Truck Reviews HPC Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Lately, I seem to spend hours in my car, even though I no longer commute to work, and music is important to me. I upgraded to this head unit when I got tired of hunting for music off my 16GB USB stick and wanted the option of Pandora, even streamed through the AUX jack would be OK. So, a month after I installed this Pioneer unit, I gave up my iPhone 4, and bought a Nexus 5 (Android 5.0) hoping it would just play nicely with it. Nope, doesn't recognize it by USB but it will charge it safely. Will it play my USB stick, well only if formatted as FAT32 and not FLACs or AACs...so that's disappointing. I really hadn't seen Bluetooth really do anything cool yet when I bought this in Fall 2013, and rental cars always seemed to screw up the BT controls so I thought to forgo BT. I ended up buying a little A2DP BT receiver for the AUX jack and that solved the problem, except for the voice part of my phone calls which no one said could hear me with, even though they sounded great, as did Pandora through the BT-Aux.

Once I got the sound source issues squared away, I loved the sound through the factory speakers, certainly loud enough and clear. One crazy-making feature is the LED screen color scheme which can change very easily, too easily, when cycling through the menu. Passengers seem to motice the LED colors but not in a good way. the The preset EQ settings are a little limited as there are no custom settings and the menu navigation using the jog dial can be a little too complex for driving, esp. given that I drive stick and much of the music control has to occur through the Nexus 5 interface and the A2DP, rather than through the head unit. My next head unit is the Pioneer DEH-X6800BT Single DIN Bluetooth In-Dash CD/AM/FM Receiver so I am looking forward to the great sound and better Android BT interface options.
on January 15, 2015
I bought this to replace the factory am/fm radio in my 89 Toyota pickup (small cab). I coupled it with a pair of doormount, 6" biaxial Infinity speakers that I bought at Best Buy, and the two 4" Rockford/Fosgate dash mount (downward firing) speakers I already had. This combination will produce more high-quality sound than I can tolerate, and in my opinion, there's plenty of bass. If you want to annoy anyone in the neighborhood you're driving through, or other cars, you'll probably want something more powerful. But if you have a smallish car or truck and efficient speakers, this should be more than sufficient to drive them.

The features of this set are good and it works flawlessly with an iPod Classic, which you can either control from the head unit, or from the iPod itself, something I prefer. The light show this unit puts on by default can be annoying and distracting at night, but you can set a single color and leave it. The initial setup process is a smidgen difficult, so don't try it while driving. But once set up, it's fairly easy to operate and also comes with a remote (something I find ridiculous, personally).

My only complaints? Pressing the volume button activates the setting-changes, and it's easy to accidentally press it when you just want to raise or lower the volume. Also, if you twirl the volume knob rapidly, it actually changes the volume level more slowly than if you twirl it slowly. When using the aux or iPod connection, the preset buttons have other functions, but you'll have to either have bionic vision to see the functions (and the button number), or a very good memory and excellent dexterity to hit the right button.

But those are all minor complaints. This head unit is a tremendously good value and I'd recommend it.
on November 7, 2013
I used to really be into car stereos when I was younger. I hate having a deck because mine always used to get stolen. I was running a small system with a 4x35 watt amp and upgraded speakers with a line converter to turn the high level output of the factory unit to low level input for my amp. The sound was pretty good, but the factory radio had a terrible volume control. It would go from quiet to loud in just a couple clicks. This deck solved the problem. I have a nice smooth volume control. Gradually gets louder as opposed to going from dead quiet to super loud in half a turn of the knob.

This deck has a bunch of options I will not use like the lights that change color and such. It was nice that I could choose a color. There are tons of colors. I chose one that matches the rest of my factory lights in the surrounding controls. The USB interface works a lot faster than I expected. Pretty cool that I can put hours and hours of music on a flash drive. Nice clean sound. For the price 90% of people couldn't here the difference if they spent $400 on a deck. The price is to the point where it is not a huge loss if it gets stolen. Keeping my fingers crossed mine will be safe for a long time.
on December 12, 2013
The Illumination is neat. Mixtrax special effects only work on USB however. The illumination is very bright for night driving & distracting. Dimmer made no difference. Personally don't like the Mixtrax/control/volume button. If you are trying to change volume and accidently press on button, it changes to system functions & you have to go out of your way to get back to volume setting. Changing system settings are tedious & difficult. Press this, turn that. Never get where I want to & usually give up. Have had unit for 2 weeks and still haven't gotten to adjust custom EQ settings.
My biggest personal gripe is that display details are limited. I prefer to have a clock in addition to all tuner or CD details. You CANNOT get clock/radio setting (ie: 95.1) or clock/CD track # . Nor can you get EQ settings/graphics (bars, wavy lines, etc) to remain on screen with other pertinent info. Pioneer's old systems had much more detail on screen so I knew exactly what was going on at a glance. Now I have to fish around.

