Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Assassins Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 61 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 64 reviews
on May 12, 2011
KEY THINGS TO KNOW - details below
Amount of pressure needed or size of compressor
Regular flow of sand
Angle you are pointing the gun
grade of sand

I never sandblasted before. I had a project that I thought was small and the reviews looked good on this gun, so I got it. I have given it 5 stars because it did what it said. I've written this review to help other novices as they consider getting a gun.

CONTEXT
First, to help you understand my review, I'll give you the context. I wanted to sandblast my rusty, old boat trailer. I figured it was a small job since it is not something body mechanics are interested in doing. However, I learned that it was not a small job. It took me hours to do and hundreds of pounds of sand. I'm glad I did it. I now can do other projects and know what I'm getting into.

THE FLOW
It took me sometime to get the flow of sand to the point that it took the rust and paint off at a reasonable speed. (To me a reasonable speed is about 1 square inch per 5 seconds. Not like at an auto shop, but good enough for my project.) My compressor is able to do 135 psi, but not continuously. I found at 120 psi I was able to get good results. However, because I was doing a trailer which required me to have the gun at different angles, the canister did not work well. I kept losing contact with the sand. I got a 2' hose (I think 3' would work too) and attached it to the end of the gun. I put the other end of the hose in a bucket of sand and was able to move the gun around to get the angles I needed and also have a nice flow of sand.

SAND - RECYCLE
Someone said 5 pounds of sand goes a long way. I guess that is true on a small project, but not for a trailer. First I got fine sand, but that didn't work well. I picked up medium grade and that was much better. If I could have gotten even coarser I would have. The gun doesn't have a problem moving dry sand. After 70 pounds and only getting 1/8 the way done, I decided I would recycle the sand. I put a tarp down to catch the sand. I used an old window screen to clean it. It worked great and I didn't have to drive 50 miles to get more sand. I recycled it many times and it was still so clean I kept it for another job. I put it in a plastic bag in hopes to keep moisture out.

HOOD
I'm back on Amazon to get a sandblaster hood. I should have spent the $20 for the first project like someone suggested. I had tight goggles, a mask quality mask for breathing and ear plugs and still the sand got everywhere.

Well, I hope that helps. Enjoy yourself, it is a blast :-)
33 comments| 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 16, 2013
For needing a unit about twice the size of this air sandblaster I was amazed. It requires about 1 half the pressure and can be run by a 1 to 2 gallon capacity compressor it does am amazing job. I didn't want to take the parts I needed into a shop and pay $100.00 to matched the parts to same texture so I put on my Glasses and Gloves and what would of taken a week was finished in 15 minutes. Save yourself some money and make sure you have a recovery system for the blasting media. A 5 gallon bucket worked for what I needed. The blasting was as good or better than a pro. USE protective equipment ! unless you don't want your hands or eyes!!
on April 5, 2016
Does not work. Cannot get it to spray the sand out. It says it's a complete in one sand blaster gun kit but I cannot get the sand to blow out of the gun. I get the impression that unless you have a high high-end air compressor it's not going to work for you
on April 19, 2017
Works well with some modification. The media needs to pass through the space between the gold or brass air orafice and the removable chrome plated tip or nozzle. Without modification it does not have room to do so. I removed the tip and beveled the intake side of the tip and cut it back some with great success if you don't have the tools to do this I would think just pulling the tip out a bit and tightening the set screw so it's not in the groove in the tip would work as well. Hope this helps
on September 6, 2013
This is a simple tool, and is not for large jobs. I am stripping the radiators (home heating) in my house. For initial paint removal, I used BTN "Ready Strip" (great product and environmentally tolerable). I used a power washer also. Then came the need to remove rust and stubborn paint. I was not confident that I would find anything I could use with my 2 gallon DeWalt compressor (1.1cfm @ 90 psi), then I came across this sand blaster. The reviews for small compressors was positive, so I bought one. It arrived well packaged, but there were no instructions, suggestions, nor any other helpful material. There is no ceramic tip (by design), so it'll be interesting to see how long it lasts. Results:

** First use was surprisingly positive. Cut right through the rust and the looser enamel undercoating that the BTN product left behind.

** Can be used with small compressors, but you will wait on the compressor. Gun performance degrades significantly below 85psi.

** Optimal results were achieved at 95psi or better (again using small compressor).

** I found that the feed tube had come loose from the canister mount during first use. It appeared that something like Elmer's Glue-All was used to secure the feed tube. The resulting leak made the gun ineffective. However, securing the tube using JB Weld has remedied the issue. I expect that I will braze the tube in time.

I would recommend this product to friends with the following caveats:

*** Small jobs only.

*** Expect to re-seat (glue or weld) the feed tube.

I gave it three stars because of the feed tube issue and lack of helpful literature. The performance of the gun under optimal conditions is very good when used with a small compressor. I am confident that performance with a larger compressor (6cfm or better) would remove the chemical paint aspect of my job altogether.

I hope you have found this review helpful.
on March 26, 2017
Bad product. Was at 90+ PSI and media was barely coming out. Will not work with certain media at all. Had to modify. This belongs in the harbage.
on November 27, 2010
This sandblaster does exactly what I wanted it to do, I first bought one about 20 years ago from SnapOn for about $90, I thought it was sooo worth it after finding so many reasons to use it, and it couldn't have been easier to use either. so when I went looking to replace it a few weeks ago came across this one online and snatched it up for a fraction of the cost and it works about as good as the SnapOn one, can't get much easier than pour sand in canister and pull trigger.
on January 16, 2017
Does not work I don't know what this gun is sold for because it isn't sand blasting will not even try to cypher sand up tube, will be sending it back..
on September 19, 2016
It did not work. They don't tell you, you need a very high high volume compressor to get it to work at all. Worthless......
A regular compressor, for get it.....
on December 6, 2013
Sand gets stuck in the bottom a lot, and does not blast. You spend most of the time shaking it around to keep the sand flowing. Have tried 2 different sands. The finer the better, but then it cleans slower. Must be 110% dry! Not really worth the effort, yet alone all of the sand all over the place...