Industrial Deals Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on October 18, 2016
Bought this book 7 years ago and lost it. bought it again and i love it just the same. This was my first SJ book. she's the best. love them all!
on August 11, 2011
I love everything that Susan Johnson has wrote & if you like erotic romance you will too! She writes what real people feel and do. It is like you are in her book. I recommend this for those how do like erotica and look forward to many more books of hers to read. I need new ones because I have read all her books thus far & look forward to the future ones!
on November 2, 2013
Actually, I first bought this book several years ago and re-read it until it fell apart. It's one of my favorites by Susan Johnson. I couldn't find it in the store, so I was glad when I saw it on your website
on July 26, 2004
I loved this book b/c it's not like any other romance I've read. The heroine is as casual about sex as the typical romance hero. Not a virgin in site...how nice:)
5 helpful votes
6 helpful votes
on July 16, 2006
I don't read many "romance novels," but this was different from the stereotypical Fabio-sweeps-her-off-her-feet kind of story I envisioned. I picked this up at Bargain Books on a whim and read the whole thing in a day. Needless to say, it's a quick, brainless read.

Whether or not you enjoy this book depends on your reasons for reading it. If you want serious literature with glittering descriptions and deep thematic implications, this is obviously not the book. If you want morals or virtuous characters of any kind, again, not the book. But if you're bored or lonely and looking for something steamy that keeps the pages turning quickly, featuring Sex-and-the-City-esque characters you can become somewhat but not overly attached to, _Hot Pink_ is a good choice.

The author includes many pretty graphic sex scenes that are probably effective if you have a liking for such things. Her language of the sex act itself is pretty hokey, as can be expected, but it didn't embarrass me too badly, though I wouldn't want my mom catching me reading it or anything.

Rocco is pretty sexy if you can get over his silly name. Chloe is artsy, carefree, and extremely easy. Both are generally unbelievable (I mean, they give it up in the first 5 minutes). The rest of the characters don't matter much. Parts that bothered me about the book include Amy's over-the-top annoyingness, and Chloe's assumption of Rocco being a liar even though he wasn't. She sure treated him mean when all he wanted was, you know, her heart.

Chloe's slutty demeanor is forgivable because this is a story. We readers aren't like that, but it's exciting to imagine the lifestyle. That's what this kind of book is for, isn't it?

I'd probably give it 2.5 stars, but 3 is still fair. Overall, this is a sexy, easy to read book. Forgettable, but entertaining.
3 helpful votes
on July 4, 2004
I have read through the reviews here and I am a bit surprised at some of the vehemence on display.
Hot Pink is not that bad, albeit it is a bit unbelievable.
Chloe and Rocco meet, hook up for a one night stand, and a couple of weeks later fall in love. But, during their two week escapade they have quite a few snags to get over. The first being Rocco's girlfriend...whose not quite a girlfriend, some arm wrestling, and the trials of trying to start a business. Yet, in the end, love does conqueror all...of course.
I, personally, found the book to be witty and well written. I laughed out loud at some of Chloe's comments, and overal SJ did a good job of making her somewhat believable. Rocco, who is described as drop dead gorgeous, was a little harder to buy, but it's not so bad that he is way out there in left field. It's definitely Sex in the City-ish, complete with the duo of companionable friends and liberated sexual views. Overall, it was a good book to take to the beach and read. Plus, the cover is cool. I don't know if that counts for anything, but it helped.
I did have one major problem with the book though. When Chloe and Rocco first hook up they don't use a condom. Now, IMHO, that is absolutely nutty especially since at the time they hadn't known each other but five minutes. But, I am not such a prude to let it sway me from the book, or let it raise my moral hackles to the point of outrage. It's a book of fiction...not a guide to life. Yet, they continue having sex without a condom, and except for one very small thought from Rocco nothing else about birth control is mentioned. I just found that way wierd. And, I feel like something should have been mentioned. Not doing so was a huge oversight.
But, aside from that...the read was pleasant. Try it out for yourself...you might like it.
11 comment|Report abuse
on June 9, 2004
After reading several of Susan Johnson's previous books, I find it hard to believe she wrote this one. The writing is TERRIBLE. The sex scenes are flat but she uses all the course words and the dialog is just painful. At one point, the guy (named Rocco of all things) wonders what his girl is doing. Susan Johnson actually writes "Here's what happened..." I have read college papers that were better than this book!!! Please save your money and by something else.
VINE VOICEon July 29, 2007
Ye gads, I was afraid to write a review for this book. It seems readers are gettng mighty personal about other people's reviews and opinions!

Now IMO, this book was okay-ish. I got it on sale at Borders so I can't complain. Amy was actually the most fleshed out character in the book. And she was a freaking pyscho. I got a sorta Sex and the City vibe with Chloe reminding me of Carrie and I was starting the HATE Carrie by the show end.

There was nothing in Rocco's and Chloe's relationship that made think they had a real relationship. Conversations while orgasming doesn't count. Well they did have that one conversation where they found out they liked baseball!

Hmm what else...Chloe's friends were annoying (IMO jeez !) I didn't think the erotic scenes were all that hot (does that make me a heathen of some sort ?! lol)

I read another review that mentioned the lack of explanation for the pink hair. I found that lacking as well. This was the first SJ contemporary I read, and I was wondering why it was entitled 'Hot Pink' , and then saw the heroine had pink hair, and I was like 'what the hell? pink hair?!' I kept imagining her with tinted pink hair like a geriatric old lady.
on July 6, 2003
While Susan Johnson is known for her steamy sex scenes, this one relies a little too heavily on them to keep the reader's interest. As an added negative, the scenes found in this book are a little less steamy and not as entertaining as her earlier novels. The plot also lacks the interesting historical ties that she added to her other novels. In fact, pink's plot is so cursory over details that you never really get a feel for the characters or understand their motives. The "fiancé" gives up a little too easily. The two protagonists fall in love for no apparent reason other than some gut attraction. While the main characters seem like they are in-depth enough to be side characters in other novels, the supporting characters read like cardboard cutouts. Weird, out-of-place, completely useless cardboard cutouts. Best of all, the main character feels like a lush that the author switches between a free, independent women and a self-help addict. Overall it's a decent read that should have been fleshed out a lot more. Not really worth it for the [money] paperback version but an ok read if they reprint it for [less].
8 helpful votes
9 helpful votes
on July 27, 2003
I have been a huge fan of Ms. Johnson and her historical romances. They have always been page turners for me with just the right amount of sensuality and storyline. I was thrilled to find out that she was going to pen a modern day romance so I quickly preordered it from Amazon and patiently waited for it to be delivered to my box. I was so sorry to find out that this book had no redeeming qualities! NONE!
First off as other reviewers have stated the main characters Chloe and Rocco were pathetic. Where was the attraction, the honesty, the relationship? And if Chloe was sooooo attracted to Rocco why does she run off and start a fling with Colin the bartender? And don't get me started on Rocco or Amy the witch!
Personally I was totally confused as to how Rocco and Chloe ended up together and a lot was left unsaid or unasked as far as getting to know each other. Why did Chloe have pink hair? What besides having and enjoying sex did these two people have in common? NOTHING! I'm sorry I like my characters to be real, but at the same time when I read romance I want it to be reasonable as to why the characters are together. Sex does not keep a relationship together and outside of bed neither of these two people seemed to even like each other.
Do yourself a favor and borrow this book from a friend or the library or buy it second hand.
19 helpful votes