Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Fergie PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 40 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 97 reviews
on June 7, 2017
My rating 4.25.

Miriam Raber, at eighteen, is a lovely young woman who hasn’t dated in her Amish community as she is waiting for the right boy. She has believed for years that Saul Fisher is the one for her. This troubles her mother as it is well known that Saul has had a couple of rumbles and now there are rumors that he has plans to leave the community. Why can’t Miriam be interested in Jesse who is interested in her? Jesse is handsome, kind, hardworking and an excellent choice for a partner.

Miriam is looking forward to her first outing with Saul when she learns that her cousin, Shelby, has arrived from the city. Shelby is disgruntled and wary after suffering through her parents’ divorce and getting herself into a bit of trouble which has resulted in her being ‘sent away’ to her Amish cousins. The Amish farm is a culture shock for Shelby and Miriam tries her best to make her feel welcome.

Saul cares for Miriam and wants the chance to spend time with her even though he knows he shouldn’t. He has dreams that will take him to the city if only things remain smooth at his home so he can comfortably leave his younger brothers with their father. But their father is still having struggles after the death of Saul’s mother and sister. Saul is torn between protecting his family, wanting to be with Miriam and pursuing his dream.

Miriam believes that she is willing to be with Saul no matter where he goes but she doesn’t understand his moods as he seems to be pushing her away. She doesn’t yet know the extent of his dreams or his home problems. Will she still be supportive when she learns the full truth?

Initially Miriam’s mother is judgmental of Saul and later misjudges Shelby for influencing Miriam. Later her father becomes controlling as he fears Miriam may choose to leave the community.

Miriam’s parents are walking a fine line between trying to hold on to their beloved daughter and allowing her freedom to make her own decisions. Saul is hiding secrets at home rather than seeking help from others in their community. Shelby is finding her way to rebuilding her relationship with God as she discovers benefits and peace in the simple lifestyle of the Amish community.

This is a sweet story with likeable characters. It reads quickly and easily and the conflicts create a good plot. I really like the premise of what it means to be “a Daughter of the Promise”. There are several faith issues reflected and there are good discussion questions at the end. There are also some yummy recipes. (I’m eager for my hubby to make the Overnight Blueberry French Toast.) I recommend this to readers who enjoy Amish romances.
I enjoy reading novels about the Amish because there are so many object lessons to be picked up while reading. Beth Wiseman does another good job of writing a novel that draws on the real life decisions and troubles that people face.

Our four main characters are Miriam, Shelby, Saul and Jesse. Yes the story will revolve around love and courtship. But real life problems loom for each character. Shelby is Miriam's Englisch cousin come to live with the Rabers because her parents are divorced and she has not handled the situation well. She has experimented with drinking and drugs and having the wrong friends. As punishment she is sent to spend the summer with herAmish relatives.

But is it punishment or God's designed plan to reach his hurting child? Bottom line, Shelby finds God waiting for her and their relationship is renewed. Shelby also finds a relationship with a young man that she would have never imagined could exist.

In the midst of this story we also have Miriam and Saul coming to terms with their relationship and with Saul's desire to leave the community and move to Pittsburgh. Will Miriam follow him? Will their families allow it? Is Gods hand at work?

All these questions will be answered and done in such a way to remind us, the readers, that God desires to be involved in our daily life decisions and He does love us and provide help even in the hardest of choices that we must make.

Beth Wiseman again gives us real life lessons, real life struggles that people have with God and reminds us that our loving heavenly Father desires to give His children the desires of their hearts.

Enjoy!
on November 8, 2016
I like Beth Wiseman's other books but this was just too sweet. It was very drawn out but tied up neatly at the end. The book did not keep my interest but I did finish it.
Would I recommend it? Not really. It's not bad but it was not a page turner. The writing was Ok but this was like the Hallmark Saturday night movies that are so sweet you get cavities.
I like Amish books that feel a little more true to life. In my life I've never met people as perfect as those portrayed here. While there was a little conflict and some anger they still always behaved perfectly. Even the Amish I bet have times when they don't behave rationally. After all they are still just human.
on April 8, 2017
This Amish story is a page turner. The characters become real, and I couldn't wait to see what happened next. I highly recommend everyone who loves Amish fiction to read this book. It reads as a stand alone.
on April 20, 2017
Great Amish Series by Beth Wiseman. Love these books!
on January 8, 2017
Plain Proposal( Daughters of Promise was the best book ,, I couldn't put it down for what was going to happen next . Love the Amish book
on October 14, 2016
As with all the other books in this series. I have laughter cried been sad then happy. You have the ability to cause the reader to become the character!
on November 10, 2016
I thought it was a pretty good read I only gave it four stars because I thought it got a little boring but as I got closer to the end it got better.
on May 5, 2017
I enjoyed this book as much or even more than all the amish books I have read. I loved the story twist! E. T.
on March 8, 2011
This is the latest in Beth's series of books about the Amish in Lancaster County, PA. I visit there often and love to read about their lives. Miriam, Saul and Shelby each have their own struggles to contend with and must make their own decisions. I read the book in 1 day because I couldn't put it down. I wanted to see what happened and how everything worked out for Saul and his family and for Miriam and Shelby. I did shed a few tears. I always love Beth's books and cannot wait for the next one.