Sound is good. Had an existing Pioneer unit and switched it right out & this one went right in.

Would not buy this unit again however.
on August 7, 2013
I bought this open box for a really good price. Everything was there when I got it and no damage or anything to the unit itself.

I installed this head unit in my 2002 Hyundai Elantra. When I bought the car a couple years ago I thought there might be something wrong with the speakers but as it turns out it was the factory head unit. After installing this head unit it sounds SO GREAT!

People are right it can be a little bright at night, but it really doesn't bother me, in fact I'm so used to it that I feel like something is wrong after I turn the car off and there is no light at all.

I don't use MIXTRAX at all. It was just awful the couple times I tried it. That's not to say that you won't like it. It's definitely not a reason to not buy this unit because you can simply not mess with it.

I love the color changing possibilities.

I have a really old ipod nano and a comparatively really new iphone 4S and they work perfectly with this stereo.

Overall, I spent birthday money on this stereo and it was totally worth it. I couldn't be happier with it!
on December 17, 2013
I have this unit as an upgrade to an older Pioneer unit, and my fiance has an identical unit in his vehicle as well! I love the ease of use (same as my previous) and I love the fact that the colored illumination can be changed and set or allowed to scroll through the colors. The only downfall is that you cannot dim the brightness of the colored illumination quite as much as I would like - it is much brighter than my previous deck. Mixtrax is very cool, but very distracting. If you are purchasing this for a new driver BEWARE as it could be extremely intrusive to their driving! Overall, I would buy it again (obviously, we have two!).
on June 7, 2013
I purchased this for my wife for mothers day and installed it easily (with a kit) in her PT Cruiser. She loves it, I loaded up a mini USB thumb drive with thousands of songs and put it on random play. She can go months without hearing the same song twice. She no-longer plays the radio with all those annoying commercials or Cd's which you have to change and keep them in your car The unit has great sound and the different color illumination is very cool. I myself don't care for the Mixtrax feature, I like to hear a whole song other then having the next song blend into it, but you don't have to use this feature if you don't want to. I could not find any cons about this stereo.
on July 8, 2013
Easy install into my 2005 Toyota Corolla-S. Just make sure to get the right wiring harness and DCN. The color options are awesome, great sound quality. I love the remote and the USB functionality (haven't yet tested it to see if it's powered USB, but previous reviewers said they could charge their iPod with it, so I'm assuming it is- can't vouch for that though). We just took this on a long road trip and enjoyed our music every minute. Pioneer makes a great quality product and this one is no different in that regard. For those who reviewed and said signal strength is not good or there is something wrong with the antenna- I'm not sure what they're talking about. I get great reception, and the stereo even has a built in signal strength feature so you can see if the signal is going to be spotty.
on October 21, 2013
I spent a lot of time on here going back and forth between about 4 Pioneer stereos. Pioneer makes a quality stereo, and has all the up to date features necessary. I decided to go with this one because it was a but cheaper than some of the other units, simply because it doesn't have Sirius or XM. But those were features I don't need or plan on using!!! Has lines out for subs, AUX/USB in for MP3 or iPod/phone listening, and IT CHANGES COLORS!!!! Also has an awesome setting in the colors that continuously changes depending on mood (Calm, Ambient and Warm) which goes through several color changes. Or you can set it up to all be one color. AND you can set the display and buttons color's separately!!!! All in all, great sound, great features. This is a winning stereo!!!!
on December 11, 2013
I like my new Car Stereo.

CD works perfectly. DVD's dont. It was my fault - I should have read details for carefully.
USB u need to format into Fat32 format .. NTFS doesnt work for some reason - but thats not a big deal.

The colors are good .. sometimes its too shiny.. but you can always control that.

The plastic feels a little cheap sometimes .. specially on top of cd slot. But its not that bad.

There might be better options now. .. but I would recommend this stereo for anyone who likes colors in der car :D ..