Pitch Black (Widescreen Edition)
|Additional DVD options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
|Watch Instantly with||Rent||Buy|
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
When their ship crash-lands on a remote planet, the marooned passengers soon learn that escaped convict Riddick (Vin Diesel) isn't the only thing they have to fear. Deadly creatures lurk in the shadows, waiting to attack in the dark, and the planet is rapidly plunging into the utter blackness of a total eclipse. With the body count rising, the doomed survivors are forced to turn to Riddick with his eerie eyes to guide them through the darkness to safety. With time running out, there's only one rule: Stay in the light.Pitch Black is the original sci-fi hit that introduced the world to the character of Riddick, the ultimate anti-hero. Take a ride on the pulse-pounding adrenaline rush that USA Today calls "the best excuse to root for the bad guy since Arnold in the original Terminator."
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
Director David Twohy keeps the tension up throughout and gets good performances from the actors, which is not always the case in these types of films. Radha Mitchell is both strong and sympathetic as the defacto leader of the group. Cole Hauser, who plays the mercenary Johns, is a capable foe for the Riddick character.
The movie has a slick look, with an appealing use of color tinting. The special effects look a bit dated now, particularly the animation of the creatures, but they are still good enough for some scares. The blu-ray transfer is well done--both audio and visual are strong. The daytime scenes are crisp and detailed. The nighttime scenes are a little grainy, but still very good.
This edition contains both the theatrical version of the movie and the unrated director's cut, which is a bit more gruesome. It contains several featurettes and other special features not included in the DVD edition.
Not everyone will like this movie. It contains violence and a number of frightening scenes. There is also some language. Nevertheless, a redemptive theme emerges in the closing minutes of the movie that makes the viewing experience worthwhile. Without it, this movie would have been grim and pointless.
This movie sets the stage for the sequel, "The Chronicles of Riddick" as well as the animated version, "Dark Fury" to come out. Since I am looking forward to the newest Riddick movie to come out in two weeks, I again watched Pitch Black, Dark Fury and The Chronicles of Riddick.
In conclusion, if you have not seen Pitch Black yet you may want to check it out before seeing the newest Riddick movie due out soon. In fact, you may want to check out all three previous Riddick movies. I like all the Riddick movies thus far and look forward to seeing the newest one.
Rating: 5 Stars. Joseph J. Truncale (Author: Predator Hunter: A warrior's memoir)
Not to sound snide, you can tell that a lot of time and money went into the project. They had to pick exotic Australian locations for the planet scene (thank goodness it was not Mars again). Those Vin Diesel eyes were experimental designed metal contacts. The orrery was a cute touch mixed with the otherwise hi-tech atmosphere. There is lots of action and even the obligatory waiting to be surprised did not drag out.
If this is a shoot-um-up movie and an "and then there were none" movie, it is done well. If it was supposed to be a sci-fi movie, which should have a moral to it, then it was lost in the shoot-um-up scenes.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Horror
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Aliens
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Monsters & Mutants
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Sci-Fi Action
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Focus Features > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Focus Features > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Focus Features > Horror
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Focus Features > Mystery & Suspense
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > All Universal Studios Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Science Fiction & Fantasy