Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 11-20 of 74 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 81 reviews
on October 23, 2014
An excellent exposition of our emerging ability to study and comprehend the nature and functioning of the brain. It deftly integrates a wide variety of behavioral phenomenon through the lens of advances in neuroscience, and does so in a concise, thought provoking and clearly understandable narrative. A must read for anyone interested in what processes might be shaping their thinking, emotions and even sense of "self."
on June 21, 2013
I really enjoyed the first part of this book. However, the second half fell into political discussion, and it was terribly distressing to learn that there is a group of "experts" making decisions about how violence is going to be treated in the legal system. Just what we don't need - more "experts" experimenting with society.
on May 26, 2013
I really enjoyed this book. It was very hopeful to me, as I know many people suffering from problems such as depression and other mental illnesses. The research is accelerating at such a rapid pace, that I believe many people in my lifetime will benefit greatly. I would not purchase this book on a regular Kindle. I felt deprived of the color-coded pictures. Also, it's a very long book, and I would just rather turn the pages, so I could get a better feel of where I was in the book.
on January 1, 2014
I was hoping this was give me some insight to my MS. Disappointed I didn't learn anything new. The brain is a miracle in itself.
on May 19, 2013
Having a medical background, I always look for updated research. This book compiles the latest in research and is presented in an easy, readable manner.
One drawback I did not anticipate was the fact that I read it on my tablet. I discovered that I would prefer it in a paper book. I believe it would be easier to look back at information and also to see the photos and graphs better in a paper book.
All in all a good book with important information for everyone.
on June 24, 2013
I downloaded this book since my daughter was hit by a car and has some brain damage. It is very informative and helps you to understand how the brain works and that there is hope for unknown reasons why some people recover brain injuries and others do not. I am one of the lucky ones as my daughter has overcome most of her injury, but we still have a long way to go.
on April 15, 2011
Besides educating the lay reader on the different ways the physical brain functions, as well as it's plasticity, it also explores relevant, related topics such as the culpability of criminals whose physical brains predispose them towards poor judgment and/or lack of empathy. This book brings the implications hard sciences makes on social sciences right parallel against each other for an interesting and informative read; even the unlikely issues of identity and religion make an appearance. The ideas put out in this book will influence the way we think about people, identity, and society.
on April 19, 2012
Very lucid and interesting description, of recent advances in the understanding of how our brains work or fail to. Without overburdening us with technical jargon, a clear picture emerges of how today's cutting-edge neuroscientists are unlocking the secrets of the most fascinating and important subject, how does our mind work our how does it fail.
I recommend this book to all those who want a pleasurable stroll through this fascinating subject and understand where science is and research will be going.
on March 20, 2014
Enjoyable and precise prose from a person with a background in physics, appreciated by one with a background in biology, chemistry and psychology...extremely warm and readable...all topics useful and interesting, but especially for me: hints re acquainting oneself with and starting to use meditation! As Star Trek's Spock would say, "Fascinating!"
on September 11, 2013
It's ok but I didn't finish it. I do t think I could get into it. I might re visit it again one day