Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services animestrike animestrike animestrike  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM
Customer Discussions > A Pirate's Love forum

"A Pirate's Love" 30th Anniversary--It's STILL Rape!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 9, 2009, 7:31:17 PM PST
If you have never read this novel by Johanna Lindsey, I can sum it up as highborn virgin is abducted by lustful pirate who rapes her (although it's not a gritty kind of rape, one might argue) over and over and over again until, mysteriously, she realizes she is in love with him.

In the 1990's some readers were willing to let this go as having been acceptable for a late '70's historical romance. But in truth it is violence against women that knows no decade or century.

Now this novel has been re-released in a new 30th anniversary edition. When I saw it fresh on the shelf I nearly hurled. The publisher is still willing to peddle violence and misogyny just because it has the Lindsey name and can rake in more profits?

Do as suits you, but I'm about to make a big fuss.

Posted on Jan 1, 2011, 5:26:25 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 1, 2011, 5:28:40 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 1, 2011, 5:30:49 PM PST
Candy says:
Rape is rape no matter how it is packaged. I hope no one is foolish enough to buy this book which only seeks to make rape seem acceptable.

Posted on Mar 28, 2011, 5:35:57 PM PDT
sw10k22 says:
Want a good pirate story with no rape? --> "A Pirate's Charm" by Chad T. Douglas, right here on Amazon. First of the Lore Trilogy. Douglas is an exciting and creative new author (21 years old). The series is great if you love action, adventure, romance, anything paranormal (vampires, werewolves, magic) and, in my opinion has been an overall satisfying read for me and my friends.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2011, 3:28:36 PM PDT
Want another good pirate story (again, sans the rape)? Try To Catch a Pirate at:

http://www.bookstrand.com/to-catch-a-pirate
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  A Pirate's Love forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Feb 9, 2009
Latest post:  Apr 13, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
Pirate's Love
Pirate's Love by Johanna Lindsey (Paperback - 1987)
3.0 out of 5 stars (193)