Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

Pimps Up, Ho's Down: Hip Hop's Hold on Young Black Women
Format: Paperback|Change

on November 7, 2013
The author repeated the same information too many times throughout the book. This book was a hard read because my attention wasn't captured.
on July 9, 2013
I had to read this for a class and that is the only reason I gave it 2 stars. Would not recommend unless you have to read it.
on September 17, 2009
There were one or two chapters that were interesting but the information and chapters did not flow.
on November 24, 2010
I think this book is an excellent introduction for readers like myself who have little experience or knowledge of hip hop feminism or black intellectuals. The book has a clear writing style with tons of references to other writers and academics. Readers who are not new to these topics may find the book a bit elementary for them.

I question the use of some of the studies the writer used as proof of certain trends--I did not follow up and read the studies, but they didn't seem to be relevant. For example, she used an HIV study to show the effects of hip hop on young women-or the consumption habits of young women- I can't remember.

I wanted to know why women, and the author, continue to support the hip hop industry. The book did not provide an answer.

Ultimately, I was left with more questions than answers--which I don't think is a bad thing, I just wonder what the author wanted me to take away from this work.
on June 10, 2008
This work of T. Denean Sharpley-Whiting is an interesting dialogue on the effects of hip-hop culture on the lives of young black women. The book is a well-researched back-story on visual stimulation and power women's bodies have in hip-hop culture. The book focuses on the bodies of women as they are portrayed in videos, films, Internet, and strip clubs. It offers new thoughts to women's sexuality, pleasure, beauty, and labor outside a conservative space. The contribution of hip hop is important as it reveals motivations towards body, sex, and the realms of abuse and control. There are great facts and great resources to anyone interested in contributing to the conversation of the future of hip-hop and women.

Where I begin to struggle with this book is when it focuses solely on the images of women and offering no solutions or suggestions on what can be done to help motivate change. It left me with questions of what can we do to help change future generations perception of the body, feminism/womanism, and hip-hop. I had a hard time believing that nothing could be done and that the future of hip hop would still be dominated by images of women rather than other entities such as voice, activism, or political motivation. I was hoping that there would be some motivation towards change rather than just facts.
on May 7, 2007
Sharpley-Whiting's accessible prose style and unique insight make this a must for anyone interested in popular culture, hip hop and rap, women's issues, Black popular culture, and youth. In all my years researching the topics of rap music, hip hop culture, gender and violence, I have never encountered such a unique and much needed approach. While much has been said about the sexist and homophobic nature of rap lyrics, very little has been done to understand how our sexually repressive, yet permissive, society including rap music has negatively affected Black girls and women. Sharpley-Whiting tackles this issue from a variety of angles demonstrating how the misogyny and sexual obsession in rap music impacts girls' and women's sense of self, how sex and rendering women as sexual objects in rap music affects Black women erotic dancers, video dancers, and groupies, and related topics.
on March 22, 2007
Dr. Sharpley-Whiting has contributed a necessary and extremely timely analysis to the surface-level discussions surrounding hip hop and its impact on young black women. The exploration of complex contradictions within hip hop music and culture is both scholarly and sincere. This book is a necessary read, as it departs from the easy criticism of lyrics to the difficult and largely un-had conversations regarding sexual abuse, constructions of beauty, and the relationship between hip hop and the flourishing sex tourism industry. I learned about the prophetic warnings and relevance of Franz Fanon, I laughed about the similar and stark realities I share with the writer, and I learned, once again, that I love and am hip hop--contradictions and all!