Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 167 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 219 reviews
on December 26, 2013
I know that Amish communities vary but many author's use this as a creative license to create their own fictitious Amish rules. One thing that did not ring true for me was the unforgiving nature of her Amish characters. Forgiveness is at the very core of their faith. The same day a crazed murderer opened fire on that Amish school, they went right to his widow 's house and offered her comfort. They did not blame her or shun her as her American neighbors did. Even the Amish children who were murdered forgave their attacker. So the petty and uncharitable Amish characters in this book just don't ring true. Also some typos and editing mistakes. Still... it was a very good story. I enjoyed it and may read one more by this author before I decide whether to add her to my list of must read or not.
on August 11, 2015
This is the first in this thrilling series. I've read different types of Amish mysteries and I think they are all very good, but this particular series seems very deep and really describes the Amish way of life. Chloe touched my heart and her friendship with Becky really made the story real.
Chloe begins her journey to Appleseed Creek by working for the college. Although she only plans to stay for a short time, you can tell she is excited to make the change. As she is driving, she meets up with Becky, a young Amish girl who is being taunted by a couple of hooligans. Chloe offers Becky assistance and their friendship begins despite their differences. Soon Becky explains to Chloe about her desire to be an artist and that she has left the Amish community to become English.
With no place Togo, Chloe offers Becky a place to stay an offers her comfort during this emotional time. Timothy is Becky's brother and he has left the Amish community as well. He appreciates Chloe taking in Becky and does what he can to help.
Becky tries to find a job, but no one in the community is willing to help her. On the day of a promising job interview, Becky takes Chloe's car and a horrible accident happens. Becky is in trouble now and this causes further separation from her family. When the accident takes the life of the Bishop, Becky is pushed away from everyone and feels that she may have been punished for leaving the Amish community.
Once the investigation begins, certain things are discovered and maybe Becky wasn't responsible for the accident.
Someone has deeper motives and Becky and Chloe fight to uncover the truth.
This was such a heartwarming story, filled with mystery and intrigue. I am a definite fan and look forward to reading more in this 5 star series.
on October 22, 2012
This novel was a strong debut introducing us to the town of Appleseed Creek, Ohio and to the new Director of Computer Services for the nearby Harshberger College,Chloe Humphrey. Driving her car and U-Haul to her new rented home, Chloe encounters a young girl in apparent trouble walking by the road. The girl is being accosted and Chloe, scared,but knowing she must help, stops and gives the girl a lift.

This was the one challenge to those of us who live in cities today, would you have aided the girl and then allowed her to stay in your home? Chloe does. The girl, Becky, is an Amish girl going off on her Rumspringa. While Chloe might be leery of letting Becky move in with her, Becky's naivete does not question the correctness nor safety of the situation at all. In fact, she phones her brother, Timothy to come help them move in.

As all guardians/parents know, children can get in mishaps. Even nineteen year olds. Becky borrows Chloe's car and there is a severe accident...but was it an accident and if not, then who was the intended victim?

There is violence in the Amish town of Appleseed Creek. The position of Bishop is greatly coveted by some. Raw hatred encounters greed and human destruction hits Appleseed. What is going on in this picturesque town? Then there is the undercurrents at the College.

Chloe will have a greater part in the future of this community than she expected as she drove in.

This was a good novel and makes me eager for the next volume.
on August 29, 2015
I don't usually write book reviews, but after just finishing "A Plain Death," I felt compelled to recommend the book. Clearly Amanda Flowers understands the Amish ways, and she weaves that into this story in a compassionate manner. Chloe is new to Appleseed Creek and is an Englische girl who is introduced to the Amish ways through new friends she meets along the way. Flower develops the characters well, and they become people the reader cares about. The secondary characters, both Amish and Englische, are interesting additions to the story as well. I can't wait to read more about Grandfather Zook in the rest of the books in the series. If you're looking for a little mystery, a little romance, a little insight into a different culture, then you'll enjoy this series. "A Plain Death" is a pleasant diversion for a weekend and a promising start for a new series of books. I can't wait to read the second installment.
on July 16, 2012
After an encounter with some bullies, Chloe is on her way to her new life, new home and a new roommate. When her roommate is injured in a car accident with a fatality, the cops discovers that Chloe's brakes were tampered with and now Chloe is on the search for a killer.

What a great read. This story had plenty of action and suspense that kept me turning the pages. The tone was very comfortable and the author did a good job at diverting my attention that kept me guessing as the story moved along. Chloe is a great character, strong yet vulnerable as is Becky, one of the secondary cast in this charmingly appealing and wonderful series. This debut mystery is a great beginning to what I hope is a long-running series.
A Plain Death by Amanda Flower is a sweet Amish mystery. It is the first book in the Appleseed Creek Mystery series. Chloe Humphrey has a new job at Harshberger College in Appleseed Creek as the Director of Computer Services. She is hoping to work there for two years to get the experience she needs for a job at a bigger college. On her way to her new home she encounters Becky Troyer. Becky is being hounded by new men and is desperate to escape them. Chloe rescues Becky and gains a new friend and roommate!

