Customer Reviews: Picnic
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 $25 Back with $50 Purchase Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Cycling on Amazon

Format: Hardcover|Change

on July 26, 2005
The original edition of this book was wordless, allowing a child and grownup to explore and discuss all the little details together. While it's nice that the author and publisher decided to publish this book in a slightly larger format, so that it was available for a new audience (and libraries could replace their well-loved copies), the addition of text makes the experience of the story so much more limited. They should at least label it clearly, and make both versions available.
on March 27, 2000
This book is a good book to use to encourage children to make up their own story using the illustrations. The book has very simple illustrations that will not confuse the child. This book is fun for children because the characters are mice that go on a picnic. Another good wordless picture book is First Snow written by the same author. It also has some great illustrations that are easy for children to understand to create their own story.
on August 26, 2016
Accidentally ordered the new edition with words. Ugh. Missing the whole point. Who are these people who can't follow the story? My bad I guess not reading the description. Will now scour the web until I find the original. Extremely disappointed.
on June 21, 2013
I found this book in the library a few years ago and later bought it because all of my children loved it. It's a simple story: Grandma and grandpa take their many grandkids for a picnic. Little Bitty falls off the truck and gets lost until everyone figures it out and comes to get her. That's all, but the illustrations really make this book. The details are charming and intriguing. My kids were engrossed by the truck ride, the food at the picnic, the different reactions depicted in the mice when they find out what happened. I also noticed that the story of how the mouse is lost really speaks to them. It's a situation kids identify with, especially following the drama of the scary feelings turning into the relief and happiness when the mouse is found.
The book barely has text which is an advantage because every time we read it we could change it up a bit. The kids also loved to linger and explore the drawings. I highly recommend Emily Arnold Mccully's books.
on March 12, 2013
Buy this book Immediately! A wonderful family story for all to enjoy! Wonderful for the imagination. It's one of our family favorites!
"Energetic line drawings" and "lush watercolors"? Are we talking about the same book?

This is a nice book, but I wouldn't say that either of the above descriptions accurately portray the artwork of Ms. McCully in "Picnic". But you can come to your own conclusions based on the front cover and the 'look inside'.

Also, I would disagree with the suggested age range. My daughter (5) is lukewarm about the story where as my son (just turned 3) has asked me to read it over and over.

Three to Four Stars. Nice pictures. Very little text (text is in cursive so beginning readers won't be able to read it easily). A cute book for the 5 and under set, though nothing spectacular.
on May 14, 2013
I don't like the addition of words in this most recent editon. I used this book for years with my kindergarten students to build story telling skills. I lost my original book and bought this replacement. It was much better sitting with the children and having them create the story themselves.
on September 25, 2014
This is a cute story...nice way of reminding little ones to "buckle up" and "hold on" when in a crowd.