sense
- After reading it, I think this book teaches you design more than anything.
- The book is really about Photoshop tricks here and there, a lot of them you don't really need the latest CS to achieve. The title of the book is really not so helpful, in the sense of what the book is about.
- Scott is a decent graphic designer. I think he went to school for it...
I think it is worth the money for me.
I learned graphic design, a little bit web, and many tricks for my photography.
I discovered this book at the library and liked it enough that I decided to get one, however, I only liked it enough to get a gently used copy for about 5 bucks less than half of the retail price. I'd encourage you to do the same.