Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 72 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 153 reviews
on May 24, 2007
I have to admit, this is a great score from Hans Zimmer. Being a big fan of most of his work I expected great things from this disc, and it delivered on all of my hopes. The overall tone of the album is different than Dead Man's Chest or the Black Pearl soundtrack. It seems (to me anyway) that the music is bigger and much more dramatic than the previous scores. Zimmer uses instruments that I've rarely heard in his work, such as a piccolo and flute. This disc represents one of the most well rounded recordings of his to date.

As has already been pointed out by other reviewers At Wit's End and I Don't Think Now Is The Best Time are incredible tracks. I'd like to include I See Dead People In Boats and Singapore in that short list of standouts. Multiple Jacks is also a very good bit of music, albeit with a strange mix of rather exotic instruments. Up Is Down has a certain playfulness that I really enjoy as well.

I have to admit however that I have one complaint about this compilation. The music that is playing in the last minute or so of the trailer is not included. The music in question picks up when the first glimpse of the sea battle starts. It is an incredible bit of music that plays prominently for nearly a third of the trailer yet didn't make the cut on this disc. I'm absolutely shocked by this. My understanding was that I Don't Think Now Is Best Time runs around 26 minutes in the film and I believe this "phantom" music came from there. I could be wrong but that's where I think it would fit. Anyway, it's a shame that Disney (or whoever is responsible) edited this out of the soundtrack. The disc runs fifty-six minutes so it's not a question of available time, there was plenty.

That might sound like a small complaint (and it is) but the track in question was an absolutely stunning piece of music. With that said, I will repeat that what is here is undeniably the best score released for any of the three films. I just guess I'll have to wait until the extended version of the soundtrack comes out (which I believe I read was going to happen for all three films)...

***UPDATE***

After watching the film over the weekend I was just as surprised to find that the musical piece referenced above is also missing from the film itself. Not just the soundtrack. Why do they do this? After looking at some other reviews it seems I'm not the only one who was looking forward to hearing this.
55 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 21, 2011
This is a rich and triumphant score - worthy and fitting for the final of the first three films. While the first film's slightly purer, more direct themes and instrumentation may still stand the test of time as the quintessential Pirates music, this score is thicker, richer, and more epic in tone and energy, again very fitting for the Worlds End film. It is also one of the best scores from Zimmer in recent years. While all of his work is quality and enjoyable, this score is refreshingly full in composure and range compared to much of his recent more monotone atmospheric explorations (in scores such as Inception, Sherlock Holmes, The Dark Knight, etc). Though as another reviewer pointed out, you can hear certain themes and sounds starting to emerge in places of this work that become a big part of some of these later film scores. In any case, this is a very strong and enjoyable work. It even captures some of the feel and emotional strength of his work for Crimson Tide, which for me, was one of the scores that first drew me to Zimmer as a composer. I highly recommend adding this album to your collection! 5/5
on June 14, 2017
Huge fan of the POTC franchise and the musical scores are wonderful.
on May 25, 2007
To begin, I want to give a little background. I loved, and still do love, the first "Pirates" score. Yes, I know it was a bunch of electronics. Yes, I know that the CD had less than 50 minutes of music on it. But, you know what? It was really, really fun! The themes were awesome! You can't beat "The Medallion Calls". Definitely one of my favorite piece of music of all time. As far as Dead Man's Chest goes, I used to love it (especially track 2, "The Kraken"). But as time went on, I slowly started to like it less and less, until finally I couldn't stand it.

(If you want to skip my boring story, skip this paragraph)

So, about a week ago, I finally heard the clips to this soundtrack. I was flipping out. It was like, wow. Then I must have heard them over about fifteen times each (I'm serious). And I waited, and waited, and waited, for that number 22. I called up Wal-mart, and that crap store told me that they have Dead Man's Chest and Curse of the Black Pearl, but no At World's End. Possibly the most popular score right now, and they didn't take the time to get it immediately? Pathetic. Anyway, I bought it off of Amazon on Tuesday, and got it on Wednesday. How did I get it so fast? Well, I started the "Amazon Prime" trial, chose one day shipping (an extra four bucks), and waited almost all day on Wednesday for the UPS truck to come.

