- Buy 2 or more Masontops products and save 5% on your order! Here's how (restrictions apply)
Pickle Pebbles - Glass Fermentation Weights for Small-Batch Mason Jar Fermentation - Standard Size (4 Pack)
Get free shipping
Free 5-8 business-day shipping within the U.S. when you order $25 of eligible items sold or fulfilled by Amazon.
Or get 4-5 business-day shipping on this item for $6.52. (Prices may vary for AK and HI.)Learn more about free shipping
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime.
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Handmade Glass Fermentation Weights for Mason Canning Jars
- Food-Safe, Lead-Free and Non-Porous Glass Ferment Weights - Made From Pure Soda-Lime Glass (same material used to make Ball, Kerr and Bernardin Mason Jars)
- Specifically Designed to keep vegetables submerged below the brine and prevent mold in small batch lacto fermentation
- Dimensions: 2 1/4 " Diameter x 1/2 " Thick
- Includes 4 Glass Fermentation Weights and Secure Gift/Storage Box
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Make it more than a Mason jar with Masontops.
Pickle Pebbles are specifically designed for mason jar fermentation and will fit perfectly in any wide mouth mason jar. Pickle Pebbles take the guesswork out of your lacto fermentation by ensuring your veggies stay below the surface of the brine thereby eliminating exposure to oxygen (which is the main cause of failure when using lacto fermentation methods).
Perfect Fit - Thick and Heavy
Pickle Pebbles are wide enough to cover your fermenting veggies, and perfectly sized to get in and out of your jar with ease. Pickle Pebbles are 50% heavier than similar weights, so they are heavy enough that one is enough to keep everything submerged below the brine.
Pure Molded Soda-Lime Glass
Pickle Pebbles are made of non-iridized soda glass which is completely inert and ensures that no other substances leach into your ferment. We make our fermentation weights from the same type of glass as Ball, Kerr and Bernardin mason jar brands. Each Pickle Pebble is molded individually, unlike other weights, which are cut from sheets of optical window glass - these products often have a green tint and/or a frosted cut edge.
Best-Quality, Independently Tested
Pickle Pebbles are individually inspected to ensure the highest possible quality. Lead-free tests have been performed by SGS North America to ensure Pickle Pebbles meet the highest safety standards. We would be pleased to supply a copy of this report at your request.
HOW to use?
- Pack veggies and brine into Mason jar with 1.75” headspace
- Place Pickle Pebble into mouth of Mason jar; ensure it's slightly submerged
- Remove any food that floats to the surface
- Top off the jar with your chosen airlock or lid
- The Pickle Pebble will keep your veggies submerged and safe below the brine
WHY to use?
- Exposure to oxygen causes mold; Pickle Pebbles eliminate this risk by weighting food below brine
- Pickle Pebbles save time and money by preventing spoilage
- Pickle Pebble glass weights are specifically designed for Mason jars
- They are made of food-safe soda lime glass
The Masontops Difference
Tested & Trusted.
All Masontops products are made of top quality, food-grade materials and undergo rigorous testing and certification. We will always stand behind our products and our customers.
Whether a beginner or expert fermenter, our free digital guide provides useful information, professional tips and step-by-step recipes. We’re here to support you every step of the way.
One Stop Shop.
Even if you only need glass weights or an entire fermentation setup, we’ve got you covered with a complete line of award-winning products.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
The first time I used them I was weighting down two jars of sauerkraut. One jar was just fine, but in the other a shard of glass about 3/4 of an inch long and about 1/8 of an inch wide cracked off the weight and ended up in the sauerkraut itself. I discovered this the hard way when I bit down on a fork full of food and felt an unexpected crunch as the glass broke between my molars (but thankfully didn't pierce any skin). I actually wasn't even mad at the time; every company has a bad unit here and there, and luckily the shard didn't hurt me. I threw out the broken weight and glass-contaminated sauerkraut and moved on.
Fast forward to tonight: I just opened another jar of sauerkraut I've been fermenting for about a month, only to discover the weight I had in the jar had literally cracked in half. That's right, there were two separate, about equal-sized pieces of glass that came out of my jar. Another batch ruined.
Now that two weights have independently broken and got glass in two separate batches of food, I'm ready to believe this is just a terrible product, made with a minimum of quality control, that I was unfortunate enough to purchase.
To address a few common possible causes:
* The sauerkraut was fermenting at room temperature and was not subject to large temperature fluctuations
* The weights were stored in their original packaging, inside the protective foam, when not being used
* The weights were never dropped or otherwise mishandled, and were only hand washed.
There is no logical explanation for two of the four weights to independently break during normal use, so I have to conclude this is just an extremely poor product. I heavily dissuade literally anyone from purchasing these for any use.
I don't know the cost of material that goes into making these products, but they seem pretty expensive for what they are (glass disks). I guess that is the price of enjoying a hipster approved hobby.
Most recent customer reviews
But when it is time to remove weight, good luck.Read more