Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite uncharted Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 42 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 69 reviews
TOP 100 REVIEWERon January 27, 2009
This is an essential and easy to use book for Photoshop Elements. If you can click, double click, and drag (prerequisites from the author); you can use this book and Photoshop Elements to imrpove your pictures.

My digital photography goes back to when 3MegaPixel cameras were $1000 and computer speeds were measured in MHz. I have over 30,000 digital pictures, and have used every version of Photoshop Elements. This is one of the best books I have ever seen to better use a piece of computer software. It truly is the manual they should have shipped with this software.

The author does start slowly and carefully. She makes sure that everyone knows the basics. She also makes it clear, you won't get to editing with layers in the first week. Read and digest only those topics important to you at that moment, and practice. It's very easy to skip around and work on the particular topic your photograph needs. Red eye correction, something we all do frequently. It's very clear, there's the very simple approach with some tweaks to size things correctly, how to do it automatically, and then a box with Power User suggestions (using the eyedropper tool) when things don't work exactly right.

The author's approach is to present the simple, should work most of the time procedure, then some simple options for improvement, and what to do if that procedure doesn't work. It's chock full of tips and hints all well organized.

This book should speak volumes to the new user, the upgrader from previous versions, and fairly skilled users. Even those basic topics I've taken for granted, (using grids to straighten a photograph), include things I wouldn't have known, (you can change the grid color - black can be very annoying when working with sports pictures). As another reviewer has mentioned, the upgrade from 6 to 7 was pretty minor for the things you need to do every day, edit and improve your pictures, so this book applies reasonably well.

The book is in color, but the printing is not exactly the most fabulous I've ever seen. The color photographs are kind of gray and not terribly high resolution, must have kept printing costs down. The good news, the pictures are available on line to try, so you can see the effects for yourself. The binding also feels like it will fall apart with heavy use, another cost cutting measure.

I did not realize when ording this book that David Pogue is behind this series. That's a fabulous thing. He is an amazing tech writer, and has been in the computer business for a very long time (I remember his Macintosh series when an SE/30 was cutting edge). He knows how to balance fun and technology without excluding people with tech language. This book follows that philosophy to the letter.

Strongly recommend this book for everyone that wants to know how to better use Elements, from the beginning amateur to the advanced photographer. If you are a fairly advanced user and have sought out this book, I think you will be impressed with the depth of coverage at a very reasonable price.
on June 29, 2009
To be honest I was disappointed with this book for what I needed. I wanted a reference type manual that I could readily refer to when editing my pictures as a photographer to improve them using the many filters or techniques used from its 'big brother' Photoshop CS 4. This book did not deliver that perspective, instead it was aimed more to the person creating a digital scrap book or family albums, which is fine but not what I needed. To give you an example of what I am refering to there was only 35 pages set aside to explain 'Filters, effects, layer styles and gradients' compared to 40 pages for 'E mail & the web and online albums & slideshows'! The book does mention the filters, but only in a very basic format, lacking pictures of before and after shots plus key sliders controlling the various applications.
At the time of purchasing this manual, I also purchased a Rick Sammon's book on photographing people [Nothing to do with his digital dark room series of books]and got far more useful and easily understood instructions from this then I did with the missing manual, even though he was refering to Photoshop CS!
This book is good for those who like to create projects, albums, scrap books and the basics of what elements can do, but it does not cover more of the useful tips and techniques employed by professional photographers such as Renaissance lighting or using the blur tool to selectively soften wrinkles on faces. One could say I may be lazzy in not discovering these things for myself over time, however, the bottom line is that the Photoshop series of digital editing is so vast and complex that I purchase manuals to get me jump started straight into the operation.

Overall it depends what you want to use Photoshop Elements for as to how useful you will find this book. If looking for more of the professional photographers technique manual then I suggest looking for a different book.
22 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2014
For anyone who has used Photoshop in any of its numerous forms, it is extremely powerful, but also very complicated, and sometimes not the most intuitive. This manual is written in a comfortable style, without being condescending to the reader. It doesn't cover EVERY question you might have, but does go over the most basic operations. It has been very helpful for me, and is a good reference when I need do do something new.
on January 16, 2012
As for the book, it's exactly what it says: the book that should have come in the box. Well written, easy to understand, thorough. If you want to know exactly how to do something, just go there. If you want to understand the whole program, start at the beginning. If you're tired of trial and error, or your program came without any manual (pre-installed), this is the go-to book. Better than any others I've seen (especially better that the Idiot book). I checked out about 13-15 different books from the library before deciding this is the must-have. No doubt: get it!
on December 1, 2008
This is one of the best books on Photoshop Elements 7 available. I guarantee that you will need this book if you are new to Photoshop Elements 7. The Photoshop Elements 7 software package only comes with a small introduction booklet. And I have never had success learning to do something via the "Help" files. I am also sure that an experienced user can use this book as a reference. I have been using Photoshop Elements 7 for over a week now. So far, I have found an answer in this book to every problem I have encountered.

The author's writing style is excellent. It is not too light and it is not too dense.
on September 12, 2009
This is a very well written and easy to read book. Photoshop Elements is almost impossible to figure out using the built-in help, so you need some other reference. I strongly recommend this one. The book is well indexed and it is easy to find what you need for a specific task without reading the whole book. It also is an excellent source to find out all the things you can do with Elements. There are many excellent examples to help you learn how to use this powerful, but somewhat cumbersome, program.
on March 12, 2017
good condition
on January 10, 2010
The title of this book says it all. Every time I've had a question about how to do something I've been able to find a quick answer in this book. The index could use even more links, but when I looked for instructions on how to move just one layer in a project to another new project I found the answer easily in the chapter on layers even though I could not find information on it in the index.
Excellent book and it should have come with Photoshop Elements 7 softare!
on July 13, 2015
This is a strong addition to my arsenal of Elements 7 books and contains much information that I did not already have covered in the six other Elements 7 books that I have.
on May 25, 2015
Had taken this out at the library and although it is for the older version, I bought it for the Appendix shortcuts to have on hand. Excellent resource for learning as a beginner.