LED Pen, the Pilot's Pen, LED Powered Ink Penlight Night Writer
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- See where you write at night! Ideal for anyone who needs illumination when writing - pilots, flight crews, doctors, nurses, police, military...
- Aircraft aluminum housing with push button on/off LED lighting and rotating top cap for pen retraction.
- Uses one common AAA cell for up to 20 hours of illumination
- Gift box packaged with an extra black ink cartridge and extra AAA cell (replacement ink is available through us on Amazon - visit our WebStore)
- Comes equipped with a red-color tip for aviation users seeking to preserve their night vision while using the Pen.
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers also shopped for
Finally, a high-quality writing instrument that illuminates where you write. The Pilot's Pen, originally sold to the aviation industry, is the world's first LED pen that illuminates where you write and uses a single, common AAA cell. The pen comes packaged with a spare AAA battery and ink cartridge (one blue and one black ink). The Pen's powerful LEDs are rated at 100,000 hours of life and a battery will provide at least 20 hours of illumination. The pen's body is made from black anodized aluminum for durability and has a series of ridges built-in for better control when writing. Operation is easy - press the top button to turn illumination on or off and rotate the top cap to retract or extend the pen's ink cartridge tip. Included in the gift box is a spare red and green transparent tip for use by pilots and aviation users seeking to preserve their night vision while using the Pen. It's safe to carry in shirt pockets and easy to use anywhere or anytime - day or night. Thousands in use worldwide by aviation professionals, US Special Forces, Army Rangers, NATO, first responders, academics, creative arts professionals, night shift workers, hobbiests and many more satisfied users. Lifetime Guarantee - if it ever fails to work, we'll replace it (battery and ink not covered, of course). Makes a great gift.
Top customer reviews
I purchased 20 of these pens for all med crews and pilots that work at my base as a Christmas present since we do a lot of writing in low light or no light conditions.
The light is very good and illuminates the Hobbs meter when I need to write down my Hobbs times and my aircraft data. It uses a AAA battery which is easy to find and keep on hand.
The problems we have had:
1) The pen itself skips a lot. You have to really work it to make it write and when it does write it skips. I had to really work it on a piece of paper to get the ink flowing, so the company needs to develope a pen stylus that lets the ink flow smoothly. I've tried several refill cartridges and they all do the same think. It writes better when used on a hard surface, however, much of our writing is done on medical tape that has been taped to our knees. The softness of this type writing surface probably keeps the hard tip from letting the ink flow. It would be nice if the pen could come with a soft tip or felt tip.
2.)The light is turned on by pushing down the button at the top of the pen. That's great, however, to get the ink pen down you have to twist the top of the pushdown button to extend the writing point. This is inconvenient when the nurses are in a hurry writing down vital signs, medications, etc. or in my case writing down distances, weights, clearances and engine data. I have started leaving the pen head rolled down while I'm on duty so that it will be ready to write when I push down the light button. The only problem with this is that the pen itself tends to dry out and you have to go through the break in again to get it to write.
3.) This pen is a little pricy for the quality of the ink cartridge.
With the exception of the above mentioned complaints, the pen is very handy to have on board. Each pen was delivered with a nice case and an additional refill. Some are blue while others are black. If you require black ink you should probably call the order in and specify black ink cartridges to the company. They were nice enough to send me about 40 extra refills, I guess because I bought so many.
While the LED lighting works great, and the pen is very functional, I would however, like to find a similar product with a lot better writing quality.
This pen is bulky, the ink does not flow smoothly even with a replacement cartridge, the LED is too bright when you fly at night (definitely not a good thing for night vision on a dark cockpit), the rotating mechanism for pen retraction is absolutely user-unfriendly especially if you fly without autopilot (come on designers... It is so much more intuitive to push the cap to extend/retract the pen than to use that function to turn on/off an LED light...).
Again, this is not a user-friendly pen for pilots, I'll either throw it in the trash or give it away to someone who may not mind all those flaws...
I called Robert, finding him immediately, and chatted about the issues. His response was kind, concerned, and delightful -- offering to send along two new pens at no charge. We would send the other ones back for him to check out, via his pre-paid mail pouch.
Doesn't get any better or easier than that!
A few days later, as promised, the two replacement pens (refills too) arrived, both working nicely. If there's a problem with either, will keep BrittaProducts and Amazon posted. Much thanks again for being "on it", and proactive. That means alot, and is also worth alot these days.
I'm delighted to give 5 or more stars to BrittaProducts... and for now 4 stars for the pens. Alby
1. The led light is super bright and doesn't appear to rely on the ink cartridge to carry the electrical charge.
2. The ability to turn on and off the led light is independent from the pen.
3. The pen is retractable and the ink is easily replaceable.
4. It uses the widely available AAA battery - a few of which you probably have a few sitting around the house.
5. The metal clip is well made and surprisingly compact.
6. The footprint of the pen is also compact.
If you are looking for a pen/led combo, I highly recommend this one.
Most recent customer reviews
I've not found the perfect light pen.