So, what do I think of this score?

-On it's Own: Incredible

-Compared to Curse of the Black Pearl: This is probably better, but I love the first one as well. They sound completely different, so you can't really compare them.

-Compared to Dead Man's Chest: At World's End is plain out better, better, and better.

I am seriously going crazy over this score. Dead Man's Chest, though not ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE, pales in comparison to this. Just pales. It seems like Zimmer used the electronics very lightly on this one, as the only track with them really pronounced is "Parlay".

Compared to Dead Man's Chest, the original themes aren't constantly present. This is actually a good thing, as we don't hear the same thing over and over again. However, when I do hear them once in a while, it's great. The themes for Davy Jones and Jack Sparrow are present as well, though not overwhelmingly.

It is so hard to pick the tracks that I liked most. Overall, "At Wit's End" and "I Don't Think Now is the Best Time" may be the best. But I also LOVE "Singapore," "Up is Down," "I See Dead People in Boats," "What Shall We Die For," "One Day," and "Drink Up Me Hearties." "Hoist the Colors" is great, too. True pirate music for once. In short, the ones I liked the least are "Multiple Jacks," "The Brethren Court," "Parlay," and "Calypso." I'm not going to go into great detail of all the tracks; if you want that, go to soundtracks.com and read their intensely long review.

Who is this score for? Those who liked the heavy use of electronics in COTBP may not like this one, for the simple reason that it is much more instrumental. But if you can get away from the rock-type sounds, then this is amazing. Those who didn't like DMC (for reasons I can understand), and have been waiting impatiently for this one to come out, then you WON'T be disappointed. And for those of you who have neither COTBP or DMC, give it a shot (no, don't shoot it).
on March 19, 2014
I love film scores, especially rousing, epic, hearty film scores. Hans Zimmer's Pirates scores are just exactly that. I've owned the Dead Man's Chest score for a while now, and while I enjoy it, I adore the At World's End score. This takes the familiar themes, plays with them, stretches them, makes them soar, and experiments. Rousing, epic, adventure at its best. Even though the film itself has ups and downs, this score is not one of the downs. If you're a fan of Zimmer in the slightest, get this now and don't look back.
on June 6, 2017
Love this! Very relaxing
on June 17, 2007
Zimmer has outdone himself yet again. This is one of his most beautiful scores.

It's particularly impressive that he did not do what most composers of third-movies-in-a-trilogy do (even though it has good reason): rest primarily on already-established themes. Sure, he keys in the themes from 1 & 2 where appropriate, with delightful variations, but this score is mostly original work. So many stirring themes, all of a piece for these movies.

Listening to the score on its own, one can better appreciate its dramatic support of the film -- particularly in how he built much of it off the song penned by screenwriters Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio (and co-scored by director Gore Verbinski) that's so integral to the story.

The orchestrations, particularly in "At Wit's End," "Up Is Down" and "One Day," are wonderful. I could listen to the stirring "One Day" for days on end. The Morricone tribute "Parlay" is great fun, enhancing the spaghetti western visual inspiration in the film.

One small regret: there is a beautiful new theme played briefly in the film's climax (and perhaps elsewhere) that does not appear on the soundtrack, which is odd since there's certainly room on the disc.

A score worth owning. It's stunning.
on August 30, 2015
Rounds out the trilogy nicely and lots of action. The story line worked out nicely with good over-the-top acting but this is a fantasy after all. I'm giving it 4 stars as it doesn't measure up to the first movie but if you've come this far, might as well see it.
As an aside, too bad they made another Pirates after this but that's what happens when hollywood gets on a money train. This one doesn't disappoint.
on December 22, 2015
Hans Zimmer has been, and continues to be, one of my favorite movie score composers of all time. He masterfully injects personality, tension, whit, and adventure. Just imagine watching this movie without the score, and then consider just how incredible his music really is.
on May 3, 2017
I got this album for five songs: At Wit's End, Up is Down, What Shall We Die For, One Day, and Drink Up Me Hearties Yo Ho. The rest, I don't care about.