Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pinnacle Studio 16
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Joseph Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Shop Now

Format: CD-ROM|Change

on April 27, 2013
I have used Pinnacle Studio products for several years. Generally, I have been satisfied with the programs, and, have purchased several versions to keep up to date. I purchased the latest version (Pinnacle 16) and the installation went smoothly. On using the product I found the user interface had changed and not for the better. It is much more difficult to use. The program crashes frequently. It does not handle several clips well. I have found it impossible to get an product support. I would no longer recommend Pinnacle as a video editing tool. In my opinion the program has gotten worse rather than better with the latest version.
on December 2, 2012
I am an amateur video maker and likely should have gone with a more basic program. I LOVED the windows DVD maker program when I had windows 7, it was perfect for my needs and very easy to use - plus it was free! Unfortunately when I bought my new laptop I discovered that the DVD maker portion of the DVD program was now only available for purchase. I figured if I had to pay forint anyway, why not try something new? I was hoping to get a bit more fancy and be able to do more editing features. This program appears that has all editing capabilities, but it is not intuitive to use. I will have to do some research on how to do all the features, even simple ones. My biggest disappointment is the quality of the transition and add-on graphics. One of the biggest reasons for me purchasing software was to indulge on fun, fancy transition and graphic slides, including nice title pages. The graphics on the program are pixilated and fake - they remind me of a 1990 computer game. Very disappointed by this!
99 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 7, 2013
I got this software for $20 at the time and it has been well worth the money! I use it for some of my editing, but it does crash a lot, especially if you are working on HD videos that are longer than 5 min. Also, the software has a bug with the titling screen. If you don't insert anything for the Title part of the software. It keeps the please enter title on the video,even when visually it doesn't appear on the timeline.
on January 17, 2013
My history with Pinnacle is an uneasy alliance. I have to get some video work done, and I need to go carefully through the project so I know when and where the error messages come into play, and can work around them. When Pinnacle has no issues, works great. Also, be aware of the push for purchasing more filters, effects, etc. within the program.
on June 29, 2013
I always hold my breath when I start a project and hope it doesn't crash. It is finicky. I don't really care for the library feature which keeps all video files cataloged and available. I had some problems that I referred to support and seemed to be resolved for now.
on February 23, 2013
I used Pinnacle Studio 14 for editing videos for years and was happy with the results. I bought a new computer that uses Windows 8 and decided to buy the pinnacle Studio 16 plus. I am converting VHS tapes to digital DVD's. The file I am trying to import was made on a JVC DVD/VHS player/recorder. The file I import has the video but cuts off the sound after one minute. I used the same files and imported them into Pinnacle 14 on my old computer that is running on XL. They imported with no trouble. I have tried several fixes recommended by technical support that not helped. In the time I have spent trying to fix the problem, I could have imported and edited several videos.
on December 21, 2013
It states in the catalog that this product works on Windows 8 / 7 / Vista / XP platforms and when I tried to install it just now, it tells me that it can only be installed on Vista or windows 7, I have windows XP. I tried to follow the process to get it replaced and Amazon site tells me I've left it too long. Well I'm sorry for taking too long I have a life!

I bought it with the understanding that it would install on Windows XP. To send me a copy that will only install on Vista or Windows 7 is misrepresentation. I would like this copy replaced with one that installs on XP.

This should be ZERO stars for Amazon.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2013
My old Pinnacle software wouldn't work with my Windows 7 desktop, and the size of the files from my new digital camcorder was simply too much for the video card in my XP laptop to handle.

After researching many different products, and downloading a trial version of several, I ended up going back to Pinnacle Studio 16. I really don't want all the bells and whistles, just intuitive editing and great on-line support via tutorials and message boards. I found that the most basic version of Studio 16 fit the bill perfectly.

Only problem I encountered was installing the full version and having it be recognized as the trial version I had uninstalled. Luckily I had already encountered this problem in one of the on-line reviews of the product and knew how to circumvent it. The software has worked flawlessly since.

Would not recommend this basic version for those interested in really high-tech editing. For simple home videos to be viewed on a big screen TV by family only, this works great. A few special effects, transitions, music, and titles is all I need, and Studio 16 provides them all.

ADDENDUM:

Turns out the basic version is just too basic, even for simple editing. I didn't realize this until I began to put together the video from my vacation this summer. The basic version is missing several functions that one might assume would be standard. The most glaring omission is the ability to "lock" one or more of the tracks while working on another. But there are many more, too numerous to mention.

There is no way to "upgrade" to one of the "premium editions" so I bit the bullet, wrote off the money I spent on this cheap version as a lesson learned, and shelled out the cash for the Ultimate version. Now THAT is one nice software package (see my review under it). Has everything you need and more.

Had significant problems with installation, though, and their "support" is a downright joke. But I will outline that in the review under "Ultimate". In retrospect, I really can't recommend this version of the software. If you need something that basic, Windows Movie Maker would probably suffice.

FYI: the trial version you download is actually the "middle" version of the software. It did allow locking of the tracks, and many of the other "premium" features, so I was led astray by using the trial version. Also, the table comparing the three versions (which Amazon gets from the manufacturer) is more than a little deceptive. If it truly listed all of the features included on the premium versions and missing on the basic one, I doubt anyone would buy the cheaper software. Perhaps that is their plan all along . . .
on February 25, 2013
I purchased this product at the recommendation of a friend to replace the Roxio product I had been using. The older Roxio product was not compatible with my new Windows 8 computer. Pinnacle Studio is not user friendly and not intuitive. After much struggling I managed to edit one movie. When I attempted to burn it to a disk I got an "unknown error" message. I replaced the DVD and tried again, and again got the same result. On the third attempt the disk completed but when I attempted to play it in my DVD player it would not play. Save your money.
on November 19, 2013
I had an earlier version of Pinnacle. This meets my needs for simple editing. I have not figured out how to do much with audio, other than change the level for the entire segment. Sound overlapping the cut looks like it is doable, but fade up and down, I don't think so.