Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 211 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 264 reviews
on March 6, 2013
It is no secret that Photoshop is an extremely complex software, unlike any other MS Office products that I've spent so much time with. The learning curve is long and you can easily get frustrated when you can't figure out how to achieve the processing that you envisioned. I have been using Photoshop Elements for several years, without every achieving any commendable level of mastery, but now that I have more time on my hands to experiment and learn, I thought it was time to move on to CS6. The first step after installing the software was to buy this book.

This step-by-step guide by one of the foremost experts, Scott Kelby, breaks it all down into manageable chunks with simple text and great illustrations and sample images. The index allows you to find just the topic you're looking for and jump into that section, or if you're truly a neophyte, you can start from the beginning and work your way through. Sometimes, I just pick up the book and flip randomly to a new section so that I can practice another skill. The writing style is clear and entertaining without an excessive use of jargon.

Highly recommended whether you're just starting out in Photoshop, or looking to upgrade from a basic skill level.
on March 20, 2017
Great book! We are using this book in my college class, DMA110. I have been a casual user of photoshop for many years. This book is laid out so the lessons are easy to understand and are not really dependent upon each other. Some basic photoshop knowledge is assumed. You will need Photoshop CS6 as the program is not shipped with the book.
on August 15, 2013
I have used Scott Kelby's books before and always found them an excellent source of practical knowledge and guidance.
I consider myself around an intermediate level photoshop user having used it now for 5-6 years albeit in a limited way.
First thing to note, this book is for photograher users, not graphic design users. If you want to know how to design say web interfaces or GUI elements, them while you no doubt gain useful info, this book is all about editing photographs, not making buttons and interfaces etc.
The biggest revelation to me was how far the camera raw settings have come, as i say having been using raw adjustments for 5 + years. Maybe i didnt fully understand what was there before, but now I can edit much or all I need to in raw alone, and the raw adjustments do many things either better than the photshop adjustments, or things that they dont really do. I love the Adjustments brush in raw, for instance.

Scott gives a wide varity of options in many cases, but always gives his own preferences and reasons why . The chapter on sharpening is as comprehensive as you would ever want, in my opinion, as a good example.

I have had absolutely o problems understanding any of the instructions, the screen shots and annotations are as clear and easy to follow as you would want, and the whole thing just makes sense and is easy to follow.

Negatives: - well there arent too many, if any. One small thing - I would like to see an index of the "Photoshop Killer Tips" up front as some of these are gems but its like if you didnt know they were there, how would you ever thing to look them up in the index at the back?
The other thing, not a negative, but maybe if you are a top-level user you might already know a lot of whats in the book. But then, would you have a need for a book if you were that sort of user?
on December 25, 2012
If you're primarily - or better yet, exclusively - interested in learning/using the Camera Raw aspect of CS6, then this is a well-written, well-organized work. If you're attempting to learn CS6 "Photoshop", then I'd think twice about buying this. Kelby goes from the introduction directly into Camera Raw, and rarely surfaces for air regarding the CS 6 Photoshop aspect. Since I was looking to migrate from Photoshop Elements 10 to CS6, I bought this based on the uniformly glowing reviews, only to find out belatedly it's not what I was looking for at all. It's an invaluable aid if you're focused on Camera Raw, but nothing in the Amazon description prepares a buyer for what is essentially a misleading title.
on October 30, 2013
I bought this book with high expectations of learning how to use photoshop to do more image editing, however, did not get what I was looking for.

His workflow is exactly the same as it was for Lightroom and most techniques are done with layers instead of brushes. I believe that this book is useful in its own way. Most of the technique you can find on youtube and Adobe's website.

So do not buy if you want anything more than than a 475 page tutorial of where things are at. Plus, there is a newer version for 2013 that includes Photoshop CS6 and CC, for exactly the same price. Link below.

The Adobe Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers (Covers Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CC) (Voices That Matter).
on August 23, 2012
It is a complete practical book designed for any who wants to get results immediately.

The book is divided in twelve chapters. Each chapter starts with an intro that definitely I don't like, but as the author mention at the introduction you can skip, and after few chapters, you realize that's what you are forced to do.

Each topic inside the book is explained with certain steps that you can follow very easy. Most of the topics are well explained in two pages some more sophisticated in four, the text is at the sides with excellent photos showing all the steps.

At the end of each chapter there exist a resume of the important tips. It is called "Photoshop Killer Tips". Once that you followed the examples inside each chapter it will be very easy, on the future, review the last page to remember the important facts.

All the video features of Photoshop are covered in one chapter "The Videodrome", for sure it is not enough if you plan to make professional videos, but it is a good starting point.

The last chapter called "My Photoshop CS6 Digital Photography Workflow" explains in 13 steps how to perform an excellent adjustment. For sure this chapter only can be written by a person with a lot of practical experience as a photographer and as a Photoshop guru.

