Lyft Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon counterpart counterpart counterpart  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on September 20, 2016
This is not a paid review, and I just wanted to share my experience. I purchased this radio and installed it the same day. The first thing I noticed was how great it sounded even through my factory speakers. I'm not entirely down on the radio, and I'm sure if I wanted to use this radio its just fine. The lighting scheme seems nice, but I don't really care about that. It instantly paired with my meta access steering wheel control adapter. I mean, its a nice radio, but the bluetooth isnt working. If you are buying this radio because of the bluetooth hands free phone capabilities (like me), keep looking. I can explain, so let my pain save you time and money. There is a common issue with these radios where the bluetooth circuit is bad right out of the box (check crutchfield) for "Error 10" with these radios. I am only reviewing the radio here but I should mention Pioneer's customer service as well.

The Pioneer customer service didn't even try to help me, they asked me if I purchased it from an authorized seller. I told them Amazon, and they were interested to hear who the seller on amazon was. I told the customer service folk's which store sold me the radio, and it turns out that they are not on the authorized seller list at Pioneer. That fact renders the warranty null and void, so I can neither get it fixed, nor get it replaced.

I will conclude this by mentioning that Its not a bad radio for 40 bucks cheaper if the bluetooth is going to be funky. But for my 110 dollars it is not a good radio. The radio doesn't live up to the expectations listed on the box, and I didn't get what I paid for. So I gave a three star review and it can potentially be upgraded if; firmware updates can fix my bluetooth issues, the seller offers to send me a tested unit which is guaranteed to work, or I get a reasonable amount knocked off of the original price.

I am currently in email conversation with the seller, and I will not mention their name here until I see how they handle this issue. But you can bet I will be back to let everyone know who it is, and whether or not they helped me remedy this situation.
on July 27, 2015
I have been using this head unit for almost 3 years now, and have not had a single issue with it. Bluetooth pairs to my phone right when i turn on the car and stays connected the whole time I have the car on. The microphone for using the bluetooh calling feature is super nice since you can move it to wherever you want on the car, I have mine on the steering column right behind the wheel and nobody has complained about the quality of hearing me when on the phone. The other inputs; aux, USB (iphone/android/usb drive), CD and radio all work perfectly. Although between the USB and bluetooth options I really dont use the radio tuner or AUX, but it is still nice to have them in a pinch. I replaced and Alpine unit with this to get the bluetooth function and it was worth it just for that alone, not to mention it looks much better and has many more options for color matching to the dash colors of cars
on January 7, 2014
The sound quality is pretty good. In cold weather the display is slow to respond. On sunny days or with a convertible or a sun roof it is impossible to read. When ever it is on, no matter the mode, it puts the antenna up. When in ipod mode, if you turn pandora on on your phone it locks you out and you can only navigate pandora from the radio unless you unplug the phone and go though wireless, its kind of a pain if you want to add stations or if you would rather use the phone interface. Every now and then when I turn my car on it wipes all of its memory and I have to reset all the setting. At night it is too bright in any setting but red and it doesnt dim much when in dim mode. It also doesnt dim with your headlights, you have to dim it by hand.
on October 8, 2013
A few years ago my car CD player began to malfunction, and this year it finally bit the dust entirely. So, after doing basically no research I did Amazon roulette and this is what I decided to try out. As luck would have it, it's a great device.

First and foremost, it plays CDs like a dream. I'm a man who loves to own physical media, so this is fantastic. Be it a legitimate CD release or a mix cd I burned, this works perfectly. Secondly, it's ability to integrate with an iPod is beautiful. Now I can plug in my iPod classic, and have my entire music collection in my car while I'm on the go. Podcasts that I used to listen to with headphones are now loud and clear through my car speakers.

One of my favorite features, however, is one that I had not looked for nor had I anticipated. It syncs with my smartphone via bluetooh, and acts as a hands free device. Say I'm listening to music, if I get a phonecall the device will begin to flash. You tap the big knob/button, and you're connected. Once the call is complete, it takes you right back to where you were in the song/podcast. I ADORE this feature.

My complaints are few, but they still exist. The internal setup menus are a pain to navigate. I'm very tech minded, and I had to look up where the bluetooth pairing function was, and how to get to it. This only means that you may need to read the manual or do some basic internet searches, but it's something to note. Also, when detaching the faceplate to take it with you, it can often stick and not come off cleanly.

