Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 22 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 49 reviews
on February 25, 2014
This book is in one of my centers. My students love this book. I had to buy two copies because they fight over it! The poems are great and use creative vocabulary. My ELL students love the opportunities they get to look up the words and investigate how to use them. These poems are too funny!
on November 30, 2016
I am always on the hunt for new books for my kiddos! This book is such a good one!! The wording and descriptions of the story are very easy to read and have adorable illustrations! The book was very well written and had a cute story line. Overall, my kids and I give this book a thumbs up!
on September 29, 2015
We were introduces to this great book through the library. Our 5 and 10 year old loved it so much I went out and bought a copy. The kids pick it up and spontaneously reread the poems. It continues to bring them smiles and laughter with each reading. Really enjoyable for adults too! I can see this book being read for years to come. You can pick it up and open to any page and have a wonderful adventure.
on February 19, 2013
My son loves to read this, so much so that he even recites many of the poems from memory. He and my six year old daughter howl with laughter again and again as they read these silly poems. I like that the poems include grown-up words and don't dumb the language down. We get vocabulary, recitation, rhythm, rhyme, and lots of clean, wholesome fun. It's inspiring to see the kids so caught up in a book instead of the junk on TV and electronic games!
on May 20, 2013
After reading about Jack Prelutsky, I realized I probably should have heard of him before. My 3 year old picked this book out at the library and it has become one of her favorites (so much we bought a used copy on Amazon...GREAT deal). Poems are meant for an older child, but she will grow into the words/meanings she doesn't understand yet. As of now, Eyeballs for Sale is one of her most requested!
on May 15, 2010
In general I am not too fond of poetry, be it adult or children's poetry. I ordered this book along with several others by Jack Prelutsky for my 4 grandsons ranging in age from 2 to 7. As I usually do, I read every one of them before they do. Since I am not as eloquent as the author I cannot find the appropriate words as to how to describe how special these books are. Every child and adult with a sense of humor should pick up at least one of Mr. Prelutsky's books and read it. Even though they are written for kids, as an adult I found them to be more then special. He is an excellent author who does things with words that will not only entertain you and any child that is lucky enough to own his books, but after reading them I would not be surprised if this introduction to poetry will result in kids at any age being anxious to read more of Mr. Prelutsky's books. This author is exceptional when it comes to putting into verse life the way kids perceive it. His expertise in making the verses flow and rhyme so perfectly is a literary experience all children of any age should be exposed to. Any adult reading these books to a young child will not be bored and will actually look forward to the forthcoming verbal interaction that will be fulfilling for both the child and the adult. Some of his books are written for children that are reading on their own. These children will no doubt enjoy reading the books that were written for younger kids as well. Don't be surprised if they go back to these books over and over again even when childhood is just a memory. Do a child a favor and open the door to a very special reading experience that will not soon be forgotten.

The books themselves which include both hardcover and soft cover are made so that each page is thick enough to withstand being handled by children and even the soft covered books look and feel as if they are much more expensive than what I actually paid for them. When you hold it you can see how substantial and well made the book is. Like the potato chip commercial says, you can't just read one, after reading one I am sure that you will want to buy all of Mr. Prelutsky's children's books which is exactly what I did.
on December 25, 2007
Although I returned this book for quality reasons, I have owned a copy for a long time. The book is very fun and I love how there is some advanced vocabulary. It is a great way to introduce new words in a very fun way! It's hardly like learning at all, but that's what happens. The poems are a lot of fun!

I purchased the book with the intention of giving it to a three year old. Some of the poems do include sarcasm and/or negativity that I wouldnt read to her just because she wouldnt yet understand that it was a joke. But most of them are perfectly suitable for very young children.

I highly recommend this book, and use your own judgement to decide whether each poem is appropriate for the age child you are reading it to.
on September 1, 2012
The first book had gotten some damage somewhere along the line. They sent me a new copy immediately! I had it before school started so I could read it to my students! Thanks for helping this teacher get off to an excellent start!
on December 20, 2012
Ordered this book for my daughter because I loved this book as a child. Came in perfect condition as if it was bought straight from Barnes and Noble. Arrived quickly.
on June 22, 2016
My 13 year old said there were a couple poems that he didn't understand the humor of, but if I were rating it I'd give it five stars because my kids read it so much!