As an engineer I will like to have more technical details, but definitively this is not the objective of this completely practical book. Beside the jokes at the middle of the steps, is a good material that you must have in your Photoshop book collection.
on January 20, 2013
The CS6 Book for Digital Photographers is the latest in the series from Scott Kelby, now updated to include the latest features in Photoshop. CS6 is a pretty extensive software upgrade with a good number of new features, and Kelby does well once again to get to the nuts and bolds of using them in a practical way, without getting bogged down in theory or semantics.

Like the previous books in the series, it's not necessary to read the sections of the book in any particular order. Each individual section shows how to perform a particular function, giving practical examples and actual settings, so you can skip around the book and focus in on things that you feel are particularly relevant to your particular workflow.

This latest version covers several new topics including editing video from your DSLR, and processing and editing images using the "Merge to HDR Pro" feature. I personally have only dabbled a little bit with HDR images in the past and have not managed so far to get the results I wanted. But flipping through this part of the book reveals many useful suggestions, and specific instructions for what settings to use as a starting point. Scott even explains how to establish some presets for HDR that will work well in most situations to deliver the goods. After doing this, you can begin to make adjustments where desired. This has made me eager to give HDR another try since it seems that Kelby has filled in a lot of the 'blanks' that were bogging me down previously.

The video editing section is another great plus in this book, and stumbling across this section is actually the first time I realized that Photoshop CS6 can also be used to edit video, without needing to purchase the 'extended' software version. Scott explains what it can and cannot do, and how to use the video editing features effectively. CS6 does not give you the full functionality of a dedicated video editing program such as Premier Pro, but Scott shows how you can use what is there to edit the typical videos that most folks produce with today's latest model DSLRs. It's exciting to know that many of the same editing tools we commonly use when editing still photos can now be applied to video clips as well.

CS6 gives even more control for raw image processing than previous versions, and Kelby goes into some detail about how to do portrait editing right there in Adobe Camera Raw. After the CS5 upgrade, I found myself doing more and more editing in camera raw and less in Photoshop itself. With CS6 you will likely find yourself going even further in that direction.

As with previous editions in this series, each chapter concludes with a "Photoshop Killer Tips" section to give you a few more gems that were not included in the chapter.

If you enjoyed the previous versions in this series, then you will probably love this latest edition. And you'll also find yourself quickly getting up to speed with the updated features and controls in Photoshop CS6.
on December 24, 2012
If location, location, and location are the three most important things in real estate, then it is much the same thing in Photoshop that workflow, workflow, and workflow are the important triumvirate. Whereas the fine "Classroom in a Book: Adobe Photoshop CS6" provides fine step by step explanations and exercises for beginners and those who need refreshing on less frequently used techniques, Scott Kelby gives a lighthearted look at the nuts and bolts of both the techniques and the efficient processes required of professional and serious amateur photographers. His material is geared toward photographers and he ignores some of the more esoteric features of Photoshop that are more in the realm of graphics manipulation, like puppet wrap and the intracies of text font selection and text manipulation that are perhaps more useful to users of other programs in the CS6 suite, like Illustrator. The materials for the exercises and the bonus materials available from his website are first rate and provide a challenging set of examples for photographers. If you don't like his quirky humor, then do as he advises and don't read the introductions to the chapters. Personally, I find them amusing and part of the charm of Mr. Kelby's work.
on June 27, 2013
I am an amateur photographer with an advanced-beginner to intermediate level of skill in both digital photography and Photoshop. I bought Scott Kelby's book to help me through both the workflow and mechanics of sorting, selecting, and processing about 1,000 images from a photographic safari. I wanted to use the exercise to improve my Photoshop skills and to learn to use the Adobe Camera Raw capabilities of Photoshop that I'd never used. The step-by-step, no-nonsense approach of the book was exactly what I needed. It simplified my image processing considerably and I am very pleased with my results. Kelby does have an irreverent streak in his personality that shows in his books. (I previously bought Kelby's three-volume Digital Photography set and also found it helpful.) That simply doesn't bother me and isn't so pervasive in the book as to be distracting. An important consideration in selecting a photography book is to fit it to your skill level--neither too advanced nor too elementary--and this book fit mine to a tee.
on December 16, 2012
I hate classifications, but I guess I could call myself an intermediate non-professional photographer and Photoshop user. This is a great read and a great reference book. I would recommend it for photographers like myself and newbies who need something other than the Adobe "Classroom in a Book" (which I do recommend to newbies who learn that way).

I have been using Photoshop since before I was convinced to be come a "Digital" photographer. For the last four upgrades I have purchased Scott Kelby's Photoshop books. I almost skipped this one because I thought I probably new all there was to know by now. Well, I bought it anyway and, after reading the first few chapters, I found I had learned enough new stuff that the purchase of the book was well worth it.

This book contains useful information on both processing images with Photoshop, and navigating Photoshop. I especially like that he presents more than one way to accomplish something and explains the different results possible. As a bonus, there is a treasure trove of shortcuts and hints.

I also recommend his collection of books on "Digital Photography".