Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite uncharted Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 27 reviews
on November 20, 2012
This is not a comment about the book contents but simply a big warning for the digital format. Almost all equations were simply images scanned from the books. And reference links or cited pages were either wrong or dead. Why the hell there's a kindle version anyway? And such bad qualities and useless print still costs 58 USD, hard-cover is only 5 bucks more. I know I'm stupid, but please stop scamming money out of nerds.
on April 30, 2013
So far the content seems good but the kindle edition suffers greatly. All of the page number cross referencing is broken and there's absolutely no way to figure out which location in the kindle edition corresponds to which page in the print book.
on November 17, 2013
When that kindle edition was on sale, I ordered that print replica version instead of regular kindle edition (mobi). I had a PDF-version copy for a while but they altered my digital order with kindle edition instead without my knowledge. Later kindle app automatically re-downloaded it from cloud storage. I ended up mobi version instead that it does not allow me to zoom anymore. However, Elsevier store website still offers PDF version for both editions of that book. That's why I prefer PDF version over MOBI version and I will order PDF version for both books (1st and 2nd editions) soon. Rated 1 star.

Also I have print book and reviewed book. That is very good information for ray-tracing programming but it is not for beginners. It requires knowledge of Calculus and Linear Algebra. I researched about that and found some interesting articles like realistic camera lens that uses complex mathematics to render everything as if real camera take photos. I am so impressed. Some day I will learn how to write a program to simulate real camera lens. Rated 5 stars.

Overall ratings: 3 stars.
on March 18, 2016
A must have book. Fullstop. The kindle version is so-so, poor rendering (...) of the equation.
on August 28, 2010
ok, I should not repeat what people already said about the first edition - this book is definitely great, outstanding, and it covers both theory and implementation indeed
I also will not repeat what you can find in th preface - thanks to editor you can preview the book and find what it is about and how it differs from the first edition. The preview also contains three chapters, it is more than enough to give you an understanding what kind of book is it. So, please, no this "I whant to render nice pictures, and this book is full of formulas and program code" comments.

No CDs included, because the renderer source code is available on the book web site (mentioned in the introductory chapter)

I just whant to add something to "About the Authors" because things about them changed more than a little bit, and because you could not find this information here.
(from the back-cover)

Matt Pharr co-founded both Exluna (acquired by NVIDIA) and Neoptica (acquired by Intel), and has also worked in Pixar's Rendering R&D group.
Greg Humphreys is the software lead for the OptiX ray tracing engine at NVIDIA [OptiX is GPU-accelerated rt toolkit, you can find it on NVIDIA developer site - V.I.]

So, as you can see, the authors are trustworthy, at least in this area :).
on October 10, 2013
Very complete book, covers all major aspects of the subject. Although I was expecting to have more "real-time oriented" matter.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 4, 2015
It is a decent book, but I don't particularly like the style. The code is a major feature of the book, but I don't think it adds much beyond the information provided in the prose. I also found the code to be too fragmented into tiny snippets with tons of references between snippets. The authors assume that snippets no longer than 7 lines helps understanding, but I find that scattering a logically contiguous piece of code across a chapter makes it harder to understand.
on August 26, 2013
I have spent a good portion of my career using software that performs physics based image rendering.
Now I get to learn it at a much lower level.
This will be a fun journey.
on March 27, 2015