Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 25 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 37 reviews
on August 23, 2015
I have worked with Photoshop for years, I started with Photoshop 5, and I am continually surprised at what it will do and how many ways there are to do it. With The Photoshop CS5 I have found a treasure trove of different ways of doing what I know,but in easier and quicker ways. I have started to restore older photos as a business and have found this book extremely helpful. Instead of guessing where to start I just match the problems up with the descriptions in the book and use the directions, Very good
on June 9, 2012
I am a photoshop cs4 expert and use photoshop for restoration and retouch. I thought buying this book would share some other techniques I could learn from and use. Half of the book is photoshop 101 and than there is about 50+/- pages of restoration and the rest is touchup and beautification. I think the photos for the book are not photographic quality. The layout of material seems odd. I had to return the book back to amazon for a refund. I returned the book in less than 10hrs.

Now, if you are new to photoshop and want to learn... than yes this book will help you and give you some insight. I just don't like someone's title restoration and retouch, when 1/2 the book isn't. For beginner three stars, for me one star...mostly for layout, title misrepresentation, and reuse of some photos.
on June 15, 2011
I found the book very clearly written with engaging examples. The skills required for restoration and retouching were built up nicely based on a well-chosen chain of examples. I liked the hands-on tutorial nature of the book so I was a bit disappointed that not all the photos used as examples were available on the Wiley web site for the reader to follow along with the author (a 5-star book, otherwise). For some of his lessons, you just have to read along - bummer! Also, in later examples, it's assumed you've mastered techniques discussed earlier - crossreferences aren't always provided but I found the book index quite good when I needed a refresher and a crossreference was missing. The illustrations in the book demonstrating the manipulations to be performed in Photoshop are very well done, very clear and easy to follow. Excellent book, not the only one you'll ever need to appreciate all the nuances of Photoshop CS5, but a book that skillfully tours all the basics and then teaches you how to apply those basics to restoring old photos. Along the way, there's a lot of practical advice on what to look for in a photo, when something needs to be fixed, and when it doesn't, how much to fix it, etc. One example I remember in particular is the Dahlia_Farm.tif. What a dumb photo to be working with, I thought. But Fitzgerald points out why the photo is distracting and drab and helps you transform it into something that's interesting to look at - and you think, "This guy really knows what he's talking about!....."
on February 5, 2011
I really think this book gets better and better. My only gripe is that I cannot get the photo's on the website to download for use in the tutorials (if anyone knows how to do this please let me know). That said, as I go through the chapters I have been using my own photos instead and that is working out ok, and I have been learning the basics plus...his style is helping photoshop slowly sink into my brain. Photoshop takes lots of practice and I realize that not "one" book will cover it all...this book is a great addition to my PS library.
on June 25, 2011
I choose this book over all the others on the market because of it's indepth approach to restoration and retouching. It teaches you the fundamentals of workflow and provides you with the knowledge of not just how but why you follow certain steps to achieve a professional retouched image.
on March 18, 2014
I am using this book along with its supply of photos to learn the touch up of their photos which will prepare me to do my own photos. I use other sources also to further understand all the power of CS5 photoshop.
on May 18, 2011
WOW this book has taken my Photoshop knowledge to the next level. As a one man operation maximizing my time in front of the screen is important. Thank You Mark for taking the time to write it
on May 6, 2011
As a graphics design hobbyist and novice photographer, recently retired, I am now trying to organize my hundreds of family photos, both paper and digital. So many of these pictures are old and discolored. I became an ardent Adobe fan by taking classes at my local community college. I have maintained my Adobe software programs, both Lightroom 3 and Photoshop CS5, in order to be able to relax and do the organization and restoration using tools that can make my work look as good as possible. I am also one who needs detailed step-by-step tutoring in order to understand the processes thoroughly. I had been looking for a book that would give this type of training for the different types of restoration and retouching in detail using a current Photoshop software versions. When I saw this book on the shelves I was truly overcome with joy. It was my good fortune that the book was in stock at Amazon. This type of detailed explanation and training is usually found only in the classroom environment, with limited time constraints, because on site classroom sessions can only last for a few houra within a semester. Although I have not had the opportunity to use all the techniques provided by the author, I will be ever grateful that Mark Fitzgerald wrote this book so that I can learn in my own time and my own space.
on July 24, 2014
I am a Photoshop enthusiast and purchased the Kindle edition of this book. As a hobbyist, I found the book’s step-by-step instructions easy to follow. ‘Adobe Photoshop CS5 Restoration and Retouching For Digital Photographers Only’ is an excellent reference for any one using Photoshop to restore, retouch and otherwise manipulate digital photography. The Kindle edition adds tremendous value to this book. You can access this resource from your cell, table or laptop from almost anywhere.
My initial impression of this book was negative. I thought author Fitzgerald's approach to the subject was too shallow. Once I started reading in detail though, I realized that Mark Fitzgerald is a cut or two above the average Photoshop "how-to" author.

Fitzgerald spends the first 70 or so pages explaining the basics of Photoshop, color theory and then what rank as among the best explanations of the Levels and Curve functions I've ever read. He doesn't bury you in arcane detail, omitting for example the purpose of the eyedropper tools in the Curves panel. Instead he sticks to practical application and walks you through a few examples to familiarize you with the basics of the functions. It is a deceptive approach: at first I thought Fitzgerald was merely being shallow. It took m a few moments to realize that he had done a better job of explaining of Levels and Curves than I had ever seen before.

Fitzgerald employs this "less is better" approach throughout the book, which makes it extremely readable. Granted, it does not result in this becoming a reference book or lead to you becoming an expert in every obscure Photoshop function. Rather, it teaches you the basics and provides a truly excellent grasp of what Photoshop can do. It is the best book I have ever seen in this regard and an excellent preparation before you approach the masters such as Katrin Estrin. (In fact, is there anyone else other than Estrin on this subject?)

After the basics, Fitzgerald spends another 70 pages on Layers and Sections. Only then does he move into the basics of retouching and restoration.

For the beginner through the moderately experienced Photoshop user, I cannot think of a better book. Fitzgerald has simplified things, but not to the point of being condescending. He provides a very solid base in the fundamentals and is to be thanked profusely, I think, for doing that.

An excellent book.