Piper Computer Kit: Award-Winning Build-A-Computer Age 8+ STEAM Learning, with Raspberry Pi, Google Blockly, StoryMode, Games, Python, and Amazing Projects!
- Make sure this fits by entering your model number.
- BUILD A COMPUTER: Includes all the components needed to build a fully-functioning computer! A Raspberry Pi, 9" screen, DIY speaker, rechargeable battery. Teaching kids to be STEAM-capable; coding their own games, interactive projects and more!
- HANDS-ON STEAM PROJECTS: Building the computer is only the beginning! Using Piper’s StoryMode, kids are guided through a secret mission, attaching wires and connecting electronic components to move around an immersive world and controlling the outcome.
- LEARN TO CODE: With a Piper Computer Kit, kids learn the basics of coding with 11 progressively challenging projects based on Google Blockly's easy, drag-and-drop visual coding language. Using PiperCode, kids progress through tangible tasks that increase their level of confidence.
- CREATED FOR KIDS AGES 8+: Designed by educators to foster self-paced learning, kids advance from foundational tasks through more challenging projects at their own pace. They can progress to pre-loaded Python programming language, deepening their engagement and competence.
- THE BUILD IS JUST THE BEGINNING: Piper Computer Kit features an integrated, build-it-yourself speaker and amplifier. The 9" display features 1024 x 600 HDMI resolution, making for eye-popping graphics. The kit is engineered for multi-rebuilds, with a sturdy carrying case. Beyond the build, Piper Computer Kit launches kids into an expansive, adventurous world of learning disguised as fun, with dozens of playable projects from Day One.
Frequently bought together
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Your question might be answered by sellers, manufacturers, or customers who bought this product.
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Please enter a question.
Success with Distance Learning
Recognizing that students will adapt to distance learning across a continuum of mastery is key to their success. Developed by educators, our complimentary Distance Learning Playbook offers a variety of customizable learning modalities which makes it easy for teachers, facilitators, and parents to meet the needs of their students.
HOW IT WORKS
Includes a set of blueprints with step-by-step instructions on how to build a working computer. Piper engages kids in a building experience with laser-cut wooden parts, a Raspberry Pi microcomputer, and a collection of electronic wires and equipment.
Once the computer is built, kids progress to a series of engaging challenges using Minecraft Raspberry Pi Edition teaching them valuable problem-solving skills. They make their way through a secret mission as they attach each wire and connect each electronic component.
PiperCode based on Google Blockly's easy drag-and-drop visual programming language is an effective way to teach coding in a tangible way. PiperCode comes with 11 progressively challenging projects to help kids gain confidence through accomplishing physical tasks through coding.
Once they learn the foundations kids are ready to experiment with creative computing. Using PiperCode they can code and create their own projects. It is also pre-loaded with Python for when your kids are ready for an advanced programming language.
- Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. 1GB RAM. 1.2 GHz Quad-Core 64 bit CPU
- 9” LCD display with an HDMI cable
- 7800mAh rechargeable battery
- Integrated speaker with amplifier and external volume control
- 16GB MicroSD card including 20+ Piper 3D StoryMode levels, PiperCode projects, and more
- Software updating capabilities (requires WIFI connection)
- USB Mouse
- Micro USB charging cable and wall charger
- 20+ electronic components including breadboards, buttons, switches, LED lights, buzzers, and 25 jumper wires
- 8 square foot laminated blueprint with visuals for assembly
- 25+ laser-etched wooden and acrylic pieces
- 50+ hardware pieces
- Phillips-head screwdriver
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
By eyegore on July 18, 2019
It’s a great product to introduce your child to engineering, computers, and coding. I love that the frame is made out of (sustainable) wood and that part of the product experience is building the computer itself. There’s a sense of accomplishment and ownership that comes from having built your own computer that a child doesn’t get with a finished product. I also love that it gives our son a better understanding of the inner workings of the hardware.
The box comes with a Raspberry Pi circuit board, battery, speaker, screen, wires, transistors, switches, buttons, pallets, screws, and a detailed step-by-step Blueprint that your child follows to build his computer.The first go around when he got our son his first Piper at 6 years of age, it took 3-4 hours with me and my son building it. The second time, when he was 8, it took him a little over 2 hours - and he did it all on his own!
The Piper comes embedded with MineCraft, Piper Mission, Scratch, Sonic Pi, Python, and programming software. Also, there is a guide on how to use the programming software.
Difference between Version 1 and 2:
This 2.0 version is a significant upgrade of the Piper we got a few years ago. Here are some of the big improvements:
- Larger screen
- Speaker gets embedded with the screen, creating less clutter
- Less glitches - feedback directly from my son
- Computer loads faster
- Longer charger cord, which allows your child to work on the computer while it can charge at an outlet
- More efficient battery
- More circuits and wiring
- Easier to build (but your child needs to pay close attention to the Blueprint!)
Impact on Kids:
The most beautiful thing about the Piper computer is the impact it’s having on our son. He naturally and understandably has a sense of pride in the fact that he has put together a computer all on his own and he already knows how to do coding. Piper has positively affected the trajectory of this young man. You can even watch a 3-minute ‘interview’ with him as he finished putting together his Piper 2.0: https://youtu.be/LcQbSTlPqdo
As far as the computer kit, once we got the screws, it has been fantastic. I like that there are several USB ports to add flash drives, keyboard, etc. My child is having a great time with this! Best gift for the 9 year old.
Top reviews from other countries
The problem then corrected itself once the Piper was hooked up to the Internet and able to update its software. My son had a great time filling the missions and doing the various projects. My son loves computers and video games and this helped him learn how computers and circuit boards work.
I emailed customer service back to let them know the problem had resolved itself and my son was now happily using his Piper. They closed the ticket and we forgot about this initial hiccup.
About a month later I received both a phone call and an email from a company executive assisting Piper's customer service, wanting to make sure the Piper was still working and that the initial problems had been resolved satisfactorally. I was very surprised by this followup and really appreciated that Piper stands behind their product in wanting to insure a positive customer experience.