Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: A Place in Time: Twenty Stories of the Port William Membership
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

on November 13, 2012
Twenty more reasons to give Wendell Berry the Nobel Prize for Literature or at least a National Book Award. Start with story one in which an extraordinary 16-year-old, Rebecca Dawe, faces down the Confederacy, and then discover, one story later, how her dying mother personally saved her husband from conscription into that evil. Berry is the only American writer alive who has the moral depth and grandeur of a Walt Whitman and Emily Dickinson. Don't go another day without the companionship of this great novelist, essayist and all-round luminous man of letters.
33 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2012
Stories written by Wendell Berry bring back memories of a time when life was simple compared to modern days, and when
you reach the age of 77, as I have, you have a tendency to wish for the simpler life. While I do enjoy the niceties such as
electricity, modern transportation, and the ability to turn a dial and warm our home, I believe we were better off not knowing
instantly all the horrors that occur around the world over which we have no control . So I welcome Wendell Berry's books
and hope for many more!
on July 31, 2013
Its tough to offer an accolade about Wendel Berry not already said. His ongoing stories of the people of Port William lead and sustain us like a fine handcrafted walking stick or leather belt (a key missing prop in one very humorous story). Each word is carefully placed in a stone wall of literary greatness destined to last forever. And then there is the beauty of his writing, returning me to passages to read again, even three times. Berry makes me want to be a good writer and live a life grounded in family and friends.
on July 1, 2013
I have to admit that despite the enormous volume of his writings anything Wendell Berry writes I am pleased. I must share his view of the world: place means everything. This is a great place to begin if this is your first work of his. These short stories are many wonderful things in small bites. Read one a night and sleep well.
on February 18, 2013
Aside from his depth of understanding of human beings with humor and compassion,

I am in love with how he blends so much complexity with the natural world. Even

more astounding is how some of his characters, at the end of some of the stories,

very simply accept the losses in their lives and continue to live and

go on in spite of the knowledge of what they have lived through.
on November 12, 2013
A wonderful portrayal of the fictional town of Port William, from the horrors and chaos of the Civil War, to gentler times that still had their challenges. These stories open a window in time that is engaging and illuminating, told from various characters' points of view.
on November 16, 2013
Meet the people and families that are part of Port William. If you never read Berry's fiction, his stories are a good place to begin. They provide a good introduction to the characters. Berry's stories move you, challenge you, and leave you better for having read them. They will not leave you untouched.
on July 24, 2015
Wendell Berry is an American icon, a voice both humble and profound, who tells us stories that resonate and hibernate. I have read every novel, and many of his essays and poems. They are all rich in detail, spirit and purpose. His passion of farming, community, open spaces, great love, endearing friendships, humor found in daily life, and work and loss lift me to a better place, a slower place. The characters he has created are so well described with both beauty and flaws they seem to be neighbors I have not yet met but want to. My favorite novels are The Memory of Old Jack, Jayber Crow, A Place in Time, Nathan Coulter, Hannah Coulter and Two More Stories of the Port William Membership. My favorite essays are The Gift of Good Land, The Hidden Wound and Sex, Economy, Freedom and Community. And my favorite poetry is The Country of Marriage and The Timbered Choir. I truly hope that he is recognized with the Nobel Prize for Literature soon. What a treasure he is!
on January 28, 2016
This collection of stories is inspiring and revisits many beloved places and people from the town of Port William that he has created and expanded over the course of many books. It may be a fictional place, but the truth of the place and its inhabitants is as clear as bell. I am always taken back to what I remember of the way of life of my grandparents and great grandparents in rural Kentucky, and reading these stories fills me with love, happiness, yearning, and loss as well.

Extraordinary as always from Wendell Berry, truly one of the most gifted authors of our time. Every new reading experience with Wendell Berry is a shining one. His prose is carefully detailed and layered with meaning. A gift of the highest nature.
on March 16, 2014
I pretty much love everything Wendell Berry writes so it's hard to be impartial. He is an incredibly talented writer and one I admire. I'm not a big fan of most living writers so this is high praise. When I read his stories, I feel as if he is my grandfather, telling me his stories. Wonderful book. It should be standard reading in schools instead of some of the things I've seen in suggested reading lists.