- Pre-order Price Guarantee! Order now and if the Amazon.com price decreases between your order time and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price. Here's how (restrictions apply)
The Piano Teacher The Criterion Collection
Special Edition, Criterion Collection
|Additional Blu-ray options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
(Sep 26, 2017)
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Special offers and product promotions
Academy Award winning Austrian director Michael Haneke shifted his focus from the social to the psychological for this riveting study of female sexuality and the dynamics of control, an adaptation of a controversial 1983 novel by Elfriede Jelinek. Haneke finds his match in Isabelle Huppert, who delivers an icy but quietly seething performance as Erika, a middle-aged piano professor at a Viennese conservatory who lives with her mother, in a claustrophobically codependent relationship. Severely repressed, she satisfies her masochistic urges only voyeuristically until she meets Walter (Benoit Magimel), a young student whose desire for Erika leads to a destructive infatuation that upsets the careful equilibrium of her life. A critical breakthrough for Haneke, The Piano Teacher which won the Grand Prix as well as dual acting awards for its stars at Cannes is a formalist masterwork that remains a shocking sensation.
DIRECTOR-APPROVED BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
- New, restored 2K digital transfer, supervised by director Michael Haneke, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
- New interview with Haneke
- New interview with actor Isabelle Huppert
- Selected-scene commentary from 2002 featuring Huppert
- Behind-the-scenes footage of a postsync session for the film featuring Haneke and Huppert
- New English subtitle translation
- PLUS: An essay by scholar Moira Weigel
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
This film means to shock and it does. In the midst of a world of art, lurks demons of desire and perversity.
A film still talked about after all these years. Amour, The White Ribbon, Cache..see them all. Life without the horror of sentiment and surface religious cliches.
The Piano teacher..one marvelous scene after another!
I still can't stop thinking about this film, however I don't think that I could recommend it, either. Watch if you must.
Trust your own judgement. If you don't like the plot, the music is beautiful and they use great musicians.
Most recent customer reviews
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Art House & International > By Original Language > French
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray > Movies
- Movies & TV > Criterion Collection > All
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > DTS
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Foreign Films
- Movies & TV > Movies