Beyond those two very small gripes, I'm absolutely happy. This is a great product.
on August 25, 2013
It's been 20 years since I've installed a after-market radio. I installed this in a 2004 Ford Explorer. I got the installation kit and the wiring harness. Everything fit perfectly. It took longer to run the handsfree mic than it did to install the radio. The bluetooth easily connected to my Samsung Galaxy. The remote is kind of an interesting touch. I've never used a remote for a radio until now. A couple of notes;

- Yes, the lights are bright at night, but it's really not that big of a deal.
- The bluetooth is great and connects automatically everytime
- To use the bluetooth phone feature, I found that it worked best to mute the radio after taking a call. I hear the other person through the speakers, but they hear me through my phone. By muting the radio, it cuts down on road noise. BTW, the mute doesn't mute your phone, be careful

Overall, I really like this radio. It's a great choice if you're replacing the factory radio.
on May 6, 2013
First, it is a beautiful unit. Like art for your dashboard. Sounds great, Bluetooth pairing is the easiest I've ever seen. The illumination options are unlimited and the included BT mic makes calls from my tiny import without picking up road noise.

Now the two cons. First: I am not a 12yo girl. When I make a menu selection, I don't need stars and sparkles to herald my choice. It's distracting, time-consuming and annoying. With so many customizing options, you need to make turning this feature off one of them.
Second, and more importantly: the whole illumination thing is too darned bright at night. It's like driving with your dome light on. Especially the area around the USB input. The "Dim" selection is a cruel joke. It's three menus deep and dims the display by about 5 lumens. I had to toggle it a few times to make sure it was doing anything.
Here are my suggestions: have a button on the face that steps the illumination output down to a customizable level set in the menu system. Or, have a button that switches it to a night mode that can dim the display and/or change the colors. Or, put a little light-sensing diode on the face that detects ambient brightness and adjusts the display accordingly. My cellphone does that, you can too.

But I'm not returning it. I just set the color to red and it's OK. And other than that, it's a beautiful, high-quality, feature-rich, bass-pumping monster.
on March 25, 2014
I installed this radio in a Ford Bronco recently with no issues whatsoever. The radio feels well constructed and I'm sure that it will last a very long time. In the box, you will find the radio itself, a microphone for use with bluetooth features, a remote control, and an instruction manual. This radio will fit 99% of cars. You may have to also purchase a "single din dash install kit" for your vehicle. I have been a big fan of Pioneer radios for quite some time and have always had great results.

I really like the bluetooth feature this radio has. The radio comes with a microphone that you install in your car to use with hands free phone calls. You can play music from your phone via bluetooth which pretty much makes auxiliary and USB cords deprecated. You can also place and answer phone calls using an intuitive interface, all from your radio, after you have linked your phone and radio via bluetooth. Another cool thing about the radio is that I have only linked my bluetooth once, and when I get in the car, the radio says "connecting," and then my music resumes where it left off. The bluetooth sound quality is great - if you were to tell me that you were playing music "hard-wired," or off of a CD, I wouldn't think twice about it. Another big plus is that hands free call quality is great - if you have any issues with someone hearing you, I suggest reinstalling the included microphone closer to you. Answering and ending calls couldn't be easier - all you have to do is simply press the bluetooth button once, and you will answer a call if receiving one, or end a call if one is in progress. The bluetooth interface works pretty well with Pandora Internet Radio - you can skip songs and even rate them, all from your radio.

The radio is highly customizable also. You can select many different backlight and button colors to your liking. You can also make the radio pulsate colors, and change colors in sequence, etc. You can also even set the radio to flash different color patterns when you receive a phone call (assuming bluetooth is connected). I like this feature because you can set the radio's color scheme to match your vehicle's, for a nice OEM look.

Sound quality is great! This radio uses the standard Pioneer MOSFET 50w x 4 amplifier, that packs more than enough power for most people. If you have a factory radio in your vehicle, this radio will most likely blow you away, even if you have the same speakers. The equalizer levels are easily adjustable and customizable to meet your specific needs. The radio also features all of the standard Pioneer audio adjustments, such as: loudness, source level adjustment, subwoofer controls, bass boost, high and low pass crossovers, fader, etc. As far as the "loudness" setting goes (off, low, medium, high), I would set it to "off," or "low," because it can adversely effect audio quality when set too high, as can the source level adjustment.

