Truck Reviews HPC Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Plainsong Psalter
Format: Hardcover|Change
Price:$29.29+ $3.99 shipping

on August 31, 2013
I follow a program of praying the psalms daily with a four-week rotation. Because I love music and because using music, adds another dimension to my prayer, I use the chants in this book. The antiphons (with choices for the church seasons) are lovely and add much to my experience. The chant, while based on ancient chant tones, is printed in modern music notation making it much easier to read and follow. I periodically reread the instructions at the beginning to help me improve my chant. I don't see why a person who has some music background could not learn chant from this book alone but I know having studied chant at Saint Helena's Episcopal Convent in Georgia made it easier and more rewarding for me to use this book. I have the sister's breviary but it is so cumbersome and so complex, that this book combined with the psalter adapted for laypersons by the Community of Jesus are perfect for me for my daily practice of praying the psalms as a layperson.

I have ordered books on chant for years trying to find something like this book. I could have saved a lot of money on books I ultimately did not use if I had found this psalter earlier.
7 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on March 5, 2018
This is a great resource if you're into chanting the Psalter. Nice large print and music in modern notation.
on May 16, 2014
I've been curious about learning more about Gregorian chant since majoring in music in college, many years ago, but never invested myself. This resource has been a rich blessing as I've begun chanting a few Psalms each day. As the weeks pass I find myself focusing more on the text and less on the mechanics. The format for notation was fairly easy to pick up. The only thing I would add to this work is other scripture songs, the canticles beyond the Psalter.
on March 4, 2017
I was surprised to see Plainsong modes assigned individual Psalms, though you could do the psalm to any Plainsong mode you desired. I was very happy to get this book and will use it in the years to come.
on April 25, 2018
it's exactly what I needed!
on April 10, 2013
This is exactly what I needed and expected. My only complaint is that I wish each Psalm was printed on its own page, for ease of copying for bulletin inserts.
on December 19, 2016
I use this every week when we sing Compline at church, it is very user friendly.
on May 17, 2015
Was very familiar with this book long before I ordered it, so I knew just what to expect. Works well for a cantor or two. For a choir, get the green one.
on August 3, 2016
Wonderful, beautiful, and much-needed book.
on June 16, 2014
A fantastic devotional resource for singers. If you are interested in chanting the psalms this is a great place to start.