Becky Troyer is nineteen and has decided to leave her Amish home. Becky wants to be an artists (portraying faces) and it is not allowed by her Bishop. Chloe agrees to let Becky temporarily stay with her. Timothy Troyer is ex-Amish and is now a carpenter in Appleseed Creek. Timothy is Becky’s brother. Timothy tries to convince Becky to go home, but he is unsuccessful. Becky wants to pursue her art and is not ready to settle down and get married.

Chloe’s first week in Appleseed Creek is not what she expected. Her new rental home is very dilapidated. She meets her new employees and only two of them are welcoming. Then she gets a call from Becky. Becky has been looking for a job and decided to “borrow” Chloe’s car for an interview. Of course, Becky not having a driver’s license, insurance, or any driving experience did not stop her. Unfortunately, Becky had an accident and Bishop Glick is dead. Appleseed Creek Chief of Police, Greta Rose is looking into the incident. Becky could be charged with manslaughter.

At the same time someone is terrorizing the Amish in the community. They are destroying property. Who is trying to hurt these peace loving people and why are they doing it? Chloe and Timothy set out to clear Becky and find out who are hurting the Amish. A Plain Death has romance, mystery, friendship, great characters, and a lovely setting! I give it 5 out of 5 stars. The mystery is pretty easy to solve, but I enjoyed the story and characters.
on September 11, 2014
I'm glad I read book 3 in the series first, because many of the supporting characters in book one of the Appleseed Creek Mystery Series are just so downright awful that I don't think I would read anymore of these books.

Chloe Humphrey is moving from Cleveland to a small town in Ohio's Amish country to take a job as IT director for a small college. On her way into town, she helps a young woman escape some creeps. The young woman, Becky, has just left her Amish home to live in the English world, and Becky ends up as Chloe's roommate. It doesn't hurt that she has an attractive older brother, Timothy, who is also former Amish.

Becky "borrows" Chloe's car, the breaks fail, and an Amish bishop is killed. However, it turns out that Chloe's car was tampered with, and the break line was cut. Chloe begins an unofficial investigation, sometimes getting in the way of and sometime's helping Appleseed Creek's chief of police. Not a bad story overall, just so many really unlikable supporting characters.
on November 28, 2014
This book is about a young woman, a computer expert, who accepted a job at a small college, in an Amish community. On the way to the town, she came on a young girl, about 17 years old, being harrassed by 2 men, so offered the girl, Becky, a ride. They came to the house she was renting, and Becky asked if she could stay a couple of days. She had run away from the Amish community because she was an artist and the Amish frowned on images of people. Becky's brother comes to see her, and the computer expert falls for him right away. He was kicked out of the Amish community because he had gotten into trouble when younger. He became a carpenter and worked at the college, so they got to see each other often. Timothy, the brother, joined a church that believed in forgiveness and the grace of God. One day, Becky borrowed the car and ran into an Amish buggy, killing the bishop. She had no license and was not authorized to take the car, so she was charged with driving without a license and insurance. They found out someone had cut the brake lines of the car, so she was not charged with murder, but still the lesser charges. Then the Amish had problems with people letting their chickens out, driving vehicles through their soybean fields, etc, so they all worked to find out why and how did it all.

This book was intense, romantic, and showed how faith in God helps when things go wrong. I enjoyed this book very much, and the surprise ending surprised me! I highly recommend this book to all.
on March 21, 2014
When I began reading this, I had no idea how much I would enjoy it... and with the mystery, came the expected guesses of "who dun it".

But this book was a huge surprise! It isn't like others, where it's easy to guess who did it... or why... or even who the intended victim might have been!

I don't want to spoil it for you, so I won't say any more about the plot, except to say how much I LOVE THIS BOOK !!!

Last night I could not put it down until I finished it. And although I was tempted to pick up the second book in the series, I tried to wait...

Actually I did pick it up and began reading - it was that compelling. But common sense won out and I put it back, so I could write my review of the first book.

Read it... it doesn't matter if you prefer Amish or English characters, this book is full of both, with unexpected twists and turns. And if you read it, you'll want to read the sequels, too!

I am an avid reader of many genres, and I was pleasantly surprised -- something that doesn't happen often for me. I can't wait to read other books by Amanda.

I certainly agree with the comment on the back of the book near the bottom... "Pure Enjoyment".
on July 6, 2012
I enjoy reading Amish mysteries, and I really enjoyed reading this first book of the series-An Appleseed Creek Mystery by Amanda Flower-it was awesome! I had a hard time putting this book down,wanting to find out "who did it", I had a few clues,but then there was a twist or a turn in the plot, and I just had to read on till' I finished the book...and that was late last night! I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series, can't wait!