The radio features a USB port and an auxiliary port, which is great for non-bluetooth compatible devices, such as some iPods, mp3 players, flash drives etc. The radio also features a CD drive, which CAN read most "burned" CDs with no problems. The radio also has RCA pre-outs and subwoofer inputs. All of the controls feel very easy to use, and after a few days with it, I'm sure you will agree.

I haven't used the MIXTRAX feature yet, so I can't comment on it's usefulness. The MIXTRAX application is supposed to make a non-stop mix of your music library that includes "DJ inspired effects." This feature sounds pretty neat for those that are interested, but personally, shuffle works fine for me, so this is just an added bonus, if you will.

All in all, I would absolutely recommend this unit to anyone who is looking for a great, affordable radio that has a laundry list of features.
on June 30, 2014
I purchased and installed this deck in my 2000 Honda civic. This deck for the price does everything I need. I will have to agree with some of the others about the dimmer at night. It does not really dim all that much and I actually covered the deck with a shirt on a long drive one time but other than that its a great deck.

Comes with a remote control as well as a microphone for your phone. Bluetooth was easy to set up and from what friends tell me I sounded clear on the other end during a phone call. USB feature is great as I purchased a mini USB stick and put a bunch of music on it but when using a USB drive this deck will not shuffle through the music like on an I pod. You can however make different folders and things like that.

All of the display colors were kinda cool at first but after about a week of trying them all I just stuck with the white. There is also the mixtrax which was more of a cool feature rather than something that would make or break my purchase.

The sound from this deck paired with some speakers I purchased was just fantastic. You can really tell the difference from a stock system to one the is aftermarket, at least in an older car like my civic.

All in all this deck was very easy to install and sounds great. Has all sorts of controls for your mids and highs and sub stuff. So much to even list everything my next car with defiantly have his or the next model up in it.
on September 11, 2013
This radio rocks! I stream itunes match music from my iphone to the radio via bluetooth and it works perfectly. The aux and tuner are great too. And all the sound features ... there is a bit of a learning curve, I've had to pull over a couple of times to perfect the tuning, but once you get it you are good to go. And when I remove the radio it remembers the settings. I do remove it in extreme heat, to protect it. Hubby got me a nice radio sleeve that I keep in my purse. Highly recommended, great price and we had it professionally installed at Best Buy for another $140 or so, including additional parts (can't recall the exact price).
on February 5, 2014
The good:
- Wonderful fat base and very clear sound (yes, Pioneer's Mosfet amplier does it again!)
- Microphone has OK sensitivity for phone calls (good, but not great). It is impressive that one is included for a car stereo in this price range in the first place.

The bad:
- The blinking bright lights around controls and display are annoying and take attention away from driving, especially at night. It does not seem possible to turn this feature off. Maybe cool if you are 16, but I am 40 and I hate this.
- Whilst too bright at night, the display is very difficult to read in sunlight
- You can only store 3 bluetooth connections at the time. I have used all three slots, which means I need to delete one and then add it back later whenever a family member wants everybody to listen to particular song on his or her phone
- It charges neither my Samsung, nor my Blackberry when connected with a USB cable

The ugly:
- When connecting my Blackberry via bluetooth, it automatically starts playing a random sound file on the device. And when finishing a call, it starts again, with another random sound file, even if the sound player was turned off the first time. This is a feature of the stereo, not the Blackberry (it happens also with other phones). Again, takes attention away from driving. I find this feature incredibly annoying as I like to make lots of phone calls when I drive.
- Accidently pushing the volume button when adjusting the volume takes you into the menu system, which takes attention away from driving (you have to search the stereo for the "back" button). Trying to regulate the equalizer (e.g. treble, base etc) while driving requires so much attention to the device that driving becomes dangerous. There are too many layers of menues that one is required to navigate.

Not a stereo for those that desire something that is easy to operate while driving. Not a stereo for those with high blood pressure. I love the sound quality, but I regret this purchase overall.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.